Kitchen scale... Use em?

Options
azcowgirrlup
azcowgirrlup Posts: 205 Member
I am wondering how many of you use a kitchen scale. . They seem rather inexpensive, but I don't need another kitchen tool that I don't use. . Are they really helpful to you? I do wonder if some of my portions are off, but I am curious if a scale has helped any of you. TIA!

Replies

• ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Every day. I count calories as well as carbs and that's the only way I really know what's going in.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I use scale all the time, it's getting to the point that I pretty much know what food weights what, but sometimes I need that assurance to keep with my macros and goals
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    GSD_Mama wrote: »
    it's getting to the point that I pretty much know what food weights

That's what I found. I only used it in the early days till I was pretty well trained on portion sizes.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Yes, much more accurate with my scale. And a lot fewer measuring cups/spoons to clean.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I am wondering how many of you use a kitchen scale. . They seem rather inexpensive, but I don't need another kitchen tool that I don't use. . Are they really helpful to you? I do wonder if some of my portions are off, but I am curious if a scale has helped any of you. TIA!

Ditto all of the above. If your plan is to lose weight, then a scale is an excellent tool. I religiously use MFP and a kitchen scale. Now that I've used the scale for 8ish months and since I will be entering maintenance by the end of the year, ~ I want to be able to know how much food I am ingesting. Yes, its a hassle now, logging and weighing, but they are teaching tools. My goal, in maintenance, is to eat properly without the use of scales and MFP.

And its certainly an eye opener to how easy it is to put too much (calories and/or carbs) on your plate. To not use a scale & MFP, would be like trying to run a company without the use of accounting software, and not write down your checks in your checkbook ledger. Use this analogy:

Kitchen scale/Weighing food = how much the check amount is
    MFP = a checkbook ledger and/or accounting software

Do you think a company could survive without the two things above? MFP and scales help us correctly account for carbs & calories.

I help people now in my church, and I tell them to forget about successfully losing weight if they can't, at minimum, do MFP. I further tell those, that eat a lot of home cooked meals, to get a scale. If you eat at chain restaurants, you pretty much can find the correct size/portion on MFP. But the home cooked meals don't have bar-codes on them.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
  • 35in90
    35in90 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love mine! Also comes in handy for recipes.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I use it, and unlike lots of kitchen things, it really takes up very little space and is not expensive compared to many other things you can get for the kitchen.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need one -- in fact I know you don't need one. Before MFP I never weighed my food and was just as successful counting calories approximating serving sizes and using measuring cups but I have a scale now and use it everyday. It's quicker and easier and it's really nice to know exactly how much meat and produce I'm eating instead of guesstimating.

It's not needed but I think most people find it helpful; it takes the guess work out of logging.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Love my scale. Daily user. It is a pretty cheap one. Got it at WalMart.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    An accurate scale leads to an accurate food log.

Potentially

:)

If you use it!

I like my scale. Used it this morning to weigh some mixed nuts. Last night after trimming a steak.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I use one and it's very helpful. Very! It's amazing to discover how much I'd really been eating. Seeing how many cashews is 1 oz. vs. how many I'd been eating before. omg... :confused:

I bought a digital one that's really flat and fits nicely on top of my microwave which has a very small clearance between it and the cupboard above. So the scale isn't in my way at all. I don't even worry too much about if it's getting dusty because I never put food directly on it. I use a plate or something and put the food in that. So I just wipe it as I'm wiping up around the counter.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I definitely need one.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I use one and it's very helpful. Very! It's amazing to discover how much I'd really been eating. Seeing how many cashews is 1 oz. vs. how many I'd been eating before. omg... :confused:

I bought a digital one that's really flat and fits nicely on top of my microwave which has a very small clearance between it and the cupboard above. So the scale isn't in my way at all. I don't even worry too much about if it's getting dusty because I never put food directly on it. I use a plate or something and put the food in that. So I just wipe it as I'm wiping up around the counter.

On the cahsews...

1/4 cup serving. That is silly. Who eats that tiny bit? That is a tease not a serving!

A single ounce as well. Just not right.

• CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    You NEED a kitchen scale if you want to log accurately - id be lost without mine.
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone sooooo much! I just ordered one and it should be here Monday. I see now that I probably should have bought one sooner, but I really didn't even think of it until today. I am wondering how far over I am going to discover I have been on my estimating... Yikes!

I really need to succeed at this and I agree, it will be a necessary tool for my success.

You are all so supportive. Thank you!
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Great stuff, azcowgirrlup - it'll really help you get to grips with portion sizes etc and improves your accuracy with logging ten-fold.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    When I joined MFP I thought that to weigh and log everything was a bore. I sometimes used to log but I guesstimated the weight. Then I started ZC and because it was such an extreme diet I wanted a rigorous idea of what was happening so for the last month I weighed everything except seasonings. Guess what? My "guesstimates" were almost always wrong, sometimes by a lot. So, still a bore but now I use the scale for everything and log what I actually eat.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I use mine pretty much every day. Doesn't use much space and keeps portion creep away.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I use mine daily, I actually found for a lot of things that my guesstimates were under what the actual serving size was. You definitely need one for accurate logging.
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I use mine too! Can't be dealing with guessing and cup sizes