Within-range, trying every-other-day method!

Options
XoXi43
XoXi43 Posts: 8 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
Greetings, All! I joined MFP around 6/20/15. I'm a 43 year-old female who is MFP-blogging about an experiment with her own version of the every-other-day diet (Eat 500 calories one day, 1500 the next, repeat!). Check out my daily blog entries to see how things go. Trying to find others eating this way or in a similar way, e.g., the 5:2 diet (better known in the UK?). Whether you are eating as such or just curious, feel free to send a friend request. FYI: I shoot for 20% carbs, 45% fat, and 35% protein (after trying radically different macro sets, I have found that my body really likes this ratio for macros: I feel most satisfied, less hungry, if ever hungry, with these macros). Also, I'm 62 inches tall, currently weighing 122.5 pounds, shooting first for 118 and then maybe 115 pounds. My lowest weight (in my early 30s) was 107lbs but I was 33% body fat: skinny-fat. My heaviest since my 30s has been 130 pounds (December 2014). The last time I was professionally measured (April 2015) I was at 22.5% body fat but that was when I was lifting, which I have had to take a break from due to thoracic pain. I would like to hover closer to 20% fat as that seems doable, easy to maintain.

Replies

• genki90
    genki90 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the "every-other-day" diet, but your calories seem really low to me. 2000 calories for 2 days gets you to 1000 calories/day. I don't think that's healthy for your height. I would suggest you to calculate your daily calories with MFP or Scooby's calculator ( http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ ) and then devide the calories to fit that "every other day" diet plan.
  • XoXi43
    Options
    It seems you missed the point of my post. I'm already quite aware of your concerns.
  • nyusha
    nyusha Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's that crazy, i eat just over (1200) that on any given two days if i want to lose and i'm 10cm taller than the OP. I've never tried 5-2, curious what you think? how long have you been doing it?
  • gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    XoXi43 wrote: »
    It seems you missed the point of my post. I'm already quite aware of your concerns.

Ouch, @genki90 shot down for posting a valid concern in a public, interactive forum.
  • XoXi43
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Not shooting you down at all, Gypsyish! This is an interactive forum but I clearly wasn't seeking advice. The VERY point of the post was to recruit those open to an experiment. Your point may have been valid (but of course that doesn't make it true). More importantly, your point was irrelevant given the aforementioned primary feature of my initial post. If I wanted input on my decision, I would have asked for it.
  • XoXi43
    edited June 2015
    Options
    nyusha wrote: »
    I don't think it's that crazy, i eat just over (1200) that on any given two days if i want to lose and i'm 10cm taller than the OP. I've never tried 5-2, curious what you think? how long have you been doing it?
    Hey, Nyusha!

I don't have much insight (due to a lack of experience and research) with respect to any plan focused on alternating high calorie and low calorie days. I give a lot of details about daily experiences with the every-other-day diet in my blog, to which I post daily. I'm just going about this in an open-minded exploratory way to see what happens. So, far I have been at it for just 4 days. I've heard/read that it takes about 10 days to get acclimated.

I have done the Paleo thing, the South Beach diet, and even followed expensive nutrition plans provided by those who train bikini competitors (which involves a lot of calories everyday, especially carbs and protein, with carb cycling thrown in). So, I do have some experience with and am quite aware of all the different takes on how to eat.

I have also tried doing 8hr-16hr and 10hr-14hr fasting regimens but I haven't been able to do those.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    It seems a bit too restrictive for me, personally. 500 is VERY hard to stick to.
  • carole4000
    carole4000 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've tried 5:2 on occasions though need to be in the right frame of mind! Now have a few 500 calorie menus I like and makes me appreciate my evening meal or looking forward to the following 'normal' day. Must try this again! :)