Any medical school students?

Options
elfman5150
elfman5150 Posts: 116 Member
Hey all - I just joined this group and am a post-bacc student, and will be starting medical school this August! I was hoping/wondering if there are any medical students in this group, and if they have any advice for staying in shape during the rigorous four years of med school. I know there are certainly people who manage to lift everyday, and find a way to keep their lifestyle healthy during their schooling. It's encouraging for someone like me, so please feel free to share your experiences.
- Thanks!
-

Replies

• queencelina
    queencelina Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    congrats on getting into medical school! i wish i had made it where you are! my cousin just got in too. I'm actually going to pursue nursing! good luck!
  • elfman5150
    Options
    Thanks and best of luck to you in nursing! The health field is a great field to be in in today's world
  • zingeber
    zingeber Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I'm halfway through M1 so I can't necessarily speak for the long term, but make sure you carve out at least half an hour a day for exercise, and make time to cook decent food. It won't seem like you have time at first, but just do it. It will help keep you sane... And you'll learn better and faster too. I think you'll find that there is a big focus on wellness among schools and students, and you will find supportive people for whatever your goals are. Best of luck as you start med school! It's tough at times but there is nothing else I'd rather be doing. Feel free to add me if you'd like
  • elfman5150
    Options
    zingeber wrote: »
    Congratulations!! I'm halfway through M1 so I can't necessarily speak for the long term, but make sure you carve out at least half an hour a day for exercise, and make time to cook decent food. It won't seem like you have time at first, but just do it. It will help keep you sane... And you'll learn better and faster too. I think you'll find that there is a big focus on wellness among schools and students, and you will find supportive people for whatever your goals are. Best of luck as you start med school! It's tough at times but there is nothing else I'd rather be doing. Feel free to add me if you'd like

I'm definitely glad to hear this. The best advice I've heard is to hold on to three things you don't want to give up during school. For me, this would be exercise (primarily weight-lifting), hiking, and going out with friends for some nice beer and drinks. I know that it's ultimately about time management, and I expect that I'll figure out the best way to prioritize my time after a month or so of starting. Unfortunately, attendance is mandatory for all classes, but I know that will be best for me in the long run.
  • SuddenlyStarry
    SuddenlyStarry Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I anticipate applying once I get close to finishing my Bachelor's so I am not yet a Med student. However, I am interested in seeing if there are a lot of people who struggle with staying fit. Good luck!
  • bandgeek10191
    bandgeek10191 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    elfman5150 wrote: »

I'm definitely glad to hear this. The best advice I've heard is to hold on to three things you don't want to give up during school. For me, this would be exercise (primarily weight-lifting), hiking, and going out with friends for some nice beer and drinks. I know that it's ultimately about time management, and I expect that I'll figure out the best way to prioritize my time after a month or so of starting. Unfortunately, attendance is mandatory for all classes, but I know that will be best for me in the long run.

I really like the idea of picking 3 things you don't want to give up during med school. I'm attending a post-baccalaureate program this summer so that is good advice to have for when I eventually go to med school and even for now. Thanks for passing that along!
  • johnjr91
    johnjr91 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dude, it's hard. I'm finishing my first year, now. It all depends on your personality. Are you able to force yourself into the gym after a really long and mentally draining day? What happens when you do poorly on a test? Medical school is going to hit you like a ton of bricks. It's unlike anything you have done before, academically speaking, unless you went to law school before (I've heard). Time management skills are pretty key as well.
  • erichknguyen
    erichknguyen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

Australian GEMP1 medical student here procrastinating during my first exams. A nice way a friend of mine put it is that "there is never a good time to go to the gym"! Motivation will play a big role in what you do to keep yourself fit but if there is a will, there is a way! I've found that eating well definitely helps in keeping me mentally as well as physically fit. Fitmencook.com and slow cooker recipes have been useful for food prep!

But! Give yourself time to adjust, but make sure you have key goals set and aimed at.

And definitely never forsake the opportunity to relax with your colleagues when the time arises. Unless you're preparing for competition bodybuilding, kicking your shoes off sometimes won't hurt!
  • MTDDS18
    MTDDS18 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm a D2 and have found that finding the time to work out and be healthy depends on you.

Take one day a week and meal prep for the following week. Having your lunch pre-packed will help you avoid the temptation to make a visit to the school or hospital cafeteria. With the stress of classes, exams, patients, etc it is easy to fall into the habit of stress eating, so getting the diet under control is the best place to start.

Check out your schools gym. If you go to a public university, like I do, it should have pretty expanded hours and even offer classes you can attend. A classmate and I found it really easy to keep motivated by attending a 5:45am class 3-4 times a week. With classes 8-5pm, and then usually lab/clinic work after that it was easier to get exercise over and done with in the morning and have the rest of the day to focus on school.
  • BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Finishing up my 2nd year soon. I personally have not been disciplined enough to continue the 5 days a week I did before starting school. I am lucky to get 2 days a week in the gym but I also walk at least a mile round trip to get anywhere in my town so that helps a ton.

I have seen a ton of very dedicated people who are here and somehow carve out 1.5 hrs a day 6 times a week. Those people usually have gym time scheduled on their calendars at the same time everyday. Even still the few days leading up to an exam or the week before finals most people end up skipping workouts to focus on school.

Ultimately as I try and increase my workout habits I realize it has always been a mental game. As long as I plan ahead and tell myself, this is good for you and when you finish you're gonna study 3x harder, then I make the time.
  • InsaneFitness94
    InsaneFitness94 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Congrats on getting to medschool :smiley:

I just finished my first year, and am currently enjoying my summer vacation.
    Anyway, I agree totally with @BobSassafrass
    In the beginning of the school year I was all gung ho about exercising every day and as time went by and the stack of stuff to study kept piling up, I began exercising every other day. Then, as assignments started pouring in, it become an every weekend thing. As time passed by, exercise suddenly became less important in my mind, and I only did it once every two weeks, or when my friends and I suddenly decided to go to the gym together. Tbh, near my exams, it was a miracle if I exercised at all! The only exercise I did constantly was walk. I would not stand still. I kept doing calf raises while taking to friends, and it was awkward at first, but soon everyone was doing it, haha! Just keep moving :smile:

Though I have said all of the above, it is still totally possible to exercise every day if that is what you wanted to do. It is all about priorities. For me, spending time with my family and friends took up most of my time. And also watching tv shows and spending time online :pensive: Not too proud of myself for that though, haha!

Regardless, I do want to let you know, that one of best friends who btw came in top of my cohort for the year spends hours at gym each night, and sports a heck of an eight-pack if I do say so myself, haha :wink: He pre-plans all of his meals and yet always has room for beer!

Good luck!
  • ejb06070
    ejb06070 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm actually pre-med, just finishing my Associate's this Fall. I still have a few years left before I apply (and hopefully get in!) to medical school.
  • Joelewisworthington
    Options
    Not Med but Pharmacy! PY2 and 30lbs heavier since start! Daily conversation goes like this: I can't cook I've got to study. Tracking my food reveals off the charts sodium and sugar.
  • chrisdotcomm
    chrisdotcomm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately my story is similar to Joe's ^

I'm in my third year of veterinary school and I've noted a 20-25 pound increase in weight and sky-high sodium levels (especially near exam dates). BUT I have very good friends who manage to stay on course and have actually gotten into much better shape over the three years I've known them. I'll be working with them this upcoming semester to devote more attention to my fitness. It's definitely doable, but you have to want it!