HELP! Scale NOT moving!

Options
DrivenPrincess
DrivenPrincess Posts: 10 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
Hi LC Community!
I am hoping for your feedback!! I have been solid low carb for past 14 days, I'm down ONLY 5 lbs (220-215lbs). I have 80 lbs to loose.

I've done LC in the past and by now, I would expect to be down at least 10lbs. I keep NET carbs at about 18-20 per day, and about 65% FAT, 30%Protein and 5% carbs.

I started working out (Cardio interval training - 30-45minutes 4x/week).

I know I shouldnt be so fixated on the scale...But why isn't the scale going down faster?? What's your experience been?

Replies

• CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Well honestly I would stop having expectations and just let your body do it's thing. I know that is difficult! 5lbs is great though for two weeks. You typically want slow and steady weight loss because that is more likely to be maintained. When embarking on this WOE, the first two weeks you lose the most weight because you are depleting your glycogen stores.
    Try to be patient :) you will get where you want to be! And this is a fantastic community, everyone is very helpful and there are plenty of resources.
  • 35in90
    35in90 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    don't sell youself short! 5 pounds in 2 weeks is fantastic. I don't lose anywhere near that quickly. keep it up!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    35in90 wrote: »
    don't sell youself short! 5 pounds in 2 weeks is fantastic. I don't lose anywhere near that quickly. keep it up!

Yeah. A 5lb drop in two weeks is most certainly not "not moving."

You're talking a 2.5lb per week drop, which is fantastic.

The big drops you hear about are nearly always water weight from people switching from SAD. Take a look at the Launch Pad, stickied at the top, and especially check out the post entitled "The Scale is a Lying Liar Pants" for some perspective.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I would like to see 5 lbs in two weeks but it would be too fast for me.

Sounds like good progress

To be 10 lbs of fat down would be 35000 calories in deficit. That would be 2500 a day burnt off after burning off anything you eat!!

10 pounds in two weeks would probably be lots of water content as well.

Just keep at it. You are doing very well!

• CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

The big drops you hear about are nearly always water weight from people switching from SAD. Take a look at the Launch Pad, stickied at the top, and especially check out the post entitled "The Scale is a Lying Liar Pants" for some perspective.

Totally agree. You're doing great!

• DrivenPrincess
    Options
    :) Thank you all! I appreciate it. I will just go with the flow. I'm doing the right things...body just needs to catch up. As you can see, patiences is NOT my "thing"!! Thanks for support!
  • DrivenPrincess
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Thanks. I check out the resources you mentioned!!
  • DrivenPrincess
    edited June 2015
    Options
    From the Article, "The Scale is a Lying Liar Pants"!! had to repost this. It really encouraged me!!!

What Can I Do About a Lying Scale?
    The number on the scale isn't the only character in our weight loss story. The scale lies. So how do we see the truth? The scale is going to bounce all around like a kangaroo on crack....And that's perfectly okay, as long as the overall trend is downward. What you need to do, for your own sanity, is read a different character's story.

Our Other Characters:
    •Measurements. Regularly keep your measurements. Grab a measuring tape and every week or two and keep track of what your body is physically doing. When your body is holding onto water for the above reasons, or you have gained muscle, often you will have lost inches, even if the scale has bounced up or showed no change.

•Pictures. Take progress pics of yourself every few weeks. Using this in tandem with your measurements will show you in a tangible way how far you have come, even if the scale hasn't changed much. Some people can finally see in pictures what they can't see in the mirror.

•Clothing Fit. Use how your clothes feel on you as a guide. Often, if you are tracking well and keeping your calories in check, but the scale is being a twit, chances are your clothes will start to get loose in places or even just look better on your body.

•Health. How do you feel? So what if the scale isn't moving like gangbusters? You are getting healthier and feeling better. That is a NSV in itself.

• linderbelle
    linderbelle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Driven--I'm not very patient either. I started this on 6/6 and the first week lost 5.6 and was ecstatic and then the second week lost 1.2 so a total of 6.8 for two weeks. I guess I expected more like you did. The scale just hasn't been moving much since the start of my week 2. I keep waiting to get on it and have a few pounds loss. I haven't measured and I know I need to. We're doing what we're suppose to be doing!!! It goes on so much easier than it does getting off.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm not a patient guy either. Most on this list don't have a timeframe for losing. I do. In standard Keto dieting, a loss of 2.5 @ week (after the initial water loss at the beginning of the diet) would be excellent. Normally 1/2 to 1 1/2 lbs @ week is normal.

To enhance the speed at which I lose, I skip-a-day-of-eating (water only fast) once a week. That greatly speeds up weight loss. It works every time its tried and its a very healthy thing to do for your body.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs

• DrivenPrincess
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I'm not a patient guy either. Most on this list don't have a timeframe for losing. I do. In standard Keto dieting, a loss of 2.5 @ week (after the initial water loss at the beginning of the diet) would be excellent. Normally 1/2 to 1 1/2 lbs @ week is normal.

To enhance the speed at which I lose, I skip-a-day-of-eating (water only fast) once a week. That greatly speeds up weight loss. It works every time its tried and its a very healthy thing to do for your body.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs

Thank you Dan!!! I will try a day fast. With my decreased appetite, I'm sure I could manage no problem.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I didn't drop much in the first 2 weeks. It took about a month for me to start seeing some more consistent losses. I think that my hormones or something just needed time to adjust.