Low energy

Options
illmatic7
illmatic7 Posts: 24 Member
my macros are perfect but I don't feel like I'm in ketosis energy been real low lately any input guys need help!

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    A lot of the times you complete your diary, you are under goal, but I can't see by how much because it's closed. If you're not getting enough calories, even if the macro percentages are right, you're not going to have enough energy. This is doubly true if you're working out in any way. You don't have to hit your calories by the exact amount every day, but dropping too low is a bad idea, too. You also might want to look again at your numbers to make sure you're not starting too low to begin with: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • illmatic7
    Options
    Ok thank you
  • illmatic7
    Options
    How do I open it so you can check my stuff out
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Settings>diary settings>diary sharing, set it to friends or public
  • gemberly
    gemberly Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I also know that if I'm not supplementing my electrolytes, then, I am feeling the way you describe, also.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    My guess is you are not eating enough. There was a couple days within the past week that you were 1,000 calories, 1200 calories. And then a few days around 1300-1500 calories. Even baseline for a male, 1500 is low. I'd try upping your calories a bit. Keep those low low days few and far between.
  • laurajr123
    laurajr123 Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Add a little salt to your diet. I drink two cups of bullion a day and it helps. Also how long have you been in ketosis? It took me 3 weeks to adjust and get my energy back.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the salt. I've felt a bit sluggish of a couple days and realized I hadn't got my regular ration of salt.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Here's the order of things to check.
    Check electrolytes.
    Check calories.
    Check if you've been doing it long enough to be fat-adapted.
    Check fat intake.

And in the off chance that you are a weirdo like me (and are also very active) you might want to think about eating a little bit more protein, if none of the rest of the above works after you've given them 4-6 weeks. People are going to freak and call "gluconeogenesis", but I've been doing keto for over a year. I checked my cals, electrolytes, and ate more fat, but I was still tired even though I was fully fat-adapted. I tweaked my macros by upping my protein by about 20g, decreasing the fat macro. And BAM, fixed.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    What percentage & grams protein were you eating, and what now?

I wasnt meeting my protein macros for a while and felt terrible. I dont know if its a coincidence but since ive been meeting my 25% protein goal i do feel better.

Definitely agree with supplementing with potassium & magnesium and drinking salty broth 2x a day for sodium. Your body requires a huge amount of these electrolytes when in ketosis. Im trying to supplement with around 2,000mg-3,000mg extra potassium split throughout the day and 500mg magnesium. Im hoping this will be sufficient as potassium in large doses tastes vile to me.

Even after these requirements are met some people take longer to adjust to this woe, and like myself, can feel like absolute death prior to adapting. Its taken me over 4 weeks to start feeling human again since going keto, and i was low-carb before that but it still made me really sick for a long while... and in all that time, to add insult to injury, i didnt lose a pound. But today i woke up feeling so much better and to a scale loss of 4 pounds, so im feeling positive and hopeful, and at this point i would say it is worth sticking with keto a little longer because you never know how close you are to success.

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I just posted few days ago how I was completely exhauusted. So tired I could just cry. I started back on my multi vitamin, vitamin d, b12, tumeric (for my plantar fasciitis), using lo salt for the potassium and taking natural calm for themagnesium. I feel better already! Haven't felt tired yesterday or today so I think I'm back in the game.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @AngInCanada so happy to hear that
  • luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Saving this for supplement ideas :blush:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Three cheers!!!