Avocados

Options
mlschuetz
mlschuetz Posts: 5 Member
Im a bit confused. I have been sort of avoiding them because every time I eat one, its adds 17 g of carbs to my count and throws my percentages way off. I asked as an aside on Reddit, and got 'Make sure to deduct the fiber, which will leave you with net carbs. Carbs - fiber = net carbs. Net carbs is the number you want to live by when eating keto.'

This is information I knew before, but i didnt think i had to worry about it, because avocados are already in MFP, so i figured the net carbs would be added to my diet. Do i have to do this for every item i eat? have i been off all this time because i havent modified each entry my subtracting fibre? Why doesnt MFP just put in the net carbs?

sorry, I hope i worded that correctly. The bottom line, i cant readily see what the breakdown is in MFP and i dont want to have to google stuff and make adjustments every time i eat an avocado.

Replies

• DASH423
    DASH423 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Subtracting fiber from carbs can suck a little, I know. I wish they'd add a net carbs category! Unfortunately you do have to do this every day, since there isn't a net carbs category - but it's pretty easy.

I have my food diary set up so that I see the following categories/nutrients: protein, fat, carbs, fiber, sodium. By keeping carbs and fiber close, all I have to do is take a quick look at it and do a little math in my head.

Example: if you ate 100g avocado, it would say "9 carbs" and "7 fiber" - which means 2 net carbs.

You don't actually have to do that for every individual item - you just have to do that for the "totals" at the bottom, to make sure you're on track. I recommend putting food in before you eat it; in case you go over your net carbs, you can adjust.
  • mlschuetz
    Options
    Ahhh this is enlightening. Thank you. Ok, i switched mine as well. All this time i would eat healthy stuff and then go over in carbs and it was super restricted. But yet I seemed to still reach ketosis, so that explains things.

I was always confused because i read that the european labels record net carbs but the american ones dont. I am europe, so most of my items come from scanning the bar code. But produce I just get from the database, which is likely american. I hope by doing that daily subtraction i wont be undercompensating in the OTHER direction and double accounting for fibre on the european products, whereas before i was overcompensating by not accounting for fibre on the american products.
  • MFP_Rob
    MFP_Rob Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started keto 1-1/2 weeks ago and was not substracting fiber to get to net carbs. I'm eating lots of broccoli, cauliflower and asparagus and hovering around 50g of total carbs.

I guess I am doing well since by substracting the fiber I would actually get to 20g-30g a day.
  • mlschuetz
    Options
    i was doing the same rob - maybe ignorance is bliss because we were both getting way less carbs than we thought! The only problem was I was avoiding some great foods because of it :smiley:
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    There is a mod you can add that makes MFP do NET carbs. I'll try and track it down and post it. I haven't done it yet because this my computer at work and so I can't add anything to my desktop/webpages etc.
  • Sesame85
    Sesame85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found your solution mlschuetz! I also put my numbers next to each other (carbs | Fiber) but I also add food notes for everything. At the end of the day it'll say like... "-3nuts, -4 avocado, -4 chocolate net 17" I make a note as I go and at the end of the day, I'll add up the deductions and subtract it in one go.
  • ThatNeuroGuy
    ThatNeuroGuy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I believe this is the script you're looking for. Enjoy!
    http://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/