Portion control... not your usual method

Options
SlimBride2Be
SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
This is going to sound NUTS but I've discovered an amazing way to make myself feel satisfied with smaller meals. Tight jeans!! I bought a new pair which are only just not uncomfortable and they come quite high up the waist (amazing jeans for those who want to know - the brand is Salsa - they have inbuilt Spanx!)
Anyway I have discovered that if I wear tight Spanx or these jeans it automatically triggers my brain/stomach cut-off when I have eaten a reasonable portion. Tonight I have 500 calories left (nearly all exercise extras) and I just don't want to eat them as I am getting the stomach fullness triggers I struggle to recognise. (I am that person who just eats and eats and doesn't have a cut-off). Something to remember next time I am struggling with portion control!

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    It makes sense

If your body is saying it is getting too big, clothes too tight....

I can see it working
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that wouldn't help me. I'd be likely to go put some loose clothes on because I hate that too tight feeling. Often the first thing I do when I get home from work is put on pajamas or something loose with elastic.
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    That was me too! I've realised it was so I could comfortably eat a massive meal which obviously isn't great!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    My approach to last meal / end of day portion control is to think ahead before I get to the last meal or end of the day. I know I generally take in between 300 - 500 calories per meal, and depending on my running schedule will already know or can quite accurately estimate the burn.

As I plan + have lunch or afternoon snack I'll know if I have enough left for the meal I want for dinner, or can scale back lunch/snack as needed. If I am on the edge, knowing the remaining balance plus a glass of water is usually enough to get me through it.

Tight pants? I can see that working but the longer I do this (started in September) I find that I can't actually take in massive meals any more without feeling uncomfortable. Instead of wearing tight pants, eating my meal a little slower often convinces me that I don't need something additional.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Agree. I knew with myself that when I used only wrap skirts and stopped wearing jeans, it was because they probably wouldn't fit anymore.

A bit too tight clothes are a very tangible way to measure progress. Congrats on finding something that naturally limits you. I'll try this myself :)
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    That was me too! I've realised it was so I could comfortably eat a massive meal which obviously isn't great!

Kind of like the opposite of wearing pants with elastic waistbands for Thanksgiving dinner.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Fatsgiving.

I would gain a few pounds overs those days....

I'm probably burning off some pumpkin pie from 1998 tonight at the gym
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Lol - but do you get hungry when you take them off at night for bed?
  • cdpits
    cdpits Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing!! The only jeans/pants I wear are Carharts (I have big legs and they are suited to my body style) I got rid of all my jeans etc that had any kind of stretch to them. Then if I go off track and they start getting to tight, I remind myself that there is nothing else in my closet thats is gonna fit. Weird, but it helps keep me on track !
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I wear tighter clothing when I'm dieting to remind myself to eat less, not because of the tightness/fullness factor.... but if it works for you!! :)
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    tight pants could work for me too but not because they're constricting my stomach... because I feel I will burst out of them if I eat like a horse, lol.