My mulberry conundrum

Options
pwatol
pwatol Posts: 326 Member
It looks like I'll be getting a bumper crop off my mulberry trees this year, and I find myself with a conundrum: what am I going to do with them? In the past, I've made jam, muffins, and mousse, but those are all high calorie treats that I'm trying to avoid right now (regular consumption certainly doesn't fit within my MFP calorie goals).

Any suggestions? I'm looking for ideas that work when you're cooking for 1 (no big batches or stuff that's 10+ servings) and that come out to 200 calories or less per serving. I'd like to do something a little more interesting than "add to yogurt". :lol:

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    in for responses......I was just thinking about this the other day.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Freeze dry....add frozen berries to a shake.Mix with any other fruit you like such as melon,bluberries,banana.Add to applesauce.Use in a low calorie trifle,on cereal....warm or cold,in salad,sprinkle a bit of cinnamon sugar on berries for breakfast or a snack.Mix berries & CoolWhip ...eat when partly frozen.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    "Mulberry Conundrum" sounds like the title of a Wes Anderson movie. :p
  • Whiskeytub
    Whiskeytub Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Cook them down, add sugar (or not) and make a syrup. You can add it to salad dressings, beverages or top desserts with it. You can also glaze pork or other meat with it. Put a bunch in nice bottles and give it as gifts.

I like to mix seltzer water, kombucha and a little berry syrup when I feel like eating but know I don't really need to.

Also, make a balsamic reduction to use in place of salad dressing - 2 cups balsamic vinegar, a couple cloves of garlic, a sprig of fresh rosemary and as much or little berry syrup as you would like (or you can throw in actual berries). A tablespoon or so of brown sugar (more or less depending on whether you add sugar to you berry syrup). Simmer, stirring frequently for quite a long time until the reduction drips slowly down the spoon. Remember that the reduction will thicken significantly while it cools. If you reduce it too much you can always reheat and add water. You can get creative with your additions - I do a manhattan one where I add sweet vermouth and bitters.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I would see what my neighbours have and swap (assuming they have vege gardens and such), mmmm I'm thinking about mulberry pie right now, dehydrate them, freeze them, mix it in a green leaf salad, but pie *sigh*
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You could can your own jelly using a non-sugar formula. Most pectin jells require sugar, but you can find info in this article http://www.healthycanning.com/no-sugar-needed-pectins/
  • firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    When I was a teenager living in Illinois we used to pick mulberries...haven't had any since. Anyway, my favorite thing back then was to freeze them and then get some out and eat them frozen. I remember thinking it was like mulberry ice cream...but it was just the berries. *shrug*