New to the group, cycling, and tri/dua!

Options
lishie_rebooted
lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
Howdy!

I tanked it on a run back in April, breaking my fibula.
I'm still not running, I'm not entirely sure when I'm looking to be able to run again - I'm guessing late June, early July (this is due to another injury besides my ankle).

My physical therapist told me to hop on a bike to get my cardio in and to help with my PFS (not the injury I mentioned above lol). So I did. I had a trainer already and an old Trek 800 Sport Hybrid. Useless hybrid IMO - mountain bike tires but no shocks so it made for a heavy road bike. So I bought a new bike, on a whim since that's how I operate. I still have a hybrid but a much lighter one and far narrower tires - Bianchi Camaleonte 1. I did try a true road bike, I felt very unstable. Didn't help that it was windy that day and I was still largely wearing the boot for my broken ankle (I make really good decisions lol)

I've deferred most of my fall races since I know I won't be able to train properly for the distances (I had a 10mi, half, and 25k lined up. Anyone want that half bib? It's up for transfer in July lol)

But I started looking at triathlons and duathlons nearby.
Not many in Maine and NH that lined up with when I'd be able to run again.
BUT I found one!
I'm going to do the spring dua since I have no way to train for the swim. Tho I'm tempted to saw eff it and do the 1/3mi open water swim anyway.

So this course would be 2mi run, 13.7mi ride, 5k run.
Is that the typical sprint distance??

How do you transition?
Do you run in padded shorts or say eff it and have no padding?
Do you change?

Is there a website that has some training plans??

I'm not looking to race it since 1. it's my first go about 2. my running will still be coming back 3. it'll be a PR regardless lol

My goal is to finish the damn thing while having fun!

I've done 10mi on my trainer which is my longest ride thus far. And I did a 9mi ride outside on similar elevation to the race. Hills suck. How the eff do I train for hills on a trainer?? Where I live in Maine isn't very hilly (shockingly!) and I'm fairly certain this section of NH is hillier so I'd like to be prepared...

Thanks for listening to my rambles =]
And seriously, cycling/tri/dua friends would be awesome if anyone wants to be subjected to my rambles and questions

Lishie

Replies

• EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is typical sprint distance. Don't make a big deal about transitions - the purpose of this first race is to figure out how transitions work. Do a test ride in unpadded shorts and see how you feel. Since you're not swimming, there's no reason to buy a pair of tri shorts (they are made of swimsuit material and lightly padded so they drain water and are comfortable enough to run in.) Check out Beginner Triathlete. Alternatively, take your normal run program and substitute some riding for running. Brick (bike then run or run then bike) days are also good. Riding is generally less taxing than running, so a 30 minute run might correlate to 60 minutes of cycling.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's a pretty typical distance breakdown.

Transition... generally you get a spot for your gear. After the first run leg, you run in, change yoru shoes, put on your helmet and grab your bike... walk/run (don't ride) your bike out of transition, then ride the bike leg. Then you walk/run the bike back into transition, change your shoes, re-rack your bike, drop your helmet and do the final run leg.

Clothing is largely personal preference... I run in padded shorts. Tri shorts (vs road shorts) have a less, uh, intrusive chamois that is very comfortable to run in.

I'm sure there are training plans out there, but I don't know of any off the top of my head. I'm sure a quick search will turn up a variety of info. Perhaps start at beginnertriathlete and go from there.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    [quote="lishie_rebooted;10174473"

So this course would be 2mi run, 13.7mi ride, 5k run.
    Is that the typical sprint distance??

How do you transition?
    Do you run in padded shorts or say eff it and have no padding?
    Do you change?

Is there a website that has some training plans??

I'm not looking to race it since 1. it's my first go about 2. my running will still be coming back 3. it'll be a PR regardless lol

My goal is to finish the damn thing while having fun!

I've done 10mi on my trainer which is my longest ride thus far. And I did a 9mi ride outside on similar elevation to the race. Hills suck. How the eff do I train for hills on a trainer?? Where I live in Maine isn't very hilly (shockingly!) and I'm fairly certain this section of NH is hillier so I'd like to be prepared...
    [/quote]

yes, that is a typical sprint distance duathlon.

transition is going to be really easy for you. i'm assuming that you don't have clipless pedals, that you'll keep your sneakers on the whole time. you just run to your bike, put your helmet on first, and then head out. seriously, nothing else. then when you are done with the bike leg just walk your bike into transition (yes, you get off your bike before entering the transition area) and rack it in the same location as it originally was. then head out for your run.

most people will do the race in tri shorts. they have less padding than typical cycling shorts, and designed with comfort in mind. you can get away with not wearing them on your first duathlon, but they're comfy to run in as well.

no, do not change. there is no changing of outfits in a race.

beginnertriathlete.com has lots of training plans.

hills on a trainer are simulated by going in higher gears, but there is no real simulation for being outside and on hills.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!

I don't currently have clipless pedals. I was planning on getting some soon-ish.
    I'm also planning on spending June working on my endurance and *kitten* so in July/August, I can join one of the cycling groups and get used to riding with other people.

Really the biggest part I think I'm worried about it the transition from bike to run. Over the weekend, I want for a short walk post ride and I felt like a new born horse learning to walk lol.

I plan to do brick workouts once I'm cleared to run again, which is looking to be early July... my PT said "lets prove the PA wrong and get you running before you see her" (which is 13 Jul)
  • aceink64
    aceink64 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    that sounds great, that is the hardest transition for most people but with doing bricks you get use to the way it feels and your legs do come back. So is there a triathlon you have registered for yet, or are you just getting going? also with clipless pedals they are great once you get use to them also I will tell you right up front you are going to fall while learning to use the clipless pedals, but well worth it for gain the extra 30% of power you give up without them.
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When you practice the transition from bike to run (as in getting legs ready, not the actual transition set up) make sure you spend a bit of time prior to getting off the bike in a low gear. You want to be at roughly the same turnover rate that you would be running...so someplace between 80-90 (my sweet spot is low 80s, but many people are high 80s low 90s), maybe even a bit more. It makes the wobbly legs a little less wobbly.

high cadence/low gearing may work for you rather than mashing out the gears, esp with injuries.
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Oh and I did my first few tris on a hybrid and did just fine, good luck and have fun!
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I also mentally rehearse slowing down and getting off the bike as I come into T2. Wobbly legs can make this awkward too.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I just did my first duathlon earlier this month. It was 1.5/10/3.1 miles, which was a good beginning distance. The hardest part is definitely the second run; just remember that it is better to start it out walking than to hang around in transition resting. Either way you are losing time v running but less so if you are at least making way on the run course.

I wore a pair of Canari cycling liners under my run shorts (compression type) and it was a great combo. I wasn't ready to spend a bunch of money on tri shorts in case it ended up being something I didn't like. I do use clipless pedals but I'm not sure everyone did. There were people there on all sorts of bikes, in all sorts of get ups. I ride a cyclocross bike, and put some thinner tires on it for the race. The tri bikes were flying by me, but I managed to pass some other people as well, despite my less-than-optimal gearing. I plan on doing much better on my next race in September, primarily by training harder.

Here is the plan that I am using: http://www.espritdeshe.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2015/02/Esprit_de_She_Duathlon_Training_Guide.pdf

BTW, the race was the first time I had ridden with other riders. I was worried about not maintaining the spacing, etc, but it really wasn't an issue since its not like you're all out the gate at the same moment. In any case, consider that first race a learning experience.