Consider sardines

Options
deoxy4
deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
I struggle at times to get enough fat in my macro target. While shopping at Costco I purchased Season sardines in olive oil on sale for about $1.60/can on sale, if I remember correctly.

A can will provide you with 24 gm protein and 24 gm fat, 1.3 gm Omega-3, 220 mg sodium and are packaged without a BPA can lining.

For a quick lunch I pour the contents of the can over baby spinach, add a few olives, a tablespoon of feta, some diced onion and some sun dried tomatoes in olive oil. I find it a satisfying lunch. I know that many don't like sardines but it works for me.

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    all I think of when someone mentions sardines is my dad using the ones packed in mustard to make sandwiches that he would chase down with a glass of buttermilk. I used to follow him everywhere and I would always pretend I liked it, but really it was awful lol. though I was only about 5 years old so my tastes could have changed :smile:
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    My husband and I discussed how we both eat sardines for breakfast during one of our very first conversations. :)
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    @deoxy4 You are right! Great, healthy source of all the good stuff, and calcium! Even my kids will eat them over salads too, thankfully.
    @Queenmunchy , that's cute!
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Never been a big fan of sardines, but I love those smoked kipper snacks. I think the nutrition is about the same.
  • deoxy4
    Options
    I like smoked kippers too. I always ate them straight from the can. I could never figure out what to eat them with except crackers.

I did a search and I see people eat them warmed in a pan with butter with scrambled eggs. Going to give that a try with some sautéed onion an green pepper slices. Think that will work for me.
  • deoxy4
    Options
    all I think of when someone mentions sardines is my dad using the ones packed in mustard to make sandwiches that he would chase down with a glass of buttermilk. I used to follow him everywhere and I would always pretend I liked it, but really it was awful lol. though I was only about 5 years old so my tastes could have changed :smile:

My father liked sardines and buttermilk also. I don't remember him eating them together. Probably a good idea to expose your child to a wide variety of foods at an early age. I am shocked at the great number of picky eater adults. We always had "no thank you portions" of foods that we did not care for. Not many five year olds look forward to brussel sprouts. I rather like them now with bacon, butter and cracked black pepper.

Buttermilk is a creamier kefir with a bite. I have to be in the mood. You should try it again, you might be surprised.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    deoxy4 wrote: »
    I like smoked kippers too. I always ate them straight from the can. I could never figure out what to eat them with except crackers.

I did a search and I see people eat them warmed in a pan with butter with scrambled eggs. Going to give that a try with some sautéed onion an green pepper slices. Think that will work for me.

What are kippers? I can tolerate sardines (my fiance likes them, and he fed them to me on crackers, but not doing crackers anymore obviously)...but maybe on cheese crisps??

The in eggs part sounds possible, but what are kippers?? LOL My mom would eat all those things and I could never get past the smell!
  • deoxy4
    Options
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Kipper snacks are canned smoked herrings. My favorite way to serve them is for breakfast over a bed of spinach, with a poached egg on top.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    hflll4lrasdu.png9rc8sf2twxpv.jpg

I like this brand. I've tried both as my nighttime meal/snack.
    I love the recipe suggestions. I don't recommend bringing these to lunch at work. LOL.

• Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    hflll4lrasdu.png9rc8sf2twxpv.jpg

I like this brand. I've tried both as my nighttime meal/snack.
    I love the recipe suggestions. I don't recommend bringing these to lunch at work. LOL.

This is the brand we get, too. Full of good stuff:)!
  • deoxy4
    Options
    Will have to search Bar Harbor products, thanks.

I agree, about not taking fish to work. I could not believe the ruckus in the cafeteria.

I have found something that works. We have picnic tables outside. I choose a vacant table away from the other tables. I warn people that they are entering a fish zone. I double bag the remnants before putting them in the trash. I brush my teeth after eating. Success so far.
  • deoxy4
    Options
    This looks tasty. May substitute the cracker with a slice of cucumber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aS7EyWsOQc
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've sauteed sardines in unsalted butter with mackerel, fresh salsa, fresh garlic, added diced onions, lime juice and a side of fresh guacamole....mmm mmm gooood
  • deoxy4
    Options
    I've sauteed sardines in unsalted butter with mackerel, fresh salsa, fresh garlic, added diced onions, lime juice and a side of fresh guacamole....mmm mmm gooood

Heavenly! Thank you! Don't have mackerel but have sardines. Plan to use your ideas tonight, with some grill roasted peppers and a side of humus with the salsa and guacamole. Will probably lightly grill the sardines to finish them off.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    There are 2 foods that I have never been able to put in my mouth. One is pig's feet (a southern delicacy?). The other is sardines. I have tried. I put the little fish on a cracker or toast; I get it about 3 inches from my mouth; and I just can't do it.

I'll try kippers. Maybe if they don't look so oily?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Too many other options for me. I don't even have the desire to try them. More power to y'all! Enjoy! :smile:
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Try smoked oysters, too! Yummm
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Too many other options for me. I don't even have the desire to try them. More power to y'all! Enjoy! :smile:

Too many other options for shelf-stable protein?

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Too many other options for shelf-stable protein?

Shhhhhhh.

When the zombies attack, we'll be ready.