Any other "used to be fit" peeps in the house?

Options

Replies

• tobeylenae
    tobeylenae Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Finally, I have found MY PEOPLE ;) - I worked very hard 8+ years ago to get into shape, and I wasn't sure it was possible. I worked at it and went down from a size 20 to a size 10 (I'm 5'9). I started to teach spin, and I was at the gym six days a week. I loved my body! I didn't however have a happy personal or work life at the time. Went through some stuff and now here I am again. It took me a while - I didn't gain all this weight overnight, so I don't expect it to go away quickly.

I had to recognize WHY I was gaining weight and eating anything to feel better before I tried to tackle my weight again. I'm back now. I know I can do this! I joined the gym and have begun meeting with a personal trainer. This is real - my life is not easy, but it is good and getting better. This year is the big 50 - I know what they say about our bodies and getting older (screw that) I don't want to be the size I was at 21. I want to be healthy and go into the next phase of my life feeling good. I would be happy to share this journey with anyone on this page. Feel free to add me.
  • CoryBIsMe
    CoryBIsMe Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    JBROC5 wrote: »
    I can soooo relate! 4 years ago I was training for a 1/2 marathon. The day We found out I was expecting baby #3, I ran 7.5 miles. Due to some complications, lots of stress, not exercising, and never really understanding the sheer amount of food I was really eating, I found myself over 40 lbs from where I should be. For the last 3 years I made all kinds of excuses for myself such as my thyroid (it has been hypo since my late 20s), or my hormones or surly it has to be something! After rejoining MPF and logging everything, I realized I was really eating way to much. I started to exercise again (stretching is so essential!!) and after 85 days I have gone from 173 to 152. I still have a ways to go, but it i am slowly getting there. We got this ya'll!

This except you've made strides... I need to. :)
  • thegrimmycrew
    thegrimmycrew Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Its too easy to get distracted by the hustle n buscle. Slo
  • devvorian
    devvorian Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yup, I was always of good shape and form until hypothyroidism came into my life....now in my 40's and 30ish pounds overweight I am trying to get back to a healthier, less plump self. Note that I didn't say original weight because after 2 kids and an autoimmune disease that is just not practical thinking ☺
  • Paulie714
    Paulie714 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you can not run anymore try road cycling you will love it.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    add me. I got fat while pregnant with 3rd kid at 31...by the time he was two years old, I was in the best shape of my life [16% body fat] and stayed mostly fit until about 39 hit a mini depression [lost 2 dear friends within a year]... Over the past year I really got out of control...30 lb overweight mark despite consistently working out. I am at 44...finally faced the diet and drinking too much alcohol and started logging on MFP. I now have 10-15 lbs. left to lose....
  • kristinareisinger
    kristinareisinger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @tobeylenae
    What you said about getting fit but still not being happy really resonates with me.
    How many people have told me, "i wish I was as thin as I was when I thought I was fat."?
    I did it to myself too - becoming very thin in my 20s (i exercised every day but only for weight loss, not for health so there was no joy in it) and then didn't understand why I was still MISERABLE. I felt betrayed and hopeless. And immediately gained my weight back, and then some, in spades.
    Today, at 47, I am the fittest I have ever been but not the thinnest. I want MFP to help me be honest and wise about how much and what I eat - if I can lose a layer of pudge, that'd be AWESOME. But I also know I have to be happy with who I am, right here where I am, or the weightloss will be meaningless.
  • tootiehas3
    tootiehas3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Me too! I'll be 48 in July, and at 42 I was still rockin'-despite 3 kids (a set of twins and a daughter at 34). I had always been physically active (walked and strength trained plus core work) and a clean whole foods eater. I never had to even step on a scale or count calories or carbs or measure. I lived by a 90/10 philosophy and it worked. When I DID weigh my myself, I was consistently between 115-120. In the past 6 years I have been through a divorce, a layoff, 3 job changes, 2 moves, and caring for a mentally ill son. Needless to say, I am 15 pounds heavier and in hideous shape. I'm also in perimenopause and am struggling to get back on track. I've been tracking here on MFP and bought a Jawbone activity tracker. I love it because it keeps me conscious of my activity level. As I'm a teacher, I have to make myself get up and move. Almost done with the school year and going to get back on track!

Goals: Get in 8-10K steps/day.
    Strength train 2x/week.
    Core work every day.
    Be diligent with my calorie intake and eating clean.

Ultimate goal: 120 but only if I can maintain without depriving myself (you still need to enjoy life)
    125 at almost 50 BUT FIT, HEALTHY, and having some FUN!

• kristinareisinger
    kristinareisinger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @tootiehas3
    I am a teacher too! I have trouble getting in my steps at work too. My garmin wont count a step if i am holding something (not swinging my arms) and I am always holding something when i teach or i am chained to my desk grading. I am going to have to get a footpod to connect to my watch for the summer.
    It sounds like you have been through a lot in the past few years. honestly, if 15 lbs was the worst that happened, you have a lot to be proud of.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and it took a lot for me to realize it was time for me to put me first. 1 my daughter graduated college and is off to graduate school. 2. my Dr. said the time had to be now. I guess I finally saw the light and it's time to shed the baby weight I should have done a long time ago. So we are going for A max of 50 but starting off with 28 by the new year. Best of luck to everyone!!!
  • MikeDubya74
    MikeDubya74 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like to think I was fit before and that I'll be fit again. Perfect world, I'd be happy dropping 40 pounds. Realistically, given crazy kids schedules, long hours at work/commuting, where's the time to workout and still spend time with kids (outside of their crazy schedules) and loved ones? I view working out as disposable income, it's nice to have, but the first thing to go when you're pressed to prioritize.

Make a step forward every day...that healthy you will be back before you know it!
  • rmitchell239
    rmitchell239 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hello, soon to be 40. Weigh about 25-35 lbs too much. Trying crossfit at the gym and I'm getting killed!! Decided to add some MFP to try to dial back the calories and make me more competitive. Lost 6 lbs first week, 2nd lost 0 with the cheat day I gave myself :/ have to work harder I guess.
  • MarineMomTX
    MarineMomTX Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I was completely fit and very healthy, then divorce happened, weight gain, oldest son went into the Marines, weight gain, youngest son went into the Marines, weight gain, job was downsized, weight gain, moved from Austin, TX to Portland, OR, weight gain. I ended up gaining 60 lbs over 5 years!!! 60 lbs on my 5'1" frame is ridiculous!!! But I have since lost 20 lbs and I am finally starting to feel good about this again.
  • DreamFeatherLC
    DreamFeatherLC Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yup. I was always tiny and flexible and active. Then I became hypothyroid after my 2nd child was born when I was 30. I lost energy and put on about 10 extra lbs.
    With the right meds I was doing ok when I had my 3rd and final child at 35. Was still about 5 to 7lbs up but that wasn't a big issue. Then 40 hit along with 2 cross country moves and suddenly at 44 I'm up 30 lbs. Most of which I gained in the last 2 years.
    Starting 21 Day Fix on Monday. Because I need to be able to play Frisbee again without being wiped out the next day.
    Laura
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I used to be fit too! I took ballet classes twice a week, went to the gym and ate really well. And I loved it. I really enjoy being active and healthy but after my second son was born I didn't have time (or didn't make time) and started sliding. So I'm determined to get back to where I was. I got into the habit of waking up early to exercise. It's tough since I'm not a morning person but the only way since there are too many activities and distractions going on after work and school. 10- 15 pounds left to go. It's encouraging reading everyone's posts. I see that it can be done even if it takes a little longer in the 40's
  • pez9375
    pez9375 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Can definitely relate. Was an athlete in my 20s. Got married, stressful job, had kids and here I am. 40 lbs overweight and will be 40 years old this year. I am having the hardest time getting the weight off. The weight just won't come off no matter how hard I work. So Frustrated!!!
  • JAJinAK
    JAJinAK Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am in the club as well. Have been very athletic my whole life, very muscular and never any aches, pains or injuries. I am 5' 11" and now weigh 198lbs. This is more than I weighed with both my pregnancies. For me it is the knowing that I am not near as active as I should be but being so tired at the end of my day. My eating choices are usually good at work but I binge eat at home. I just have to reign myself in and start making those changes now. At 46 years old, 50 is not that far away. I want to get stronger again so that I can avoid injuries and still be active.
    Jules
  • GibsonSG_67
    GibsonSG_67 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    48 here. For me, my early to mid thirties were my most out of shape. Kids and work and what not kept me from not eating right and skipping cardio. I'd still lift but it was hard to to tell under the lbs of fat! But I'd say after 40 I started eating a little better and excersising more. We have an excellent gym where I work so that helps a lot. Still have my ups and downs with weight, but overall feel pretty good. I use MFP to track stuff, but I'm not religious about it.
    Find the time for yourself to affect the change you want. Plenty of things for our older bodies to do to stay in shape. Lots of help on here. Good luck to you! :)
  • gijuly2006
    gijuly2006 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just turned 40 this past June. Currently active military and prior to having my daughter I was a a PT stud. I am 5'0 and a very lean & cut 115 lbs. Nearly 8 yrs later I am over 30 lbs heavier and trying to recapture the euphoria for working out that I used to have. I need to set a good example of a healthy and happy lifestyle for my daughter. This is my first step in my journey. Wish me luck!!
  • wannabthin1831
    wannabthin1831 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm 44 and used 2 b 6 pack b4 kids! Single parenting didn't help. Determined to get me back . Strong is sexy.