Just got my fitbit zip. Question on activity levels?

Options
AsellusReborn
AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
So obviously sedentary is well...sedentary. But how many steps a day would be lightly active? Moderately active? Just a rough guideline so I can understand what my step count means. Thanks!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, choosing an activity level is a matter of personal preference. It'll take trial & error to find which you prefer.

Start with lightly active, then adjust up or down until you like the size of your adjustments.
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    Oh I know it doesn't end up mattering, I am curious what they correspond to though :) That's all I mean.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    That varies from person to person. Hence the trial & error.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Approximate Lifestyle Equivalents

Lifestyle Miles Walked Pedometer Steps

sedentary 0 -

somewhat active up to 4 up to 9,400

active 4 to 10 9,400 to 23,500

very active more than 10 more than 23,500
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    That varies from person to person. Hence the trial & error.

I don't think I am explaining my question right, I am asking what mfp considers lightly active, moderately active, etc. It is a generic question with no relation to my actual weight loss goals.

Thanks for the link, that helps!

Walking and Activity Levels
    Researchers at Arizona State University have established baseline activity levels based on the number of steps taken each day. People who take fewer than 5,000 steps are considered to be sedentary or inactive. Those who take 5,000 to 7,499 steps daily have a low active lifestyle. Somewhat active people usually take 7,500 to 9,999 steps per day. People considered to be active take 10,000 or more steps per day.

• editorgrrl
    Options
    hbarnstein wrote: »
    I am asking what mfp considers lightly active, moderately active, etc. It is a generic question with no relation to my actual weight loss goals.

Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)

Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)

Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)

Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    No worries :)
  • AsellusReborn
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    hbarnstein wrote: »
    I am asking what mfp considers lightly active, moderately active, etc. It is a generic question with no relation to my actual weight loss goals.

Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)

Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)

Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)

Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

Yes, I was curious how those correlate to step counts. IE if I I thought I was lightly active what step count should I expect to see? Christinev297 linked an article that had the answer :) Thanks for your help though!