What was your struggle today?

Options
Can be about anything. Food, work, family, etc...

Today was the first day since starting my diet a week ago that I craved bad foods. I was in a new environment, and both emotionally and physically exhausted. It took everything in me not to cave and buy a coke and cookie. I think I just wanted something to make me feel better.

Replies

• Ginalessfluff
    Ginalessfluff Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain. I'm an emotional eater myself. It's tough. I've hit a lot of rough patches but I make sure to shake it off and learn from it. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • schneizilla
    schneizilla Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Well...my struggle today was this delicious homemade apfelstrudel with vanilla sauce...I lost ;-) but instead of eating a whole portion, I shared one...so I ended up eating maybe 40% and my partner 60%.

That's a thing I learned within my last 3 month: don't fight it, try to work around it. You're craving some sweets? Maybe get not a regular package of cookies, get a snack pack with 3 pieces. Don't buy a 100gr chocolate bar, get a little candybar. At least it is working for me...oh and Coke Zero...I know it is unhealthy, but from time to time I really need a glas of ice cold coke. It's kinda fighting my sweet tooth.

• gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am with you on the Coke Zero. I could give it up if I was forced but it's pretty much a daily habit for me. My struggle for today was realizing that I still have a long way to go. I'm on day 13. I've lost 7lbs so far and I have 65 more to go. But truly it's day 13 of the rest of my life. For a moment it seemed mountainous.
  • zeroh13
    zeroh13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My soda of choice is Pespi Max, so much better than regular Pepsi, though I try to only drink a few during the week.

Today's struggle (and yesterday's) is getting back into exercising and not focusing on the weight I gained on my last weigh in.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Today is the first day I recorded in about 4 months after a long streak. And once again, I am battling ranch lol. I need to keep that stuff out of the house I swear.
  • thewritingviolinst1
    thewritingviolinst1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I ate one of my biggest fear foods today, for the first time in probably seven years. (Eating disorder.)
  • wikkidwanda
    wikkidwanda Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with boredom. When I'm bored, I eat. I have tried hard to only eat healthy foods at that time, and I have discovered a real dislike for celery...

re: coke zero - I was all about the diet soda, preferably dr. pepper or coke zero... in 2015 I decided to give up two unhealthy things, diet soda and facebook. I'm doing better with the soda as my kid is MIA and Facebook is the only way I have to get ahold of him...

It took me 3 months, but I don't even like the taste of diet soda anymore AND I have discovered that the biggest reason I drank diet soda rather than regular is because i ALSO don't like regular soda... I'm not a huge fan of water either, so drinking only that and one coffee a day has been VERY much a learning process. :)

but... I got this.
  • shiftynj
    shiftynj Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Here is one thing I discovered (and I saw a post on the check in thread where I need to put this too). If you want to have a treat, decide up front how much you are going to have, put it in a small dish, put the container away, and take the dish in another room before you put any in your mouth. Then eat the treat very slowly and deliberately (not while multitasking) and think about the way it tastes and feels, in other words REALLY ENJOY IT.

I have an issue with things like nuts and pita chips where if I start eating out of the container, I could easily eat it ALL (which of course then when you log it, it's like you ate a Winnebago full.

But my struggle is about being on the phone/computer for five straight hours, not having time to even go outside for a minute at what is supposed to be lunch time, and it's supposed to rain again tonight, so when will I escape?
  • schneizilla
    Options
    Today is the first day I recorded in about 4 months after a long streak. And once again, I am battling ranch lol. I need to keep that stuff out of the house I swear.

Well, welcome back on board :smile:
    I have discovered a real dislike for celery...

pass them right on to me, I'll gladly eat them. Or throw them in a blender with some fruits for a smoothie!

My struggle today is: I'm sick again...my throat is super sore and it feels like I'm getting a cold again. That's probably my 5th already this year...and always with a heavy sore throat. And the upcoming weekend will be exhausting as hell...
  • Chelsea_O
    Chelsea_O Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My struggle today was forcing myself to walk around the park circle one last time before walking home, but I did it and for the first time in over a week I completed my day under my calorie goal.
  • sugaandgrits
    sugaandgrits Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    lack of sleep led to a carb binge.
  • mudtea
    mudtea Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    lack of sleep led to a carb binge.

This is a good reminder for all of us, 'specially me. Inadequate sleep has some really bad health effects, possibly even relating to dementia later on in life by not clearing the amyloids from your brain each night.

I know that when I don't sleep well I get extra hungry, too lethargic to exercise, need more coffee just to function, get pimples, dark rings under my eyes, and on and on.

My summer solstice resolution
  • mudtea
    mudtea Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I guess I was rambling too long and MFP cut me off.

Just gonna say, I need to mind my sleep better.
  • wikkidwanda
    Options
    In the fairly recent past, I have struggled when spending time with my significant other. We live 2 hours apart and so on weekends when we are together, it is a little bit harder for me to get my exercise in because we want to spend our time together, but she isn't really fond of exercising. Whereas she encourages me to do so, it is definitely more than she wants to be doing on any given day. Last night though, we found an exercise that she enjoys and have agreed to do so at least once per weekend. SWIMMING! I'm not a great swimmer, but the doggy paddle takes A LOT of work to keep going... 40 minutes of swimming back and forth and even having a little happy competition makes it awesome!
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I had to talk myself into go to the pool. I was sore from working out yesterday but I decided I would be happy if I just moved for an hour but every time I went to get ready something would happen and I would get so physically exhausted from dealing with it that I had to rest. Finally I decided it just wasn't going to happen today. So tomorrow after breakfast I'm going. Nothing else will get a higher priority.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I didn't struggle so much today as I was simply fully present with multiple emotions...grief over a dying friend, anticipation of the SCOTUS decision, pride over my godson coming out as trans, frustration over trying to pay the bills, love for my partner, concern for one of my dogs with a torn acl...but recognizing and being present with all of that actually made me feel more alive, where sometimes I rry to ignore those feelings and end up full of anxiety. Today was a good day. (My today, likely your yesterday unless you also work midnights)
  • schneizilla
    edited June 2015
    Options
    peacehawk wrote: »
    grief over a dying friend

Oh no :( I'm sorry for your loss! Feel hugged from an internet stranger from over the big pond <3

• peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Today's struggle is trying to give away or dispose of the last of the 3 wedding cakes people brought to my impromptu wedding yesterday! There are definitely worse struggles to have :-)
  • sugaandgrits
    sugaandgrits Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    to stop being lazy and exercise today lol
  • wikkidwanda
    Options
    I'm really struggling with keeping my sugar and carbs in check. I am almost never over my calories, but I am almost ALWAYS over on carbs and sugar.... and it's not even from junk, i LOVE fruit... and that kills me. Any suggestions? I can't just eat vegetables... but the goal is killing me and discouraging me.