How did you make Meal Replacement Drinks bearable?

Options
2»

Replies

• rnin02
    rnin02 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    rnin02 wrote: »
    I like the bariatric advantage flavors if I blend them with ice. I can tolerate them without the ice but with the ice it's almost a milkshake consistency.

That's a really good idea! I will try some of my samples with ice.

Also my preop diet wanted us to eat a small banana once a day for potassium... I would freeze the banana and blend the frozen banana with the powder and water. So good! I will miss that on the post op clear liquids.

• sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I used Unjury for my preop. I could handle the chocolate supreme, but that was the only one. I mixed mine with Lucerne (Safeway) Plus Protein fat free milk, which was ok'd by my doctor. The milk plus a bit of ice made it do-able, but the day I was allowed to do pureed foods and start working the protein shakes out of my life was a very happy day indeed.

I haven't tried it, but Musclegen is supposedly tasteless and non thickening. You may want to ask your doc about it. Ladies on another board swear by it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K6OSDYA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AIEUZANEXEI7Q
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Freeze them! I put mine in the freezer for about 30-45 minutes and it makes it milkshake consistency. It was much easier to drink a chocolate "milkshake" than it was to just drink chocolate milk. I always use skim milk instead of water in the shakes.
  • SassyAshleigh
    SassyAshleigh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! I will start trying the suggestions and go from there. I really really appreciate you all!
  • dzoerner
    dzoerner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I also used McCormick liquid flavorings and got very creative. I use skim milk. Think banana, pineapple, coconut and rum flavorings (just a small splash when using this many). I loved my Proteincolada. Another I liked was skim milk, Vanilla Unjury, and a teaspoon of Zatarain's Root Beer Extract with a few ice cubes...not a root beer float, but I thought it was yummy. 1/2 - 1 frozen banana, skim milk, Chocolate Classic Unjury is good when you can progress to including fruits.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I forced those dumb bariatric advantage shakes down for two weeks pre-surgery, too. I couldn't eat the soup they sold me, so I used Unjury chicken broth. After surgery, I switched to Unjury for all my powdered shakes. I still don't like them as shakes, but it goes down fine in coffee (chocolate or vanilla) or lemonade (strawberry). When I want to get really fancy, I'll mix it with pb2 and some fruit and milk, but I rarely want to waste the calories.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I never had any of the bariactric shakes. I used a plant based protein shake mix called RAW. It comes in many flavors but I used vanilla, chocolate and chai. With the vanilla I liked to mix some orange, strawberry or lime extract. The chocolate was awesome with the pb2 powder, caramel extract or a little instant coffee. With that said.... I hate shakes and only drink them if I need to get more protein in. Lol
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Syntrax Nectar brand for flavor. But I since GNC is closer than my doctor's office and has more convenient hours, I deceided to try their brand in the Lean Burn and regular meal replacement. I got the cookies and cream in the lean burn and hated the flavor! But I bought a huge jar so decided I would have to live with it because it's too expensive to give or throw away. I love coffee so added a little instant to the mix and now I really like it. The other flavor is chocolate and it's fine. I see my surgeon for my 4 year check up next month and will stock up on the Syntrax from their store! Excited to do that.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    I prefer the Syntrax Nectar brand for flavor. But I since GNC is closer than my doctor's office and has more convenient hours, I deceided to try their brand in the Lean Burn and regular meal replacement. I got the cookies and cream in the lean burn and hated the flavor! But I bought a huge jar so decided I would have to live with it because it's too expensive to give or throw away. I love coffee so added a little instant to the mix and now I really like it. The other flavor is chocolate and it's fine. I see my surgeon for my 4 year check up next month and will stock up on the Syntrax from their store! Excited to do that.

I order my Syntrax Nectar from Amazon - shows right up on my doorstep. I like the chocolate truffle the best. You can get either the individual packets or the big tub. I've also bought it from BJ's Bariatric Pantry to be able to get the sampler pack with different flavors. I like the Caribbean Cooler, Crystal Sky and Twisted Cherry along with the chocolate and strawberry.

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    hockey7fan wrote: »
    I order my Syntrax Nectar from Amazon - shows right up on my doorstep. I like the chocolate truffle the best. You can get either the individual packets or the big tub. I've also bought it from BJ's Bariatric Pantry to be able to get the sampler pack with different flavors. I like the Caribbean Cooler, Crystal Sky and Twisted Cherry along with the chocolate and strawberry.

I've looked at Amazon but never ordered the Syntrax from them. I should really try that sometime. Thanks!

• CityGirlInBurbs
    CityGirlInBurbs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm on Bariatric Advantage and I mix water/ice/instant coffee powder/vanilla/and 1/2 teaspoon of stevia with the chocolate. I actually like it!! Now to figure out what to put in the orange/vanilla to make it better.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Today I mixed a scoop of chocolate protein shake into a cup of chobani plain Greek yogurt. Added an extra 13g of protein to the yogurt and treated like chocolate cheesecake... Fantastic