Keto & ALT Test & Liver Disease

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
I wanted to break this out from my recent blood work posted here.

The reason is because I didn't have time to look up this test. I just looked it up. Here is the description of the test:
Alanine transaminase (ALT) is an enzyme found in the highest
amounts in the liver. Injury to the liver results in release of the
substance into the blood.

Why the Test is Performed
This test is used to determine if a patient has liver damage.

The normal range is 10 to 40 international units per liter (IU/L).
[source: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003473.htm]

Here are my latest test results:

ebb7osqwskd9.png

From out-of-range 43 (when I was 323 lbs, pre-Keto) to 14! That's almost as low as you can go...

Fat forms on and in your liver when you don't control your carbs/weight. I say carbs/weight, because, at the time I had the bad ALT, I was on insulin, glipizide, statins, high blood pressure meds, etc... The pills didn't cure me. Keto and fasting did (and I thank God for helping me find this WOE). I want to give hope to morbidly obese, diabetic, people that Keto/fasting can help you too.

(stepping down from podium)

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto
ALT.png 23.6K

Replies

• yeswehave8
    yeswehave8 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That is a beautiful improvement!

People do not realize how much carbohydrates affect the fatty acids our bodies produce. You can have a thin person who has a high carb diet and a fatty liver, and not even know it. I have a friend who is very fit and active (she's a runner) who had triglycerides (among others) that were sky high on recent bloodwork. The doctor allowed her 3 months to try to get them down with diet before attempting medications. She lowered her carb intake and voila, they came down. I absolutely believe we (general SAD) consume WAY more carbs than our bodies were ever meant to handle and it is a key to our physical destruction. /soapbox

• JustMe2C
    JustMe2C Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It does help, Dan...A LOT. Thank you!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Well done Dan! Awesome results.

My ALT was 311 in August 2013 :-0

DSC_0229-1-1.jpg

I uad galldtones for 8 years though.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    OM Gosh Minties! WAY TO GO! You are doing so good! I hope it comes down further..... Are you doing Keto or Low carb?

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if it has gone down, those are both old results :-). I do keto. I should get to the GP for some tests.
  • 35in90
    35in90 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    So encouraging to see these positive effects! Thanks for posting, both of you.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Super results
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    This really gives me hope. Thanks so much for sharing this info. I saw your other post but didn't know about the part that related to the liver.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I had some bloodwork done back when I had that stomach bug (early June), and was bummed that they didn't even do a lipid panel, so didn't pay much attention to the results. I know I have some earlier bloodwork results saved somewhere, so I'll compare the two when I get a chance.

Today I stumbled on the most recent results and found my ALT/AST:
    SGOT (AST):17 U/L
    SGOT (ALT):12 U/L

These seem like reassuring results, assume the unit of measure is the same as yours, @DittoDan.

Blood glucose was 82 mg/dL