Review: KEY TO OBESITY seminar by D. J. Fung

Options
KETOGENICGURL
KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
I'm watching Dr. Jason Fung, Canadian Nephrologist who is helping diabetics reduce weight, and get off meds (T2, not T1)

REVIEW of talk: KEY TO OBESITY Seminar

(members of Dietdoctor.com can see the whole thing 45 min, DD site offers 30 days fee to view anything too before joining a paid membership)

In his latest seminar on dietdoctor he really makes it clear the reason we have obesity is the change from the 1970's 3 meals, no snacks, to being told NOW to eat 6 times a day and snacks in between.(his young son is an example, he describes in another video how many times a day the child is offered snacks both in school, and doing sports activity..it is constant.)

He shows how kids are being "marinated" in calories and sugars so the body never has a natural break to stop insulin being produced..bathing the organs constantly, and causing insulin 'resistance'.

He compares drugs and "drug tolerance" as the same as constant insulin causing 'insulin resistance'…so it's like continual drug use causing "drug resistance'.

Studies on fructose show how it causes insulin resistance....it is a fattening carbohydrate, and it is driving insulin resistance.

Sugar is "obesogenic"… he points to islanders eating starchy tubers at 70% cargo diet..and no fat people..and Asians eating a ton of rice, also no sugar sweets, and no insulin resistance or obesity.

Now China is actually eating more sugar & fructose, so their diabetes is rising above the USA.

Dr. Lustig (book: Fat Chance) promotes fruit with fiber, which lowers insulin reaction, and is protective. Dr. Fung refers to Mother Nature packaging carbs with fiber, as protective. So eating more processed foods, stripped of fiber, increases diabetes by 75%.

FIBER: Paleo diets have 100% fiber needed, USDA recommended is only 25% and SAD has just 15%…he refers to dietdoctor's chart "what does 30 gr carbs look like" it shows a huge plate of veggies..you can eat LOTS of each of them to get to 30 carbs…vs 1 hamburger bun… with no fiber (and sugar added for keeping "softness & freshness")

He points to other experts promoting WHOLE, REAL FOODS, and removing sugar, lowering carbs.

At the end he promotes lowering insulin by timing meals.. not talking about WHAT to eat, but WHEN, as in FASTING, and how to stick to it, reducing from 3 to 2 meals or just 1 meal a day; referring to several religions and how each fasts weekly…giving examples of long term cultural use of fasting and the benefits it gives.

Replies

• 35in90
    35in90 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the review! I've been considering joining that site. Is the member content worth it?
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Dunno about that site, but Dr. Fung posts regularly on his own blog and you can subscribe for free to your inbox. Here is what came today: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/nutritionisms-great-blunder/. He also has some 8-10 videos up on youtube of lectures on diabetes and low carb. He is good at explaining the science in clear terms.
  • 35in90
    35in90 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    Dunno about that site, but Dr. Fung posts regularly on his own blog and you can subscribe for free to your inbox. Here is what came today: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/nutritionisms-great-blunder/. He also has some 8-10 videos up on youtube of lectures on diabetes and low carb. He is good at explaining the science in clear terms.

thanks so much for the info!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Good info, I think I will subscribe to the free stuff.

I think there is more to obesity than the science, though. Add in emotional attachments to food, whether positive or negative, the rising cost of good healthy food, the size of one's family, and the amount of contradictory information flooding everyone's brain on a weekly basis and I think you have a bigger reason for the obesity epidemic. I live in WV, for those who don't know this is usually on the lists of the unhealthiest states in the US. Usually Mississippi beats us, but not by much. WV is a state steeped in traditional carb-y foods (which is also usually comfort food), owing much to the nature of employment + impoverished immigrants that have come and gone here. Coal miners and railroad workers get a lot more out of biscuits and sausage gravy or a pepperoni roll, plus its cheap enough to feed a family. Today the mines are closing down so the state is riddled with unemployment and many of the young and healthy are moving to find work. I think people want to be healthy and I think they try. I think they also want to feed their families on a low income and many don't know how to do that and still follow all the healthy "rules." I've been to diabetes education classes and a support group, as well as a RD. They tell you WHAT to do, but not HOW, and then you find out what they told you might be wrong anyway. When you ask, they smile slightly and change the subject. LCHF may be healthy, but it can also get expensive and if you're unemployed or on a fixed income you tend to fall back on what you know how to do. Sorry to go off on a tangent, that seems to be a theme with me today, lol.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    He has great youtube videos. Thanks
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've been reading & watching Dr. Fung for about a month. His message rings true & clear to me, and I just tried a "semi-fast" to see how it feels. Right now, I've had ~300 calories (some BPC & broth) in the last 38 hours and its much easier than I was expecting. I plan on joining our own DittoDan and try doing this on a regular basis, both for weight loss and reversal of insulin resistance. Perhaps it will help jump start this plateau that I'm on now.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Ginormous thread of people following Dr. Fung's style: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=461563