Options
124»

Replies

• luvs_choc8
    luvs_choc8 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Friday June 12
    Ahanksa Wrote:
    FOOD: Many people use artificial sweeteners and have turned away from using sugar in order to reduce calories or because of diseases such as diabetes. Studies now show that intake of artificial sweeteners is also associated with increase risk of diabetes and other cardiovascular illnesses. This is because the artificial sweeteners do not satisfy the brain receptors which sense sugar in the blood therefore the brain keeps signaling for more sugar which can come in the form of carbohydrates. As with all things in life moderation is the rule...one splenda or equal or diet soda a day is not going to lead to any problems...but 3, 4, or 5 servings of an artificial sweetener is going to lead to problems in the long run. A little sugar or honey in your tea or coffee is not going to lead you to any problems as long as you are active and limit your general carb intake to a reasonable level. EXERCISE: Some of you may have heard of Metabolic Conditioning...if you have ever tried P90X, CrossFit, Insanity or high intensity circuit training, then you know what I'm talking about. Many people think that it is the most time-efficient way to burn fat and build endurance. Well they may have a point! I will get into this topic more next week but wanted to introduce it today...so, dust off those workout DVDs and get ready for a week of MetCon next week. The final day of burpees!!! INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE: Life is a grindstone. Whether it grinds you down or polishes you up depends on you. - Jacob M. Braude **Hope you have a great Friday and a fantastic weekend!!!** NOTE: If anyone is going to be fasting starting next week for the month of Ramadan please send me a private email. Thank you!
  • kxforg
    kxforg Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Started today with JM Shred L1D1. This is my second round so I added heavier weights and I'm working at a higher intensity. Tomorrow may be interesting...also finished with 90 additional crunches....keeping the crunch challenge going.
  • sugarcoated2015
    sugarcoated2015 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    50 crunches today
  • teresa_garcia29
    teresa_garcia29 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    70 crunches
  • sugarcoated2015
    Options
    65 crunches today
  • ahanksa
    ahanksa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ladies you are an inspiration!! Keep those crunches coming!!
  • teresa_garcia29
    Options
    75 crunches yesterday..
  • luvs_choc8
    Options
    Monday June 15
    Ahanksa Wrote:
    FOOD: The snacking industry is a $374 billion dollar a year machine! When consumers are asked what they want for a snack the vast majority say fruits but chocolate comes in a very close second. Despite what consumers say, people still vote with their money and the majority globally are buying processed foods for snacks. What are some healthy snacks? This week instead of a workout challenge I invite everyone to share a healthy homemade snack on this forum. I am always looking for something new and fresh to try out with my family! EXERCISE: Ok, so last week I introduced everyone to metabolic conditioning which doesn't really describe a specific workout, but more a type of workout designed to challenge the two major energy systems that contribute to exercise. The first type of energy system used in metabolic conditioning is the ATP (adenosine triphosphate) system which fulfills our immediate need for fuel. The second is the one where when you do moderate cardio uses glycolysis (break down of glycogen to glucose) to fuel our bodies over longer, slower exercise sessions. Metabolic conditioning is able to target both of these energy systems in the same workout by using high intensity whole body movements along with a very short work-to-rest ratio. That means you go from one exercise to the other with little or no rest in between for certain intervals to tax your body, your mind and your energy systems. You can use this concept in all your workouts by creating short high intensity bursts followed by a brief rest then repeat with a different exercise. A quick circuit to try in the gym or at home is a combo of these three exercises. Start by warming up for 3-5 minutes then 1 min Jump rope, 30 sec rest, then 1 min burpees, then 30 sec rest, then 1 min running in place...repeat! This is essentially a mini cardio circuit. INSPIRATIONAL QUOTES: And what is so rare as a day in June? Then, if ever, come perfect days. -James Russell Lowell **I hope you are having a great June Monday!!**
  • jenniferbertram7165
    jenniferbertram7165 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Dip 4 or 5 (depending on their size) strawberries into 2 squares of melted dark chocolate
  • sugarcoated2015
    Options
    For snacks I don't really get them daily unless I have eaten too few calories, but I like apples.

80 crunches today, gonna try that mini circuit tomorrow.
  • luvs_choc8
    Options
    Tuesday June 16
    Ahanksa Wrote:
    FOOD: I was looking into whether snacking is good for you and found out that there is evidence that eating three meals and two or three snacks per day(snacking) might be better for you than eating fewer, larger meals (gorging) as long as the total caloric intake remains the same. Snacking has been shown to produce a lower level of blood cholesterol, better absorption of nutrients more evenly throughout the day, a smoother insulin response which is beneficial for blood glucose control, will not lead to weight gain if calorie intake remains stable, may help people control their calorie intake more effectively, and finally helps active people and those with high energy requirements meet their calorie needs. EXERCISE: Yesterday I gave you a quick metabolic conditioning cardio workout. Today you can try this strength training metabolic conditioning exercises: Start with a good warm up then do deadlift x 10 (use a weight that you can comfortably use for the next exercise; bent over rows); followed by Bent Over Rows x 10; then Burpees x 10; then close out with Push Ups x 10 (feel free to do these from your knees if you don’t have the upper body strength yet). If you want abdominal work then add a set of crunches. Your goal is to complete as many circuits as you can in 30 minutes. Rest only when necessary, but long-term goal should be no rest breaks during the entire workout. Good Luck!! INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE: Instructions for living a life. Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.― Mary Oliver **Have a wonderful Tuesday!!**
  • teresa_garcia29
    Options
    80 crunches and ab workout during body combat !!!! Who let the dogs out....!!!
  • luvs_choc8
    Options
    Wednesday June 17
    Ahanksa Wrote:
    FOOD: HOOORAY!!! This is for all chocolate lovers....a study of 21,000 people in Norfolk, England, showed that those who ate 100g of chocolate (higher percent cocoa was best) a day had a lower rate of cardiovascular disease (heart attacks and strokes). The reason is the flavonols in chocolate are healthy. In this study even milk chocolate was good for you....I for one am very very happy to continue my chocolate habit!! Remember all good things in moderation is a great rule to live by!! A cup of chocolate milk after a workout is one of my favorite snacks! EXERCISE: So while some metabolic conditioning is good for you, too much can definitely be bad for you. Going all-out during a workout can be advantageous but doing it every day can actually be detrimental to your success. Whether you’re getting started with a new workout routine or adding metabolic conditioning to your regular training program, initially do it for no more than two 10- to 30-minute sessions a week. Also, be wary of tacking them onto other workouts since when you are exhausted from one workout such as a strength training/lifting session you are more likely to get injured due to fatigue. An example would be doing P90X or Insanity after you did a full workout already. Moderation in workout is important too! INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE: When I dare to be powerful – to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid. - Audre Lorde **Have a wonderful Wednesday
  • luvs_choc8
    Options
    Friday June 19
    Ahanksa Wrote:
    FOOD: The American Food and Drug Administration, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), and Health Canada all agree on one thing. Caffeine in moderations is good. What is moderate caffeine consumption? Well they all agree for a healthy adult (not pregnant) 400mg of caffeine is okay! That is 4 cups of 8 oz of coffee, 12 cups of 8 oz of tea, 8 bottles of 12 oz of diet soda. That is a lot!!! if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, half this consumption is okay! EXERCISE: Ever looked in the mirror and thought...how do i get rid of those saddlebags!!! Saddlebags is a term used to describe fat stored around the hips, thighs and butt. This is an area where we tend to store excess fat, especially women. the key to getting rid of them is the same as toning those abs...have a sensible diet, do tons of cardio, and do strength training with a focus on lower body and butt on some days. Those squats are your new best friend!! INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE: The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.~Maureen Dowd **Have a great Friday and Fantastic Weekend!!**
  • luvs_choc8
    Options
    Monday June 22
    Ahanksa Wrote:
    FOOD: Now and then we all fall of the wagon and "pig out" on a meal, day, or even two or three days. If you do then the important thing is to not get stuck in an "all or nothing" attitude and view a single "bad" eating situation as verification that you just can't lose weight or control your eating. The best way to get back on track is to think in advance about situations and obstacles that might cause brief breakdowns, such as eating a bag of potato chips or a box of cookies, and have a plan. For instance, if you normally have difficulty staying on your diet when you go out to dinner or when you're visiting relatives, come up with strategies to avoid the slip-up, as well as a plan of action to follow if you actually do slip up. It is all about planning and forgiving yourself. EXERCISE: Cardio and strength training are two important parts of a workout but stretching is an important part of any workout routine too. Many of us skip stretching on a regular basis because you may think it doesn't do much for you and feel like you're wasting precious time you could be spending on the real workout or in the shower and out the door. After a great lower body workout, try this hip stretch: Lying on the floor, cross left foot over right knee. Clasp hands behind right thigh and gently pull the leg in towards you, keeping upper body relaxed. Hold for 15-30 seconds and repeat on the other side.If your hips are tight, you might feel enough of a stretch without even lifting the leg off the floor. INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE: Patience is not simply the ability to wait - it's how we behave while we're waiting. - Joyce Meyer
  • luvs_choc8
    Options
    Tuesday June 23
    Ahanksa Wrote:
    FOOD: While I do not drink alcoholic beverages, I know plenty of people who do. Having a glass of red wine a day is known to be good for you and in general some alcohol can be beneficial to health. However, alcoholic drinks are heavy on calories and so can ruin a good diet or lifestyle change plan. so, for all those who do enjoy an "adult beverage" every once in a while, remember that moderation is the key and it is defined as one drink a day on average per women and two drinks per day for men. When having drinks make sure you are not using the alcohol to substitute for water when you are thirsty. Wine, beer or hard liquor do NOT quench our thirst. Drink a full glass of water before you start on anything alcoholic. Finally, try to always alternate one non-alcoholic drink (sipped slowly) with each alcoholic beverage. If you are watching calories, a sparkling water with lime is a good "in-between" drink. Cheers!! EXERCISE: To continue the theme of stretches, many of us do the standing quad stretch...trying to balance ourselves or holding on to a wall or chair. I recently came across a lying down quad stretch. Start by lying down on your side using elbow for balance. Using other arm, slowly pull your foot towards your glutes, keeping both knees together and bent knee pointing down. Squeeze the glutes to get a deeper stretch in the quads. Hold for 15-30 seconds and switch sides. I found that I was able to concentrate more on the stretch and less on my lace of balance! INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE: Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone. --Pablo Picasso **Wishing you all a wonderful Tuesday!**
  • luvs_choc8
    Options
    Wednesday June 24
    Ahanksa Wrote:
    FOOD: Food cravings are part of life for many. There is no single explanation for food cravings, and explanations range from low serotonin levels affecting the brain centers for appetite to production of endorphins as a result of consuming fats and carbohydrates. In general people tend to crave foods with high levels of sugar glucose, such as chocolate than foods with lower sugar glucose, such as broccoli, because when glucose interacts with the opioid system in the brain that is also triggered in addictive behaviors. So, next time you have an intense craving, think about what that food represents and how you could satisfy that craving without binging...perhaps a small piece of the food could satisfy you? EXERCISE: We all get sick every once in a while. So, when should you return to working out after being sick. Remember that there are two types of muscle atrophy occurs when we do not workout for a while. The first is disuse atrophy, in which muscles waste away due to lack of movement and exercise and the second is neurogenic atrophy, in which the muscles waste away due to disease or injury. The first is the more common form and can occur in as little as 72 hours with smaller muscle groups. Large muscles, including leg muscles, take longer. If you are out from exercising for a while, first check with your doctor that you can return to working out. Then take is easy for a few days to see where your new baseline is and then slowly increase your intensity. Easing yourself back to exercising will help you fight injury. INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE: A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realize how blessed you are. — Unknown (Amen!)
  • luvs_choc8
    Options
    Friday June 26
    Ahanksa Wrote:
    FOOD: For those who have gluten sensitivity or allergies or gluten just does not agree with you...here are a few alternatives: Quinoa, Brown Rice, Corn, and Buckwheat, Sorghum (whole grain), Teff, (commonly used in Ethiopia for the bread called Injera Teff leads all the grains in its calcium content, with a cup of cooked teff offering 123 mg), Amaranth, and Montina (Indian Rice Grass). Many of these gluten free alternatives have a lot of fiber, protein, minerals, and vitamins. So, if you come across them in the supermarket...give them a try! EXERCISE: Last mention of core workouts for this week. If you find yourself with a lot of back problems, strengthening your core will definitely help lower the wear and tear on your spinal column. Try this core workout which relieves back pain while strengthening your abdominals. The pelvic tilt is started by lying on the ground with bent knees and feet flat on the ground. Tighten your abdominal muscles to press your lower back flat against the floor. You may feel immediate relief in your lower back. Although it's tempting to hold your breath as you tighten your abs, try to breathe normally. Hold the position for five seconds, and repeat several times INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE: Never forget the three powerful resources you always have available to you: love, prayer, and forgiveness. - H. Jackson Brown, Jr. **Wishing you all a wonderful Friday and weekend!!**
  • MOMfit4life
    MOMfit4life Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    GREAT POSTS! THANKS FOR SHARING! L❤️VE MY CHOCOLATE .).) TGIF