Magnesium Mistake I Made for 8 Months

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
I was reordering some Magnesium Citrate tonight, and I pulled out the bottle and got to looking at the label:

26to8zp9iq6p.png

Notice a "serving size" is 2 tablets. Then it says Magnesium 400 mg. I can't find anywhere on the label that says each individual tablet is 200mg. But that's what I'm thinking they are.

I take 2 tablets @ day. I have been telling everyone on many posts on LCD & Keto that I take 800mg @ day. I was thinking each pill was 400mg...!

Oh well, I would be a bad person to be a pharmacist. Thank God, that if you take too much, you get only get diarrhea. Sorry to all those I told wrong!

Dan the Man from Michigan
Mag.png 471.2K

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Honest mistake. I really need to get some supplements started. Luckily, I haven't felt bad at all so I guess I haven't had too desperate of need for more, but I think I'm pushing my luck.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Lol, I take the same ones, solgar? I started just taking one then noticed the serving size was 2 so I increased it.
  • JustMe2C
    JustMe2C Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Like Sunny, I've not started any supplements (well, other than ones for other medical issues) yet and have felt fairly well thus far. I know magnesium and potassium seem to be the two big ones, but is there certain brands or doses that are better? And any other supplements I might need to look into as well?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    The fish oil folks drive me crazy with what they put on the front of the bottle. In one case one would have had to take like four capsules to hit the number on the front of the bottle.
  • deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    How did you feel taking 400 gm of magnesium citrate? Did you experience any symptoms of Mg deficiency?

Listed here: http://www.ancient-minerals.com/magnesium-deficiency/symptoms-signs/

I take 500 mg of magnesium glycinate. It is supposed to have very good bioavailability with the least side effects. Who knows for sure?
  • deoxy4
    Options
    JustMe2C wrote: »
    Like Sunny, I've not started any supplements (well, other than ones for other medical issues) yet and have felt fairly well thus far. I know magnesium and potassium seem to be the two big ones, but is there certain brands or doses that are better? And any other supplements I might need to look into as well?

There are many forms of magnesium available for supplementation. I spent 3-4 hours researching magnesium supplements. It is very confusing as to which form is most effective. Here is a pretty good post I found which is pretty comprehensive. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the information but it looks like a good place to start your due diligence.

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/2078-bulletproof-magnesium-thread/
  • DittoDan
    edited June 2015
    Options
    deoxy4 wrote: »

There are many forms of magnesium available for supplementation. I spent 3-4 hours researching magnesium supplements. It is very confusing as to which form is most effective. Here is a pretty good post I found which is pretty comprehensive. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the information but it looks like a good place to start your due diligence.

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/2078-bulletproof-magnesium-thread/

WOW! Excellent article. That's a keeper. 400mg of citrate is pretty good for me. No diarrhea and no muscle cramps. But, I think I may switch to one that has the laxative effect. When I water fast or do Keto in general, I constantly suffer from hard/not moving/constipation. Pre-Keto I got constipated maybe once a year, now its all the time. So, I wouldn't want the Mag Glycinate. I also take milk of magnesia when fasting, I think its Mag Oxide. I'd rather have loose, than stuck-dig-it-out constipation. (Too much info! LOL!)

• DittoDan
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Lol, I take the same ones, solgar? I started just taking one then noticed the serving size was 2 so I increased it.

Yes, Solgar. Take enough to eliminate the cramps and not so much as to cause diarrhea.... 2 worked magic for me...

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one who mis-reads labels. I did it the opposite way once and was taking way too much of a supplement. not sure HOW I got that wrong.

I've taken magnesium for EONs at my GI doc's suggestion.

I take magnesium complex (mostly citrate) 500mg in the evening for bowel regularity.
    And I take a Ca/Mag/D (with 250MG of various magnesiums) in the mornings for my calcium and D supplement.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I started taking K-MAG Aspartate by Source Naturals that was mentioned here and it has address the leg cramps well and muscle spasms in general. Three tables equal 225 mg of magnesium aspartate and 297 mg of potassium aspartate so I try to take 4-6 tables daily.

It is really cheap. From iHerb I got 4 120 count bottles for $30 to the door. There may be better options but I needed a starting point and with a few clicks and $30 it was here in a few days. Between it and getting a couple teaspoons of salt a day I am doing much better in this hot weather.

My son hurt his foot bad a couple weeks ago at camp and on Saturday late he was still working on the zero turn mower rebuild the deck spindles with new bearings so I took the 42" walk behind mower and walked it down to church and mowed getting back at dark. I weighed before and after and in the heat I lost 5 pounds in 90 minutes. I was glad I was OK on my salt and magnesium with that rate of water loss.
  • JustMe2C
    JustMe2C Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    deoxy4 wrote: »

Thank you!

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Aghhh! I didn't notice that either. I need to up my dosage. I was going to try one in the am and one before bed, but I read they can make you sleepy. :)
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Magnesium oxide is the most common and hard for many people to absorb. It gave me cramps. I was advised to take magnesium citrate by a naturopathic doctor I was seeing. He had me take it gradually increasing dosages until I got diarrhea and then cut back. I would suggest increasing your citrate dosage while fasting rather than adding magnesium oxide. But whatever works best for you.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking a glass of water with Natural Calm magnesium citrate powder in it, 1/2 tsp once or twice a day, plus getting some magnesium in my multivitamin and taking a potassium supplement for the past few days. No more cramps, thank God, and I realized that a lot of my plantar fasciitis pain was due to the cramping! Double win.

Thank you to this group for clueing me in to the importance of these electrolytes!!!
  • deoxy4
    Options
    Magnesium is underrated as a supplement. If you have the interest and time an interesting podcast.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/the-llvlc-show-episode-602-morley-robbins-says-what-you-dont-know-about-magnesium-might-kill-you/15230
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    LOL Dan thanks for the heads up. Sure enough, my bottle (a different brand than I bought the first time, just based on where I was that day) says a serving size is THREE of these huge suckers. Yikes!
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I take Natural Calm (mag citrate) powder at night. It helps me sleep and I can vary the dose based on my ahem...bathroom habits. I feel like I have more control over my Mag intake versus a straight dose from capsules.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I take Natural Calm (mag citrate) powder at night. It helps me sleep and I can vary the dose based on my ahem...bathroom habits. I feel like I have more control over my Mag intake versus a straight dose from capsules.

Out of curiosity, do you use the unflavored one or one of the flavors?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    This is the weirdest thing. When I got back bloodwork that showed I was maintaining potassium and sodium okay on Keto, but deficient on magnesium, it took me a while to realize that if I added Lite Salt when taking the magnesium, something in that potassium made me dump the magnesium flat out (major cramp and muscle weakness). So I'd end up worse off than before. So, I've found that I can't use the Lite Salt anymore, but I can take the magnesium (which I need). Should be interesting to see bloodwork in 3-6 months...

Anyone else find this to happen to them?