Cooking for family

Options
Hi All,
I'm new to this group and on Day 1 of my pre op liquids. How do you manage to cook for family while doing this part? I'm overwhelmed right now. I think just the fact that I'm finally starting this life changing journey is getting to me. If I had to cook actual food right now, I don't know what I'd do. At this point it's too late to have had meals made and ready for the family. HELP!!

Replies

• sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Deep breath. I also have a family to cook for, and thanks to a huge family emergency the week before my surgery, all of my "will get it done before I go in" stuff flew out the window. We managed pretty well- the crockpot was a huge help for me- throw it in and walk away. I also did lots of "cook once, eat twice" and gave myself permission to make easy dinners. Precooked ham steaks with rice, grilled cheese and soup, breakfast for dinner, spaghetti with frozen meatballs, preseasoned frozen fish packets with quinoa and salad, etc. Pick up a rotisserie chicken, let them eat off it for dinner, then use the leftovers to make chicken alfredo the next night.

For the nights I was in the hospital, DH picked up pizza the first night, and then did a crockpot pot roast the second day which fed them until I got home and was able to load the crockpot by myself.

Lunches were lots of sandwiches, fruit, yogurt, cheese sticks. My kids eat pretty much the same thing for breakfast every day, so that was easy too.
  • rnin02
    rnin02 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was able to resist because I was worried about not losing enough weight before surgery. And I had some weird pride thing going on and was super pumped to do well and not cheat. Now I'm 1 week post-op and getting increasingly irritable over this all liquid thing! I think I have 2 more weeks till my program let's me have anything of real substance and I can't promise my sanity will still be intact.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I am dreading this so bad right now. Liquid only starts Monday. I think a trick would be to plan on drinking a shame while cooking, so that you are not tempted to snack. I could be wrong though.
  • CityGirlInBurbs
    CityGirlInBurbs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I got lucky yesterday. Hubby worked late so he picked up something before he got home, one kid went to dinner and movies with friends and the other was working a double shift. On to Day 2!!
  • gaining_while_losing
    gaining_while_losing Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I wasn't bothered by it. I felt very strongly the need to do well on my pre-op diet - for my overall health and well-being, as well as the shrinking-of-my-liver before surgery. I didn't go off my plan at all. I was on shakes and bars (OptiFast) for 2 weeks and I wasn't bother by it. I knew it was short-term, and that I was doing it for a good cause. I would, however, occupy myself with something else while the family sat down to dinner at night. After all, I don't need to WATCH them eat their yummy goodness! Lol.
  • CityGirlInBurbs
    Options
    I made dinner for the family last night, I just made sure I was full from protein shake before I cooked, so I wasn't so tempted. I did have my daughter plate the food and I left to finish payroll for the hub's business. I do feel the need to do this 100%, but I'm also not trying to sabotage myself by smells! If you've ever seen the original Madagascar movie when the lion looks at all the lemurs and they all look like steaks to him, that's where I am right now!! :)
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I found the smells bothered me way more preop than postop. The first few weeks especially, I really had to force myself to get my meals and protein in because food was so unappealing. As thing started to smell ok again, I was starting to add back in foods so it wasn't as hard. Now I'm 2.5mo out, I make things for dinner most nights that I can also enjoy, which makes cooking easier.
  • CityGirlInBurbs
    Options
    Thanks, I think once I get to surgery I'll be ok. For some reason it seems like everyone is posting their food on my FB page today.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Some seem to hate all of the food commercials and shows after surgery. I have really enjoyed cooking post surgery. I cook for the family most of the time and in generL meals have gotten healthier but also quality has become important over quantity.

There have been a few times where I cook but then make a small portion and leave because it has been good and I would worry that I would not stop (#humblebrag!
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 weeks post op today and start phase 3 tomorrow which is pureed foods. I only had to do a liquid diet for 2 days pre-op. The first day was crazy because we had our daughters HS graduation party that day with 100 guest and tons of food at the house. I just kept super busy and made it through the day. The 2nd day I had to do a cleanse so food was the last thing on my mind.

These past 2 weeks (post -op) with only liquids have been quite a ride. I've prepared a few meals but for the most part my family just needs a little guidance. I point them in the direction of the ground beef - tell them to make burgers for the grill and had a big salad all made in the fridge. I've been grocery shopping a couple of times since surgery and it made me feel like I was on sensory overload.

Keeping the goal in my mind is what helps the most. I know that in 4-6 weeks this will be a distant memory and I'll be on to new challenges. Good luck!