New to Keto

I started keto about 2 weeks ago but keep falling off the wagon. Today I ate carbs last night I ate carbs. For the most part I was doing great until yesterday, I unfortunately don't have much money so I can't always afford the heavy cream or Kerrygold butter (I hope I wrote that right)? Also, is it better to Bulletproof or whatever to lose a lot of weight? If this doesn't work, I am getting Weight loss surgery. This is a last resort. I don't have supportive people. So, need a group like this. Thanks.

Replies

• GalactusEmpire
    GalactusEmpire Posts: 90 Member
    If Keto doesn't fit your lifestyle and if you can't maintain it on a daily basis, then I wouldn't suggest trying it. You don't need to be rich to do Keto. I eat Keto off of a very small food budget of around $150 a month. Everyone will eat differently. By bulletproof I assume you mean the coffee variant? That isn't necessary unless you want to add it to your daily routine. I don't touch heavy cream or bulletproof coffee and I hit my macros fine.

My best advice for you if you want to do Keto. You need to change your habits in all aspects. The biggest change should come from how you shop. If you don't have access to food that's loaded with carbs, then you cant eat it. Starting out, I found it easiest to plan meals ahead of schedule so I knew what I was allowed to eat and what I would be cooking. Try not to give in to temptation.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Do you cook your meals or mostly eat out? I buy chicken legs very cheap $.49 per pound in 10 pound packages and boil that into a broth. I buy chicken skins from a local butcher and render the fat for schmaltz for cooking and chicken cracklings for snacks. You can also buy cheap cuts of other meats such as neck bones. I eat seafood daily which is not high in fat but I cook it in schmaltz or ghee. Hamburger meat is also cheaper in bulk. I only eat meat once per week so one purchase lasts a long time.

Weight loss takes a long time for most people. If you are doing keto for quick weight loss it will work for that but in my experience the weight will come back as soon as you stop. You need to find a way of eating that you can sustain. I chose keto for health reasons. It is not for everyone.

• rachelmichelle79
    rachelmichelle79 Posts: 16 Member
    I mostly cook. I chose keto for health also, just have a lot of stress. I have 2 autistic children (single mom) I have to be around for them. If I eat the way I did I will die. I am not hungry on keto. I believe it will work, I feel great on keto but was having some chest pain but I am anemic so I don't know if my potassium was low? I live with my parents, kids and brother and my dumb brother (love him but) he steals my and my kids' food. That is the problem. Eggs are sky high...and thanks for the info on the chicken thighs. I am just emotionally spent/burn out. My son is severely autistic, nonverbal and this diet/lifestyle helps my depression/anxiety. I don't know why I wanted to cheat? I just was really stressed and my mom keeps telling me that it's unhealthy, etc...plus, still learning as I go. I started out doing Atkins and after much research switched to keto. I can't avoid carbs because other people eat them in my face, I just had a moment of weakness. Hope I don't get keto flu again.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Sending hugs. I strongly second the chicken thighs mentioned above. I roast them (just salt and pepper the skin at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes until the skin is crispy and browned - you can test the temp, too, but if the skin gets super crispy you should be good).

My guy is not keto, nor LCHFMP really, so I just make what I make and he eats it. I tend to batch cook. I made a large batch of meatballs, a good bit of roast, and taco meat to use over the week.

I don't know about the brother, but if he is young, put the responsibility on your parents. If he is not, you need to figure out a way around it. Put the food in unpalatable containers? Bury it in the fridge/freezer under stuff he won't look through? If he's old enough, have a sit down with him and tell him your doctor ordered you to put cod liver oil and salt peter in all yours and your children's food for medical reasons (or something else that would totally turn him off of the idea). Though, I'm wondering, given your parent's restrictions and opinions, is he just taking the food because they won't buy it for him? Maybe designate a shelf that's off limits? Keep any pre-sealed shelf stable food in a locked cabinet in your room? And buy things he won't touch...

I can come up with inexpensive ways to feed you and your crew, but not if the stealing doesn't stop. Nothing else can help there. If you aren't supplementing with sodium, potassium, and magnesium, as well as keeping your water up, you may continue to suffer the flu off and on for several weeks.

As for the carbs, depends on what they were and how much. For whatever you're craving that your parents keep around, find a low-carb alternative.

Good luck!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Wow...that was a heck of a carb day!!! Sending hugs.
  • rachelmichelle79
    Thanks, Knitormiss...He is actually 28 years old. He won't work...oh well he works maybe 12 hours a week at Mcdonald's and blows all his money on payday eating out with the church. He is studying to be a minister...believe it or not...I am trying to save to move out, but I am unable to find childcare for my son so I can get a good job. It is pathetic..and he wonders why he is single...lol..Love my brother..I may buy a mini fridge in the meantime to lock up in my room.
  • RockMe777
    RockMe777 Posts: 24 Member
    Remind that future minister the bible says "Thou shalt not steal" ..lol... My family all eat a lot of carbs, my wife is asian so there is always a lot of rice and bread around. I just made the decision to give all that up. I don't need it and since I've been on Keto I don't crave it.
    I suggest if you want to keep on with Keto you really need to dig in and make the decision that you are going to do this. If you are young and are having health problems due to weight / diet now imagine the problems you will have 10 or 20 years from now.

If you stick with this it WILL tranform you into the healthy person you want to be. Your kids need you to be healthy for them. You can do this but you need to go all in and stick with it, every time you fall off the wagon you lose your momentum and that is no good.

You can do it Rachel, build your support group here and we will help you out whenever you need it!
  • rachelmichelle79
    Thanks, David! I am going to do this. I have my mind made up. Not hungry on this vs. hungry all the time on low fat....easy solution...plus, I had severe depression before eating all the fat...it is gone. I don't have depression or panic attacks....I feel great!! I have no reason to stop. Do you refeed? I am trying to piece it all together as I go. I am doing Intermittent fasting now. I actually really like it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    I don't carb refeed at all, and I've been low carb since January and keto since February. I'm not heavy lifting or anything though. It can work for some people, but also absolutely doesn't work for others. A reddit group called Ketogains has a lot of this type of info for ways to do that, but for the lay person, refeeding isn't required. But YMMV, so you'll have to figure out through trial and error what works for you!
  • deboxley
    deboxley Posts: 8 Member
    Hi, I will throw my experience into the mix here. I work out pretty heavily (weight training 4-5X per week), hill climbing/hiking at least 5 hours a week (normally more). The largest refeed I've had was about 75 gm carbs (maybe twice) in the past several years. Normally stay under 20 gms per day.

I had a very difficult keto adaptation, probably took me 2-3 mos of feeling crappy off and on, and I still struggle with intermittent fasting, so it sounds like you are off to a great start with how well you're doing! You are young and that's in your favor. You probably haven't messed up your metabolism too badly yet. We started with under 100 grams paleo about 6 years ago and have continued to transition downward carbwise over the ensuing years (now 58 yrs old).

Bottom line, I have great energy..just came back from hiking a very steep hill and feel terrific.

Deb
    230ish/152/140 @ 5'/9"
  • rachelmichelle79
    I am 35 and stay well under 20 carbs, just started incorporating bulletproof if this week. Actually yesterday. I think it is going to be better for me. I don't really trust myself to refeed, that's why I wasn't sure if it is required or not? I just need to get this weight off. I hope to try some martial arts when I get closer to goal, I just can't right now. So many things I want to do when I get this weight off. I have been yo-yoing with the same 5 pounds doing Weight Watchers and just calorie counting, but don't really get anywhere with it. I quit smoking a little over a year ago this is so much harder, giving up carbs, sugar..lol...but food/carbs/sugar are everywhere as opposed to cigarettes.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    I've always wondered about a re-feed. I have had a couple of high carb days, only one of those being a binge day, but I'm lifting heavier than I was pre-keto and the baby muscles I had before definitely haven't gotten any smaller....maybe even bigger, so I don't know if we really need a carb refeed unless you are insane in the gym.
  • KnitOrMiss
    I am 35 and stay well under 20 carbs, just started incorporating bulletproof if this week. Actually yesterday. I think it is going to be better for me. I don't really trust myself to refeed, that's why I wasn't sure if it is required or not? I just need to get this weight off. I hope to try some martial arts when I get closer to goal, I just can't right now. So many things I want to do when I get this weight off. I have been yo-yoing with the same 5 pounds doing Weight Watchers and just calorie counting, but don't really get anywhere with it. I quit smoking a little over a year ago this is so much harder, giving up carbs, sugar..lol...but food/carbs/sugar are everywhere as opposed to cigarettes.

You could easily start with Kata of something like Tai Chi now... My fiance is HUGE on this, and he's still significantly overweight but moves like a stealthy panther. And for a fat man (lovingly said between us), he moves scary fast sometimes!!!

I always tell people - don't wait UNTIL something, because you may never get there. Enjoy the things you want to do NOW! They may help you on your journey further than you realize!!!!! Especially something slow and rhythmic will help with stress and the mental aspect.

And good heavens - you're my hero, quitting smoking!! And now carbs on top of it? You are a superhero!!!!
  • RockMe777
    RockMe777 Posts: 24 Member
    I'm sorry to sound ignorant here but what the heck is a "re-feed"?
  • rachelmichelle79
    Thanks, re-feed is where you increase your carbs after 5 days of intermittent fasting (only healthy carbs like sweet potatoes to increase leptin.
  • gonebeast
    gonebeast Posts: 102 Member
    I know what you mean by people eating carbs in your face. My parents eat white rice, beans, bread while I do keto during the week. Its tough. Tomorrow I have to fast and do cardio to burn out my glycogen I built up these past 2 days. Its not gonna be fun.

But you have to do things you wouldn't do before, find strength in you if you want to change. I know you are probably going thru a lot...just keep in mind that your thoughts and mind will dictate how your body looks. I don't say this to scare you but to acknowledge bad thoughts and let them go, with God or whoever you believe.

Fall get back up. Falling again? Balance. Steady and keep going
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Avoiding carbs like pasta, rice, and bread is extremely easy for me once I am adapted. I feel more energetic and less hungry in general, and I associate those things with endless cravings, bloating, and energy crashes. I don't allow a refeed, but I can get as high as 75 without going out of ketosis. Really I eat LCHF rather than keto since I stick to 50g net max. I like to make sure I get my fiber, so doing 20g total a day just wouldn't cut it for me. Not to mention it allows me more flexibility. Wanting those carbs is primarily psychological, once you wean off of them. As you go along, you will find that there are low carb substitutes that will provide you with the flavor or texture that you are craving. Try not to think about what you are denying yourself, but instead about what you are gaining by making the right choices.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that there are some great studies done on the beneficial effects of a ketogenic diet on autism. If your kids benefit maybe grandma will be more supportive. Not everyone sees an improvement however there is nothing to lose trying it.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Keep at it Rachel. The biggest successes are those people who first became very close with failure. You can do this. You want it bad enough and you will. Never doubt yourself and always keep going. It's not easy in the beginning, but the more you do it the easier it becomes. There are some really great and knowledgeable people in this group who are going to give you a lot of support and ideas for how to stay on track.