Lost 58, but have 50+ to go... how to keep motivated????

Options
ldmoor
ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
For those of you that are on the road to a 100+ loss, or have hit goal, how the heck do you stay motivated? I haven't been this size in so long, I can't remember feeling this comfortable in my skin. I'm having a hard time justifying being so strict with my keto plan for losses. Part of me just wants to 'hang' at this weight a while and enjoy, while the other half is screaming at me to not stop now, and repeatedly calling myself a fool for even contemplating such a ridiculous notion. :)

I'm going to listen to the screaming banshee, and stay on task, but I need some motivators. What were your reasons to continue? I tend to set goals in 3-5 lb increments as to make the whole experience less daunting, but I certainly can't buy myself something cool every five pounds.

Love to hear how you got past the mid point strong.

Replies

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Do you follow an eating plan? I've just started here a month ago, so I can't speak to losing motivation yet. However, I try to focus on my eating plan and the "streak" that I have going-- for instance, I tell myself "I've eaten on-plan all week, I'm not blowing this streak today!" That way you don't even have to think about the scale number if you're plateauing, and it takes the focus off of how much there is left to do and puts it more into the immediate goals and how well you've done thus far.

There was another thread talking about rewarding yourself-- one person buys a small gift card to a favorite clothing store for each small, incremental goal. Then when she hits goal weight she'll have a fund to go shopping with and purchase her new wardrobe. I thought that was a great idea!
  • linderbelle
    linderbelle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how as I've just begun 20 days ago. You are my hero!!! Can I make you my friend? You are truly an inspiration to us. You can do this--you have come so far. On the way to work this morning I was thinking--wrong thing to do--lol about times when I will have thoughts like you and I said to myself I should write myself a letter of why this is so important to me and those days I want to go off to read that letter and I must wait one hour before eating. May I ask how old you are? You rock!!!!
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    How bad do you want it? I have lost 100lbs, gained it back, and all varying amounts in-between (20,30,50, etc) but that was all about "health" and vanity. This time, it's because I am tired of being in pain. I so want to be done with pain. Walk without pain, DO THINGS. There are things I can't do now that I could 5 years ago. time to live again!!!!

by the way, you look great, and look like you feel great. It's that enough to keep going?
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with this at the moment, too. I've lost 50 so I'm at halfway. Everyone compliments me. It's almost like I'm finished already. No real suggestions from me, just letting you know that you are not alone.

I decided to focus on losing 25 pounds from here. That number is significant to me for a number of reasons. We'll see if that works psychologically. It's really all a mind game, isn't it?
  • linderbelle
    linderbelle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    timeyn can I friend you? We have this in common plus I see you are an american living in Norway. I hope to be going in Norway in June 2016 and would love your advice on some things.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I consider myself in maintenance, but I know there's more I could do.

How about some pictures for inspiration?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1167854/photo-only-success-stories/p1

(Hat tip to @mwyvr for the link.)
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 8 pounds since mid January. I'm sure I'm eating over my calories and I need to exercise more but right now I focus on one day at a time, one meal at a time. There are definitely times I want to say to heck with this but I feel better overall and my blood work keeps coming back perfect so I know I'm on the right track. That's what I would recommend, focus on the non-scale victories and just take it one day at a time. When in doubt, eat a few carb-y foods and see how your body reacts. That's always an extra motivator for me, lol.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I have lost 125 total and have a smidge more to go.

I have cycled carbs from low to moderate, I have changed up my workout routines. I did a buddies workout for a few weeks!

I know this is a long haul.

The first 100 pounds lost is practice for the last 10.

It is very slow now and I need to remember that eating smart and burning it off still works., it just is with smaller calorie margins now.

The closer you get to your goal the more patient you need to be.

Think of a sculptor. At first they chisel off large chunks of stone getting to the basic shape. Lots of stone comes off quickly!

Then as the shape is emerging, smaller chisels are used to bring out details. Much less stone falls to the floor.

In the end it is a file or sand paper. The finest details come to life as the sculpture takes its final form. Only dust falls to the floor in the final stage.

So don't give up. Remember this is a thing done in stages. You will get there. Just keep at it. Chisel away the small bits, sand down the rough edges and let yourself emerge.
  • ldmoor
    Options

That is fabulous! I lose so slow, that I expect goal to be at least two years off, if not longer. It took me over a year and a half to get 58 gone.

I think I'm going to make a sign with that quote and put it where I can see it all the time. When I hit 100 gone, I'll be less than 10 from my 'fantasy' goal - which is still 180. I can't even imagine more than that.

• ldmoor
    Options
    Yes, I have an eating plan that I stick to, macros and everything. It's not hard, and I'm starting to try new foods and recipes to see if I can shake things up a little. This is an absolute life change for medical reasons, and I have no intentions of ever living less than a 30 carb restriction for life.

Since I cut all frankenfoods, I still have to find substitutes I enjoy for ice cream, branded choc candies and stay away from soda. My body thinks sugar substitutes are the real thing, and right now, those frankenfoods (like Carbsmart ice cream.... :) ) are calling to me...

Maybe I have to dig out some old pics of myself and put them in a prominent area. I have an awful time imagining myself less than 220, and I really need to get it through my head that its an obtainable goal. I hit 230 this week, so 220 is just a short time away. I have been over 200 pounds for over 25 years.
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    You know it will happen if you just stick with it.

You have every reason to believe you can!

I eat 20 calorie Splenda sweetened Popsicles. A good treat!

I have an old pic or two. I kept a pair of fat pants. It is amazing and sad at the same time.
  • luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I consider myself in maintenance, but I know there's more I could do.

How about some pictures for inspiration?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1167854/photo-only-success-stories/p1

(Hat tip to @mwyvr for the link.)

These are awesome. Are they from this group??
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    That's a thread from the main forum, but I'm sure there are a few low-carbers in there. IIRC, low-carb only represents about 6% of the dieting population.
  • JustMe2C
    JustMe2C Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have lost 125 total and have a smidge more to go.

I have cycled carbs from low to moderate, I have changed up my workout routines. I did a buddies workout for a few weeks!

I know this is a long haul.

It is very slow now and I need to remember that eating smart and burning it off still works., it just is with smaller calorie margins now.

The closer you get to your goal the more patient you need to be.

Think of a sculptor. At first they chisel off large chunks of stone getting to the basic shape. Lots of stone comes off quickly!

Then as the shape is emerging, smaller chisels are used to bring out details. Much less stone falls to the floor.

In the end it is a file or sand paper. The finest details come to life as the sculpture takes its final form. Only dust falls to the floor in the final stage.

So don't give up. Remember this is a thing done in stages. You will get there. Just keep at it. Chisel away the small bits, sand down the rough edges and let yourself emerge.

Such an inspiration! Love it!!

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm a HUGE FAN and ADVOCATE of maintaining after any huge chunk of loss. I got my head going well last year in a challenge and started tracking and all that, lost weight, and stuff, but by the end, I was totally building my whole week around weigh ins and started getting completely insane about it.

So I took off time, gained about 7 pounds back and maintained in a 5 pound range for about 6 months while I just spent time thinking about everything, getting my head in the game. And this is after I went from 319 down to 300 - maintained there for a few years without realizing, then 300 down to 250, maintained for a bit, then back up to 272 down to 245 (above, regained and maintained 250-255 from June to December).

As a result, each time I maintained for a length of time at a weight, it became my body's new normal, and it was fairly easy after a point to maintain without my body trying to regain it's previous normal. I started at 262 (some holiday gain) on 1/15. I'm currently around 240, but I've lost several inches off my waist, hips, and all the standard measurements. I've lost two full pants sizes, and I'm just going strong. I've kind of slowed on my losses because I want to lose the way I will maintain (and that's keeping loose track of everything - not being a diary anal obsessive person like I was before I went all insane in that challenge). If I find this doesn't work, I'll move back to more active tracking.

Mixing things up helps a lot to keep from getting bored and all that, but I would suggest, keep experimenting. Maintain your current weight for 3-6 months. Maintaining, no matter at what level, is practice for the rest of your life. This will allow your metabolism to level out, your body to "settle," and you to get a strong base across the board for when you're ready to jump back in and fight for that next stage...

Because you will find that passion to kick it up a notch again. But you have to give your mental stores a chance to reboot and refuel, too, and then you'll come back stronger than ever for the next chapter!
  • ldmoor
    Options
    I haven't really lost a huge chunk at any point in time. My losses are around 3 pounds a month. Turtle style. This has been a long, slow slog through thick mud. I thought I'd stop at some setpoints, but I passed those fifteen pounds ago. The territory I'm in now was during a pregnancy. I won't hit another weight that I was at for any period of time for another 10-15 pounds. I have truly never been this weight as an adult - only for a few weeks as a pregnant woman.

PCOS and insulin resistance tend to take your willpower and smash it regularly. I don't intend on stopping if I can hold on to it. I may eventually succumb to the voice that tells me to relax and enjoy, but for now, its nose to the grindstone.

As long as I can face each morning and have a daily goal of just sticking to plan, I can make it. If I give in to the dark side, and allow myself to enjoy the weight I'm at today, I may never start again. I am not ok with that.

Keeping myself motivated to stick to plan is the task right now. Today was a victory, as I crossed into the 220's overnight. I feel refreshed and want to see that number 60 in the loss column, so for now, I have a goal. The next goal would be 225, and that's a place I have never been. I want to know what 225 feels like.

• emmaps55
    emmaps55 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ldmoor wrote: »
    If I give in to the dark side, and allow myself to enjoy the weight I'm at today, I may never start again. I am not ok with that.

I understand how you feel. I "futzed around" above 200 for over 8 years -- every time I got a bit below 200 I would blow it and gain right back up. I lost the same 10-15 lbs a thousand times.

Now at 185, I do not want to stay at this weight for another 8 years. Staying here truly feels like "the dark side" as you put it! I want to get back down another 20-25+ lbs so that I am at a weight I can work to maintain -- not forever be in the "dieting mentality" -- even though I know maintaining is going to look pretty much like what I'm doing today....

I hadn't thought of taking 3-6 months off in the middle to maintain. Part of my motivation that has kept me going is I want to surprise a group of friends in our winter home, who don't know I've been losing weight. I want their mouths to drop open when they see me in late October - when I hope to be 40 lbs thinner than when they last saw me in April! So that's my motivation to keep plugging away NOW, vs taking a few months off.... but maybe mid-December to mid-March might be a good time to just work at maintaining wherever I am -- and then make the final push down to my goal range. I'll have to think about it.

• professionalHobbyist
    Options
    I haven't really lost a huge chunk at any point in time. My losses are around 3 pounds a month. Turtle style. This has been a long, slow slog through thick mud. I thought I'd stop at some setpoints, but I passed those fifteen pounds ago. The territory I'm in now was during a pregnancy. I won't hit another weight that I was at for any period of time for another 10-15 pounds. I have truly never been this weight as an adult - only for a few weeks as a pregnant woman.

PCOS and insulin resistance tend to take your willpower and smash it regularly. I don't intend on stopping if I can hold on to it. I may eventually succumb to the voice that tells me to relax and enjoy, but for now, its nose to the grindstone.

As long as I can face each morning and have a daily goal of just sticking to plan, I can make it. If I give in to the dark side, and allow myself to enjoy the weight I'm at today, I may never start again. I am not ok with that.

Keeping myself motivated to stick to plan is the task right now. Today was a victory, as I crossed into the 220's overnight. I feel refreshed and want to see that number 60 in the loss column, so for now, I have a goal. The next goal would be 225, and that's a place I have never been. I want to know what 225 feels like.

Just wondering if you take metformin or asked your Dr. I just shared about a friend of a few months that has PCOS and is trying to drop pounds. She started it and found it helpful in weight loss.

Have a nice weekend!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Just wondering if you take metformin or asked your Dr. I just shared about a friend of a few months that has PCOS and is trying to drop pounds. She started it and found it helpful in weight loss.

Have a nice weekend!

I know this wasn't directed toward me, but I'll answer, too. Metformin did help (somewhat) with my insulin resistance, but it also caused explosive gastro side effects with dairy. With dairy 2-4 hours either side of it for me. Since dairy is a key to me staying in compliance currently with my WOE, I chose (with medical supervision) to stop the Metformin. My doctor is pleased enough with the changes I'm making that as long as I do not have further insulin complications or a test result indicating that it is not improving or maintaining, he is okay with me not taking the Metformin. I find that the side effects (for me, not everyone gets them the same) just weren't worth the benefits...
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Although I don't have 100+ to loose (total of about 75lbs) I'm almost 1/2 way and I'm feeling the same as you. This is the lowest I can remembere being and it's now easy to move around and do things. There's less motivation to keep pushing.

So, what I've done is I just keep trying to remember what it was like when I couldn't move, when I couldn't run, when I had pain all the time and I was tired, when I was embarassed to look in the mirror or be seen in public. I feel like if I give in now and don't keep going to goal, it's just the begining of a slippery sloap back to where I was.

Secondly, I then look to the future and pick a thing that I can't do yet, that I will be able to do when I lose more of the weight. I need something to look forward to.

And finally, it sounds like you're really identifying with the restrictiveness of your way of eating in order to get the results you want. When I want to eat ice cream, or well, anything really other than meat (I have to do zero carb to see any weight loss) instead of thinking, "wow, there isn't anything I can eat" I try and change my perspective and reframe it to positive. I think, "that stuff is really not going to move me to where I want to go." I look at the meat and eggs and think "THIS! This is my medicine. This is what gave me my life back. This is what keeps me able to do the things I can do now and enjoy this new body".

So for what it's worth, I'm also trying to find motivation, I totally get what you're saying, and hopefully some of these strategies I've come up with might help you too.

Keep on truckin!