Low carb rabbit recipes?

Options
AngInCanada
AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
Does anyone have any low carb ways to cook rabbit? We normally do a coat in flour, fry it and then bake in a cream sauce which is quite high in carbs so just looking for other options.

Please do not reply with ewww or gross. It won't be well received.

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I love rabbit... being Italian, lol. Here's an easy recipe - but to make it lower carb I'd use low carb Ketchup or tomato paste and ditch the sugar, if you want you can always add a tiny bit of no-carb sweetener of choice.
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Roasted-Rabbit/Detail.aspx?evt19=1&referringHubId=16356
    Rabbit is so lean that most recipes call for sauces and they are usually thickened with roux or are full of potatoes & carrots for the stews.
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    Yum! That looks great! Thanks. Looks easily modified to be keto :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Xanthum gum can be used similarly to cornstarch and is much lower in carbs (but it has to be sprinkled in slowly to absorb) if that helps with the carby sauce.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Toss whole in a crockpot with some stock and vegetables. Low and slow is the name of the game for rabbit.
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Toss whole in a crockpot with some stock and vegetables. Low and slow is the name of the game for rabbit.

Yes! We are raising one litter of rabbits a bit longer so they are a little bigger so low and slow will be the best. Any particular spices?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I like mine with a bit of rosemary, not too much though or it overpowers the meat.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am SOOO jealous!! :s
  • UKChap37
    UKChap37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Ang,

This was initially a pie filling, but since going LC now eat it as a meal but without a pastry lid and is still wonderful.

Brown the rabbit in a large pan using a tablespoon of coconut oil and 25g of butter. Include the liver and kidney if you have them for additional flavor.

Remove from the pan, and brown 150g of pancetta. Remove the pancetta.

Lower the gently and gently fry 1 sliced onion, 1 sliced fennel bulb, 1 clove sliced garlic for 3 mins.

Add 175ml white wine, increase the heat and let it bubble for a couple of mins to evaporate the alcohol. Scrape any caramelized bits from the base of the pan.

Return the rabbit and pancetta, add 600ml of chicken stock and a bay leaf. Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours until the rabbit is tender.

Remove rabbit and leave until cool enough to handle the strip the meat from the bones.

Bring the pan to the boil and boil to reduce the liquid by at least half.

Stir in 200ml of double cream, bring back to the boil.

Add 2 tablespoons of hopped parsley, season with salt and pepper.

Return the rabbit meat to the sauce and stir to coat.

Tastes great and freezes well.

Hope you give it a try and let me know what you think.

Cheers.
  • UKChap37
    UKChap37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Further thoughts.....

As the above was originally a pie filling it might benefit from further cooking. I made up a large batch, cooked as above then separated into small pie dishes then froze them. I have been defrosting the pies, cooking for 1/2 hour in the oven then discarding the pastry lid prior to eating.

The lid probably helps keep it moist, the next batch i will leave the lid out, cover the pie dish with silver foil and oven bake for 1/2 hour.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against eating rabbit but I have a pet one and everytime I see your title I think "Why does a rabbit need to eat low carb?" Lol. I have a cat on a grain free diet so it's not impossible I suppose. I have no tips on cooking one, though, because my daughter would sooner cook me than her bunny.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    I have nothing against eating rabbit but I have a pet one and everytime I see your title I think "Why does a rabbit need to eat low carb?" Lol. I have a cat on a grain free diet so it's not impossible I suppose. I have no tips on cooking one, though, because my daughter would sooner cook me than her bunny.
    I had the same thought! Why does a rabbit need to lose weight? LOL! I wish I could somehow get my dog on low carb! (She does eat my scraps, so there's hope)