Protein Shakes

Options
ProfAlly
ProfAlly Posts: 17 Member
edited May 2015 in Social Groups
Hey, everyone! I am the Mom of a 9 month old boy and a full time college professor. I am interested in trying a protein shake that is low calorie since I'm always on the go. I'm in the process of losing baby weight - 19 more lbs to go!

Please share any shake recipes you have! Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• BonnieSlee
    BonnieSlee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite recipe. I had my doubts with the Kale, but you can't taste it.
    1 cup chopped kale
    1 6 inch banana
    1 small apple
    1 cup sugar free frozen mixed berries
    1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
    10 oz. water.

Makes 2 snacks or 1 meal replacement

This nutrient info is for the entire smoothie.
    410 Cal., 71 Carbs, 3 fat, 27 protein, 116 sodium, 15 Fiber
  • Kidominos
    Kidominos Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You can pretty much make any protein shake you want and in the calorie range you want with the basics:

1 scoop (serving) protein powder or similar product
    1 cup liquid like almond milk, regular milk, water etc
    1 cup of ice - reduce if you are using frozen fruit

I make a chocolate mocha protein shake every morning. Looks like a Wendy's frosty. I add a teaspoon of instant coffee after I add the almond milk. You can add spinach, kale, etc. calories could range anywhere from upper 100's to 400 plus depending on what you like. My sister makes a Visalus shake every morning with a banana and almond milk and it comes up to right under 200 calories. Mine is right under 300. I also eat a dark chocolate oatmeal banana protein "cookie" with it every morning.
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    http://simplegreensmoothies.com

Check out this site another member sent the details to me. They don't include protein powders but nothing stops you adding them if you so wish.

I've ordered a NutriNinja to use to make my shakes.
  • CarolAnn1969BT
    CarolAnn1969BT Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When you make your shakes do you use whey or soy protein??
  • Kidominos
    Kidominos Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I use whey but many use soy or plant based. I love the Pure Protein Rich Chocolate. It can be bought at Walmart, Meijer, Target etc.
  • ProfAlly
    ProfAlly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Thanks!! :-)
  • gscheibel
    gscheibel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use the following and find it filling for a few hours:
    1/2 banana
    1 TBS crunchy peanut butter ( I use Jiff)
    1 TBS Nestle's Cocoa powder
    crushed ice
    1 cup 2% milk

I blend it in my ninja and it is great. Not sure of all the break downs, but My Fitness Pal says it is 166 calories.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    1 C any low cal milk,1/2 C frozen strawberries,dash of vanilla,strawberry yogurt,1 C ice.bout 200 calories,20 protein.
    Made with frozen peaches & peach yogurt is also yummy. Pat
  • MeaganC89
    MeaganC89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    I just recently have a new found love for protein shakes. They are easy, filling and don't taste half bad either. I started with the simple powder and water after the gym but then read that its really important to mix with milk to give your body more protein. I was hesitant at first because of the calorie increase, but tried it and it's 100 times better in every way. My body feels better, it tastes better and it keeps me full longer.
    I searched for a sugar free powder and I found a vanilla powder made my Aria, sold at Trader Joes, that's yummy, inexpensive, sugar free, and low in calories, 90 calories for a serving! Its in a hot pink container.
    I mix it with 1 cup non-fat milk and 1 cup coconut milk (Silk Brand, unsweetened) and the calorie count is a total of 225. Not bad! and it tastes great.
    If you're at home and have a blender, throw in half a banana and 2 cups coconut milk, and some ice. You've got a smoothie that tastes like a milkshake for under 235 calories.
    They also have a chocolate protein powder that is just as good for 100 calories per serving as opposed to 90 cal.
    Hope this helps!
  • Tammynado
    Tammynado Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    1 cup unsweetened almond breeze almond milk
    2 scoops chocolate protein powder
    1/2 banana
    1 TBSP PB2
    1 tsp chia seeds
    3-4 ice cubes

This is my daily protein shake... I drink it at 7:30 and keeps me full till around 11 am for my morning snack. I use this organic plant based protein powder they sell at Costco. I have made the kale ones before with vanilla protein powder too but I personally like the taste of the chocolate better. You can also mix your protein powder (again chocolate taste best) with your morning coffee - you can add some almond milk and ice cubes and make it an iced protein coffee shake....

• beachchic3030
    beachchic3030 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    gscheibel wrote: »
    I use the following and find it filling for a few hours:
    1/2 banana
    1 TBS crunchy peanut butter ( I use Jiff)
    1 TBS Nestle's Cocoa powder
    crushed ice
    1 cup 2% milk

I blend it in my ninja and it is great. Not sure of all the break downs, but My Fitness Pal says it is 166 calories.

Thats basically how i make mine except i use pb powder for less calories n a whole banana n sometimes throw in a few handfuls of spinach
  • mskanakana
    mskanakana Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread. I have a protein shake most every morning. The mornings I have a bad food choice breakfast - seems like the rest of the day in downhill from there. I use a magic bullet and mix - one banana, 1/4-1-2 cup frozen mix of straberries and blueberries, some water (to save on calories!) , and scoop of whey protein powder. It fills me up and I feel like I've started the day the right way!
  • shkehoe
    shkehoe Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Great ideas! I also use smoothies for a couple reasons. One, I have digestive issues. The blended fruit and veggies help me to get enough veggie matter and protein into my system. The other is that during the week, I am a busy professional.

I make up enough for breakfast and drink till I'm full and then put the rest in a large water bottle with an open mouth (not the straw kind as it can clog it up). That carries me through the mornings and afternoons at work while I bring a small lunch too. And because of the digestive issues - I have 5-6 small meals a day.

I use all kinds of fruits - mainly what is in season or I have available. Match with some veggies and 1/3 to 1 scoop of Now Whey Protein Isolate. I like that one because all it has is the protein and nothing else period. I will sometimes also add %Greek Yogurt.

For instance, one I made was 1 c blueberries, 1 banana, 1 c strawberries, 2-3 cups spinach, 1/2 c carrots, 1/2 scoop Now Whey Protein Isolate. That filled me up the whole day at work. At lunch, I brought a few raw veggies to snack on too but I didn't each much as it the smoothie filled me.

I also use pumpkin seed powder sometimes too. There are other protein powders too that are vegan, I just find the ones that do not have soy as I can't have it. I just avoid any with anything added than the protein itself.

I also have some chia seeds at home but recently found a huge bag of poppy seeds at the grocers. Nutritionally, they are about the same but the poppy seeds are way cheaper. I make a nut dip using peanut butter, mashed banana, chia/poppy seeds, ground flax seed, raw pumpkin and sunflower seeds to. Not really low cal but it's great to dip in fruit and veggies. But we do need some fat to burn fat and metabolize certain vitamins.

The great thing about chia seeds is that I can make a really quick raw jam with it. Chia is a natural thickener. I'm not much of a sweet tooth so I add very little sweetness to it if any at all. When I do, I add raw honey or real maple syrup. Coconut sugar could be used too or whatever you have. But really, when you use raw fruits, the natural sugars are usually sweet enough.

Anyhow - back to the shakes. They are great for when you are on the go and/or have digestive issues like me.
  • unityone7
    unityone7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I will make a cup of hot water and fresh lemon juice and drink this about 30 minutes before I take my shake. (This jump starts my kidneys and is very good for you)

1)I am an Herbalife Supervisor, so I do use Herbalife Formula 1, Healthy Meal Vanilla, (2 scoops) with about 1 cup Almond Breeze Milk (30 calories) but will also Cahsew milk which has (25 calories!) and also tastes great. Please note: low fat milk, has 120 calories!

I use 1 scoop Herbalife Prolessa Duo which helps with hunger control, varying fresh, (blueberries, strawberries) or frozen, and/or bananas with the berries. I will also add a guessing amount of water to the thickness I prefer.

I am hungry in the morning, so I will make a thicker shake and just add more water to it at this time of day.

I also would increase my water during the day and start to reduce at night, so I am able to sleep through the night. Most people really are dehydrated.
    Sometimes, if I need the extra fiber I will also use chia seeds and this will help comfortable eliminiation.

2) I will also use the Dutch Chocolate Herbalife Formula 1 with prolessa duo with almond or cashew milk with a banana, peanut butter powder or almond butter with sometimes fresh raspberries...as above. Adding water as to get desired thickness.

I have lost 35 pounds, then was hurt and was bedridden for 7 months, and gained back about 20 pounds. :( But I know I need to stay healthy and keep this weight off, so I started back up again, and have lost another 15 pounds...it's been ups and downs, but am now able to walk where I could not before and feel much better. Then I have more weight to loose to get to goal weight.

I also take walks, which helped me with depression at times, and started to look for healthy alternatives to the recipes I had before.

I had done a detoxing program before I started to loose weight again, and that really helped me.

I have worked hard at reducing my portions and decreased pastas and breads, and red meats.

I have reduced inflamation in my feet, ankles, knees and hips..sleep better at night. Reduced cholesteral, and my risk of diabetees.

I used to deal alot with emotional eating through very difficult times in my life...but work at taking care of myself better and pray to Jesus for HIS help for me...and HE has been ever faithful.

Some of these things, may be helpful...I surely hope so. It has taken years for me to be an unhealthy weight...and it doesn't just happen over night...I want this to be a journey to a healthier me...not just another diet that leads to another diet.

My husband and I also juice organic veggies or buy less expensive ones, and wash the outsides of them, to be sure the chemicals are gone from them. There can be dangerous toxins in your juicing if you do not take note of this. You will be drinking the chemicals that are toxic to your body. Please do some reading on it.

There are detoxing juice recipes that can be followed as well.

<3

• pyxis953
    pyxis953 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of boring. I usually prep dinner during my lunch hour, so I blend up 2 scoops of dutch chocolate isopure (low carb, 50g protein), some water, ice cubes, and a drop or two of peppermint. The fake chocolate taste doesn't bother me. I blend up the same for my 70 year old mother but add a tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder to make it more palatable for her.
  • kparnell889
    kparnell889 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For someone who is a busy mom and professor, I'm taking into consideration you probably don't have a lot of time during the weekdays to blend a protein shake. For something efficient and suitable for an on- the-go lifestyle, PREMIER PROTEIN ® may be an option. You can get these pre-made protein shakes at Costco or directly off their website http://www.premierprotein.com/ 160cal total, 30g protein and only 1g of sugar! Plus it tastes super yummy :) love the strawberry&creme flavor.