Getting back on the running bandwagon - tips?

Options
julie_emma
julie_emma Posts: 16 Member
Hello all! Some of you may remember me from the last few years (please feel free to re-add me!) - I was a middle-of-the-pack HM runner. I'm embarrassed to say that I've taken about an 8 month hiatus because my med school program took over my time/sleep/life.

The good news is I finish my med school Clerkship next Friday and so I'm hoping to get back into running! I went for a meager 3 miles yesterday and felt prettttty winded so I know it's going to be a long road to get back to where I was. Wondering if anyone has tips on getting back into running shape? E.g. I was running 5-6 days per week previously, but not sure if it's OK to jump back into this frequency? Any good training plans out there for rebuilding a base?

Thank you!!

Julie

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Running every other day is a good guideline in the beginning--it gives your muscles and especially bones time to recover and rebuild while you build up the ability to run more often and longer Since you're already at the 5K stage (especially, I bet, if you slowed down a little, which is better for you anyway o:) ), why not run 2-3 miles every other day for a few weeks, then check into a 5K to 10K bridge program? Usually they have you crosstraining (walking, elliptical, bike) on the off days, with a rest day.

I like this general guidelines: "Distance, frequency, intensity--increase one at a time."
  • jtdominion
    jtdominion Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    IMO, jumping right back to the previous frequency may not be the best idea. Sure, you could pull it off but there's also a huge risk of injury. And then you may have to take even more time off! My advice is to take it slow and ease into it. I know it sucks to restart but the alternative may do more harm than good. I am sure in no time you will be back to where you were before.

I took about 6 months off running and was, like you, winded about 3 miles in. But 3 weeks in, I was back to where I was in term of distance. So now am just working on the pace.

Good luck!

J
  • julie_emma
    Options
    Thanks for your input! I'll try running other day at a slow pace and see how it goes. It's so hard to stop myself from just jumping back into it though- this morning, I already started looking for races in the fall to train for! But you're both right, I don't want to end up with an injury.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I'm with jtdominion. You need to hold yourself back a bit, at first. But conditioning and the ability to run fast and far like you once did returns pretty darn quickly.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have had to take extended breaks from running for surgeries in the past, so I know how difficult that feeling of "starting back from square one" can be. However, I agree with the others who have said that you need to take it slow. I think that running every other day is a good place to start, then gradually increase the mileage of one or two of your weekly runs.

The other thing that helped me get through those periods is adding strength training and yoga on my in between days. I did P90X alternating with running once and I felt like I got so strong in doing so, it kept me from wanting to push too hard on my runs and I also feel like it probably helped me to avoid injury as well. Good luck and glad to have you back!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    The good news is that cardiovascular endurance comes back quicker than you think it will. The bad news is that you still need to ease back into it. Stick with the 3 miles 4-5 times a week for a few weeks, then start building.
    I was out for 6 months last year after surgery. Once I started "running" it took a couple of months just to build to 3 miles because of the ankle, so in a way the injury rehab really forced me to build back up slowly. Once I could do 3 miles on consecutive days without pain, I used Hal Higdon's novice 2 to work my way towards half marathon distance, and it worked perfectly.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    julie_emma wrote: »
    Thanks for your input! I'll try running other day at a slow pace and see how it goes. It's so hard to stop myself from just jumping back into it though- this morning, I already started looking for races in the fall to train for! But you're both right, I don't want to end up with an injury.

I am in the same boat and its EXTREMELY frustrating and hard not to compare my recent runs to the running I was doing while in serious marathon training. I have to remind myself. Slow and steady. Patience is not my strong suit though. I just signed up for 3 half marathons! August, November and February.

• julie_emma
    Options
    ka97 wrote: »
    The good news is that cardiovascular endurance comes back quicker than you think it will. The bad news is that you still need to ease back into it. Stick with the 3 miles 4-5 times a week for a few weeks, then start building.
    I was out for 6 months last year after surgery. Once I started "running" it took a couple of months just to build to 3 miles because of the ankle, so in a way the injury rehab really forced me to build back up slowly. Once I could do 3 miles on consecutive days without pain, I used Hal Higdon's novice 2 to work my way towards half marathon distance, and it worked perfectly.

I'm sorry to hear about your surgery, but glad that it sounds like you are doing much better! hal higdon is a good suggestion - I've used the novice 2 plan in the past (pre hiatus) actually :)