High fat diet/higher calories

Options
SkinnyKerinny
SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
What is your opinion of increasing the fat intake if the calories go over the daily goal of 1300? Is it better to have more fat or lower calories if both don't seem realistic? I'm asking because I am still hungry after upping the fat. I increased the fat in the last 2 days based on someone's suggestion. I thought I could still stay in the same calorie range but it has gone up to around 1800 - 2000.

Your thoughts and suggestions are most welcome. Thanks a kazillion!!!

Here is last Thursday's totals:
Totals 1,321 63 92 60 2,226 30
Your Daily Goal 1,687 72 124 73 2,300 56
Remaining 366 8 32 12 73 26
Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
*You've earned 367 extra calories from exercise today

Yesterday:
Totals 1,817 40 163 52 6,049 20
Your Daily Goal 1,596 67 119 67 2,300 55
Remaining -221 26 -44 14 -3,749 35
*You've earned 276 extra calories from exercise today

Replies

• SkinnyKerinny
    Options
    Sorry it posted before I was able to format yesterday's totals. This should be easier to read:

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It looks like you've been a little low on protein. If it were me, I'd focus on increasing protein first since it is very satiating.

Increasing fat is a bet that your hunger will soon be reduced and that you'll naturally start eating less. It's probably a pretty safe bet, but it's a personal call. Counting and reducing calories will work too, but many find that they don't need to.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    Options
    Time for bacon! LOL
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Keri

I have to watch the calories. For me, it's carb count first, then calories--then play with the fat grams. YMMV.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I have to watch calories too.
    When I first got started with keto I saw that everyone talks about fat, fat and more fat! So I made some fat bombs and was putting 1Tbs each coconut oil and butter and hwc in my coffee. I would also add at least 1Tbs (usually more) butter to my eggs or veggies or whatever I was cooking. That's what I read others were doing, so that's what I did.
    Then I realized that my calories were well over my goal and I couldn't figure out why there was no room for dinner calories in my day. I also had pretty low protein overall.
    Well, I didn't need to add all that fat. Just some of it. So now I only add 1tsp coconut oil and 1Tbs hwc to coffee and 1/2 to 1Tbs butter while cooking.
    I make sure I get my 60-70g protein now and only use added fat to control hunger and get my calories in. All the fat bombs I made are still in my freezer because they are just going to be calories I don't need since I've found the fat balance that works for me.
    It made more sense to me to make achieving the protein goal the priority and just not allowing carbs to creep too high and allowing only as much fat as my calorie goal would allow, but placing it strategically throughout my day to control hunger.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    Options
    I hear you Sunny!

I bumped up the carbs to hopefully help depressing feelings when I first started about a week ago. Then I bumped up the fat. All this stuff adds up! So now I will focus on (slowly) lowering the carbs again-- they are probably making me more hungry. And I will watch the fats also. That should get my calories back in the range.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    It looks like you could bring the fat down about 20g or more and up your protein to even it out, it'll bring your calories lower and the protein will help you feel full. I struggled a lot in the beginning too get enough protein
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I watch total calories now much more.

When I had a hundred pounds to drop it was so easy to lose weight.

Now I notice if I snack on too many nuts or other high fat yummy thing and go way over calories.... Weight loss stops.

So I do have some coconut oil in my coffee to smooth the taste 1/3 of a teaspoon and a quick dash of heavy cream.

I found that just taking a tums antacid is a good appetite calmer. It is calcium which is good for me and I only chew 2 and get my vitamin D.

But carbs are still the same. Source my carbs from fibrous veggies. That fiber has a way of making some of the calories just not get absorbed.

I just learned MFP does not subtract fiber carbs, so I have been getting fewer carbs than I thought.

• JustMe2C
    JustMe2C Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a calculator I used to help me figure out my macros (courtesy of another member here):

http://www.flexibleketogenic.com/
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I really liked these calculators and found the information within very helpful.
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
    And
    http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    One other point about high fat in your loaded coffee in the morning is that many people who do that find they don't need to eat very much until dinner... the fat quells the hunger. They maybe get by with a 200 cal snack mid afternoon. Then you have more calories to enjoy for your evening meal. If you are like me, though, I tend to want to eat 3 meals out of routine, and so if I overdo the fat, my day's totals will be too high.

You could try a fat fast, too: 500 cals for 24-hour period, then 5-6 days of your normal keto eating, then back to a fat fast. Google the variations, there are lots!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    What is your opinion of increasing the fat intake if the calories go over the daily goal of 1300? Is it better to have more fat or lower calories if both don't seem realistic? I'm asking because I am still hungry after upping the fat. I increased the fat in the last 2 days based on someone's suggestion. I thought I could still stay in the same calorie range but it has gone up to around 1800 - 2000.

Your thoughts and suggestions are most welcome. Thanks a kazillion!!!

Here is last Thursday's totals:
    Totals 1,321 63 92 60 2,226 30
    Your Daily Goal 1,687 72 124 73 2,300 56
    Remaining 366 8 32 12 73 26
    *You've earned 367 extra calories from exercise today

Yesterday:

Since I have gone low carb high fat I use a tspn of peanut butter in my protein shakes to reach my macros...typically my day ends with 1350cals-1450cals and I have lost almost a pound a day regardless.
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I watch (in the order of priority): carbs, calories, fat, and protein.

I don't have any trouble hitting my protein target, but I do have to do some mental math throughout the day to make sure I don't eat too much protein and enough fat.

If I eat too much protein, it can spike my blood sugar.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I find it very interesting how differently, but ultimately the same, we all work our diets.
    Some focus on fat while others on protein. Some eat mostly meat while others more veg and our carb limits are even more varied.
    It just goes to show you that it's a flexible way of eating that you adjust and observe your personal results as you go until you get the result you are looking for.
    But there is a formula that's right for you that will fit into your life in an easily manageable way. Play around with your plan and try some different adjustments and you will settle into the one that's right for you.