How many carbs a day

Options
FaithMathias
FaithMathias Posts: 56 Member
Hello, I am taking in about 55 carbs a day is that to many? I normally eat light for breakfast but after an hour workout I need to regroup. I have a smooth made of kale, yogurt and fruit for a snack. next my lunch is a piece of meat, salad and beans. my next snack watermelon but talking about still hungry that is me. I burn 443 calories working out this morning but myfitpal says I gain 443 calories. I can have due to my exercise today. I am not sure do that mean on top of the 1500 I am trying for I can have extra?

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    How many carbs depends on your goals. If you're wanting to get into and stay into keto than you want to keep it around 50. I wouldn't eat back exercise carbs. If you feel you need more calories, eat more protein and fat. If keto isn't the goal, then you want to find the number that allows you to lose weight and feel healthy.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    MFP is a big fat liar when it comes to exercise calories...don't believe a word of it, lol. Max calories I'd eat back is half of the exercise amount and THAT'S for Maintenance, not weight loss. I maintain at 100 net carbs give or take a bit, but to lose... 50 or under, but that's me - I was never carb sensitive - used to eat 3 or 400 quality whole food non- processed carbs daily and stay a low-normal healthy weight until I got a severe lung infection and then a chronic illness.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Anything under 100g works great. You'll make a bunch of ketones at 55g/d, and more if you exercise. At that level, both insulin and ghrelin levels will be low. The low insulin encourages "fat burning" and the low ghrelin suppresses hunger.
  • FaithMathias
    FaithMathias Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat:Now, I know stay within 50 carbs. I was wondering if I should set my goal for calories to 1200 verse the 1500. I did the military diet and lost 10 pounds in three days but of course that diet is short lived. So I need something else some people say I should not even do fruit just vegetable, meat and water.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think you should limit yourself to just 1,200 calories. Unless you are very short and near your goal weight in which case 1,200 might be what you need to lose weight. If you are taller and still have a significant amount to lose, then 1,500 should be fine. I'm 5'6" and not far from goal and I am losing weight on 1500 calories.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Are you losing at 1500? I say if you are, stay at 1500. Don't lower until you hit a plateau of 4 weeks or so.
  • suessm
    suessm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If I eat more than 30g of carbs, no matter how many calories I eat, I gain weight... That is just me... I have heard others eat a bunch more and still lose... You need to find your own magic number...
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    So far I try to stay under 20g of net carbs, I don't worry as much about calories, I eat until I'm satisfied, then I stop.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I eat between 15-20g TOTAL carbs a day, and 1200 cals.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 20-45 g net carbs/day. It varies depending on my mood.
  • giftbouquets
    giftbouquets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I try to keep below 100. Weight seems to be coming off so far.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    MFP is a big fat liar when it comes to exercise calories...don't believe a word of it, lol.

I agree with you there! :smile:
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I eat between 15-20g TOTAL carbs a day, and 1200 cals.

I am about the same, but about 10 to 15 total carbs a day and 1200 calories. . I. Can't exercise, so I am trying to keep them low... Still learning though, so it's subject to change :-D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My eating style is sort of south beach meets mediterranean, so my carb counts are higher than some.
    Somewhere between 50-100 most days probably.
    Still much less than SAD, and my carbs are primarily high quality, nutrient dense carbs: vegetables, berries, soybeans/legumes...
  • jingles0231
    jingles0231 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    OMG, please explain carbs to me. MFP has me on 1790 cal, 224 carbs, 21 fiber,90 protein, 11500 sodium, 60 fat. Need to lose over 150 lbs. I read net carbs, keeping below 30 carbs, etc. I just want to know if I can lose weight on their program. And why are my carbs 224 and someone else has 30. I am sooooo confused, I am getting flustered.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    You can change the macro breakdown MFP gives. It defaults to the standard american diet. Figure out what your numbers should be using a calculator like this: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Then once you do that, we can tell you how to change it on MFP. If you don't care about low carb, then you can attempt what MFP says, but for many of us, SAD will not work for us....
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8-1/2" and eat at least 1700 calories per day. I'm somewhere between lightly and moderately active, as I'm a stay-at-home-mom of 3 and have to move around most of the day just to keep up with my kids and try to keep up with the housework, in that order. I also regularly do some form of light to moderate cardio, and lift weights 2-3x per week.

Many days lately I've been eating over my calorie limit. I try to stay under 50g carbs, not subtracting net carbs, and it's working like a charm these days. My weight loss has slowed since the beginning, but I'm still losing weight.

I just wanted to offer my example to illustrate that not all people function best at 1200 or even 1500 calories per day. I do keep track of everything I eat, so I can't really ignore calories, and wouldn't even if I could. But the carb number and macro ratios are what I focus on, as well as eating fresh and clean food as much as I can.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm between 15 and 30 net carbs a day MOST days. I do log every days even when I "indulge" so some days are higher than my goal of 20 net carbs.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    switched to under 10 per day. Sometimes closer to 5. Increased my fat. My formula is that my carbs and protein grams must be < my fat grams.