Energy snacks/gels?

Options
brocantrs
brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
Any recommendations on energy snacks on the road?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Hammer gel, Clif bars, Fig Newtons
  • brocantrs
    Options
    Hammer gel, Clif bars, Fig Newtons
    Thanks, I'll try them. I've already ordered some Gu gel from eBay. Ever tried that?
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    I like Gu gels. Big Apple, Mandarin Orange and Cherry Limeade. Love Clif Bars as well. Pumpkin Spice, Cool Mint Chocolate and Crunchy Peanut Butter. Other snacks are strawberry Fig Newtons and bananas.
  • brocantrs
    Options
    Making me hungry with the strawberry fig newtons. I've had those before but not for the energy. I'll definitely take some along on the bike rides.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    for "just in case" stuff (i.e. stuff it in my pocket in case I suddenly flag and fail) on a shorter ride, say 2-3 hours, then I quite like the Clif Bars (+1 for the peanut butter) and my go-to gel is the Torq ones, mainly because the Rhubarb Crumble flavour one is actually pleasant - whereas most others i've tried tend to be just like fruit-flavoured snot. For longer rides I actually tend to go with "real food" - make up small bite-sized sandwiches of ham/cheese and wrap them for transit (I sourced some foil-backed greaseproof paper which is brilliant for this.) I'm toying with the idea of making up a small batch of the Feedzone Cookbook Ricecakes from this recipe, if ever I actually get fit enough to do back to back 3+ hour rides again...

https://feedzonecookbook.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/feedzonecookbook_allenlimricecakes.pdf

• kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Just make sure it's something that your stomach can handle; experiment is the key and do so before your main event. I'm on Cliff Bars typically (Costco economy pack - peanut butter and chocolate) and on supported events I lean toward bananas.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Gu is my go-to gel, particularly the Root Beer and Salted Caramel flavors. Clif bars (especially the Peanut Butter), Gu Chomps, Honey Stinger Chews, and Honey Stinger waffles tend to fill out the menu. I never, ever ride without at least a Gu gel or two in my jersey pocket. I usually eat Clif bars pre- and post-ride, gels and sometimes waffles during.

Having said all that, I must reiterate what @kcjchang said: experiment with various products. You'll likely find some your stomach doesn't like as much. And whatever you do, don't use untested products during big events. Go with the proven.
  • Bikerchickmomma
    Bikerchickmomma Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My favorite long distance snacks are dried fruit, and nuts. I will also indulge in a cappuccino if I stop at a gas station to use the bathroom and take a break. What's a better source of energy than caffeine and sugar? For an energy snack on the move, the Goo and Gel snacks work. Do make sure you drink enough water. Dehydration can be very bad.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What are you looking for? Calories? Caffeine? Electrolytes?

I like honey stinger ginsting gels and powerbar gels w/ caffeine. But that's based on what I want out of a gel. I also like rice crispy treats.
  • brocantrs
    Options
    Just wanting to prevent the "bonk". It happened to me a while ago but never again after I started drinking Gatorade and taking a peanut jelly sandwich with me. Looking for something more compact. I appreciate all of the good advice!
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Started drinking BCAA about an hour before my long rides. I then have a bottle with HYDRALYTE (similar to SKRATCH LABS) as it has a higher sodium content and carbs so it is not sweet like regular sports drinks. This is all supplemented with a couple of GU's and a BE NATURAL trail bar. I have found that this is more than enough for a 4 to 5 hour ride.
    For commutes BCAA in my bottle is more than enough for the hour.
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've used the uncrustables BP and honey on whole wheat for a more substantial snack than prepackaged energy foods (gu/powerbar/etc) if you like your sandwiches. Bobo Bars are great and pretzels too.

I like IM bonk breakers, the non fruit flavored gus (salted caramel macchiato, express love, stuff like that), if you don't like the gu'ish ness of Gu try the Accel gel - it's more liquid than gu like.

I like ShotBloks too - the margarita has a bit of salt to it and the mountain berry is yum-o.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    brocantrs wrote: »
    Just wanting to prevent the "bonk". It happened to me a while ago but never again after I started drinking Gatorade and taking a peanut jelly sandwich with me. Looking for something more compact. I appreciate all of the good advice!

The most "compact" will be to add cals to your water. Gatorade is fine, or any of the other zillion options out there (just make sure there is calories in it... there are some low cal options now that wouldn't be as effective for you). As for food, granola bars, PayDay candy bars, rice crispy treats, bananas, PB&J sandwiches... or any of the zillion options in the sports bar/gel market are good options. It's really about personal preference at this point.
  • brocantrs
    Options
    I received a box of the Gu salted caramel gels in the mail today. Opened one just to taste it (not bad). Will try on my next ride.
  • brocantrs
    Options
    I've used the Gu salted caramel gel and Skratch hydration drink and can really tell a difference. I'm not totally wasted after a ride now. One more ride and I will be back to where I was 3 years ago when I stopped riding. Also have a "real" road bike so I'm quicker too!