Hair loss

Options
chunt87
chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
So I'm on synthroid and my levels are good and im feeling better but I have noticed that I am still losing more than normal amount of hair when I shower. I am losing weight at a normal rate so I am pleased with that happening. I have very thick curly hair if that helps.. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if there could be just another thing on the laundry list of items that will never be normal again :(

Replies

• skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that my hair loss comes and goes. Recently, with med change, it's happening again. Hope it stops soon. I use nioxin or nutria-ox shampoo which feels good and adds some nice volume. If it goes on too long, I contact my doc because it should settle down. Also, if you were really sick or on antibiotics about six months ago, you will experience hair loss. I thought that was interesting when it happened to me.
  • hbpslo
    hbpslo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Question for you: are you on synthroid proper or a generic? The reason I ask is I lost half my hair while on a generic. After much hunting I finally found in tiny print on the pharmaceutical company's website "a small percent of users report the dermatological side effect of hair loss". I was so mad. I now only take the name brand and the hair loss stopped (that was about 12 years ago). My endo also recommended taking Biotin to help the hair grow back. Good luck!
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My hair loss is above average too. It's very curly & thick also. My Dr wasn't too concerned & my hairdresser said curly hair does come out more than "normal" hair.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I tried the Biotin but it didn't work at all for me-- although I think it helps lots of people. I take Great Lakes collagen (green can) and that is working great for the past few months. Be careful though as it can raise your blood pressure. My mom had to quit taking it for that reason.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    OP: yes, dealing with this now. I just saw dr. Synthroid name brand user, too, asked doc about it. My hair loss is ridiculous, tho I still use Nioxin to keep it on my head. Since my levels are great, even just a smidge on the high side, the only alternative was to lower the dose a tad which would keep my hair on my head. However, that would slow my weight loss. So I chose to leave the synthroid dosage the same & deal with my hair loss by continuing Nioxin.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Since my levels are great, even just a smidge on the high side, the only alternative was to lower the dose a tad which would keep my hair on my head. However, that would slow my weight loss.

I lost the weight long before my levels ever entered the "normal" range. Synthroid reduces my fatigue so I can be more active—but it had no effect on my weight loss.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My hair loss INCREASED ten fold when I went on Synthroid. My doc says it's from low iron/vitamin D and having hashi's, but I'm telling you, it's medicine related. It was not like this before I started. I'm thinking about switching to Tirosint.
  • jclerf
    jclerf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor run an iron panel (including ferretin) for you? I found that having low iron makes my hair fall out like crazy.
  • linux40
    linux40 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sprry to hear about your hairloss. It made me all sad, seeing my hair going every day... I agree with the lady over here, saying it`s medicine related. On levothryoxine I lost a big deal of hair. It all stopped when switching to Armour Thyorid. Try supply with vitamin D and B also, a B complex will also help regrowing faster...Good luck.
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm on naturethroid now for the past 6 months. My hair started growing back and now I'm taking some vitamins too. Now I just want to get my weight under control. I need to lose about 20 pounds for my health
  • Marciajake88
    Marciajake88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Low Zinc causes hair loss.. Also have a whey protein Shake once or twice a week. With all the aminos