Introducing Myself

Options
Strawili
Strawili Posts: 48 Member
Hello everyone! Just recently I discovered the wonderful world of MyFitnessPal. I have been working hard these past few months to lose weight and I decided that a little extra motivation never hurt anyone. I am intrigued by this app/website and I am definitely looking for more friends to join in along the way.

I am the furthest thing away from being fit. I have been obese my whole life, struggling with anxiety and depression, and decided one day that enough was enough. By the stars aligning, I convinced a friend (who is also overweight, although not as much) to join in on my adventure.

I started my journey at my highest point, 311 lbs and today I am celebrating a total of 20 lbs lost so far; bringing me to my current weight, 291.1 lbs. My height is 5'6 therefor my BMI is a whopping 47.

I've discovered the wii fit, and although it might not be the most beneficial of exercises, I push myself each day. I also walk when I can, focusing on big hills and quick strides. Walking has been a huge challenge for me so far, as my self esteem is deplorable. I am hoping that as the pounds are shed I will feel more comfortable working up a sweat instead of feeling like an offensive bowl of jello.

I have been diagnosed with PCOS for about 4 years now, but I knew that something wasn't right with my body since I hit puberty. I have struggled with clinical depression, anxiety, excessive weight, facial hair, and difficulty in losing weight. I have tried Metformin and birth control pills to help but both had made me gain even more weight, and my body certainly did not appreciate it, to say the least. The current medication I am on includes Victoza (used to help lose weight), natural probiotics, Welbutrin (I am 5 days in on them), and Nexium. Some days it feels like a hassle, especially since Victoza is a daily needle, but I have adjusted well with them and overall I feel quite good because of them. :)

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Greetings and salutations. Most of the first three paragraphs I could have written. My heaviest recorded was 319 back in 2010, and today I'm around 240. But I'm 5'4", so my BMI is still 42-43 or something, so I feel you... And let me tell you - any exercise is good exercise! For the most part. I have some girlie complications (POP if you feel like reading), so there is a lot I can't do, and walking is bad for me. My physical therapist said anything in a pool or seated/recumbent biking... Those are the two best things...

Biggest annoyance honestly is that as I lose fat, my skin gets looser and so the remaining fat is lose and floppy... Aside from that, I've had PCOS all my life but didn't get diagnosed until my mid-30's. Insulin resistant, hypothyroid, high blood pressure FROM the BCP (I'm done with kids - I'm 39 next month), and pelvic organ prolapse, among other things.

I can tell you that there is a wealth of information in pretty much all of the threads in this group back this whole year so far, if you've the time to read them. The biggest helps I've done for my conditions are adding Inositol for hormone balancing with my PCOS and other issues (there are other supplements that can help too), but Inositol is also vitamin B8, but most of us don't produce enough of it. The only interaction I've found is with hormonal medication, which you've said you don't take because it doesn't help (which for most of us, it does what it did for you...). The second thing I've done that has helped is switch to a low carb, high fat, moderate protein way of eating. Between the insulin resistance and hypothyroid, my metabolism was JACKED, and I'm leveling out and starting to have slow but steady losses.

Again, welcome, and you'll fit right in here. Hopefully we can help you continue on the health track you're on!
  • megaen84
    megaen84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been on and off tracking apps like this for the past 5 years or so. I, too, have PCOS. About 6 years ago is when I was diagnosed with both pcos and hypothyroidism. I was on metformin at first but that really didn't do anything but regulate me. I wasn't trying to have kids so I switched to birth control. Now I am ready to have kids and just switched back to metformin yesterday, figuring I would give it another shot now that I have a whole bunch more information on dieting, supplements and exercising with PCOS.

Im currently 195, with 215 being my highest. 5'3" tall. I've changed my exercising habits and still feel better and think I look somewhat better than when I weight 180. I'm doing more with weight and strength training so muscle weighs more than fat but also burns more calories.

I'm now taking inositol, d3, k2, prenatal with added calcium and folic acid, chromium picolinate, omega 3 and a flora fiber probiotic.

I'm interested to see how my journey comes at along!
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    20 pounds is nothing to scoff at! Good work so far! I'm far from figuring out how to fully manage my PCOS, but diet has helped me a lot. I've found when I keep my sugar levels very low (I'm sure some experience this with carbs as well), I actually feel less ravenously hungry. A few weeks ago I was on an antibiotic and I ate some yogurts with sugars added to help deal with the aftermath of the antibiotic. I WAS SO HUNGRY! Honestly, it's a wonder I'm not severely obese and I count my lucky stars that I now understand what's going on so I can avoid that.

My convoluted point is that when I got my diet in check, it helped me to manage my hunger as well which I've found to be incredibly helpful.
  • Strawili
    Strawili Posts: 48 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hey everyone! Thank you for the insight and advice, I'm loving the fact that we have an active group to partake in. :) You're all so kind!

I have tried Metformin but it wasn't working well with me. It felt like it was turning me into a diabetic so I stopped taking it. Even after two months I was feeling shaky, anxious, and hungry. To add to my anxiety it made me sweat a lot, mostly in the summer. I could sit in a cool room doing absolutely no physical activity and still sweat enough to swim in (Okay maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit, but that's how it felt!). I believe I gained around 10 lbs during the two months that I was on them.

I'm currently seeing a naturopathic doctor as well as my family doctor, I have seen an endocrinologist but that ended after the second visit where she told me my only hope was to get a tan and invest in laser hair-removal.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I'm currently seeing a naturopathic doctor as well as my family doctor, I have seen an endocrinologist but that ended after the second visit where she told me my only hope was to get a tan and invest in laser hair-removal.

I cannot fathom anyone who claims to be a legitimate health professional giving that "prescription" for treatment. I'm so glad that wasn't my doctor, or I think after I quit laughing my way out of her office that I would have filed every complaint under the sun against her. Just WOW.
  • jaims224
    jaims224 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi, Katherine! I'm Jamie. I just wanted to say welcome! You are definitely in the right place. Congratulations on the weight loss and the obvious motivation. We will be here for you!
  • sccr_chic17
    sccr_chic17 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

My name is Megan. I was told I probably had PCOS at the young age of 14. I went through surgery to remove a ovarian cyst larger than a football from my abdomen. Ever since then I have had weight loss problems and have still had problems getting properly diagnosed with the syndrome. I'm 22 now and would like to lose weight and have a healthy life style for my future. I'm looking for a place that I can discuss how to better my life.
  • victoria863
    victoria863 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi. Im Victoria. diagnosed with pcos years and years ago. Its pretty much ignored by Drs, attitude being well you've had kids whats the problem? big problem! low gi diet and millions of exercise helping me very slowly shift the flab, also feeling more me than in the last 15 years x
  • AwesomizeRoxi
    AwesomizeRoxi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Raquel
    I'm also diagnosed with PCOS years ago
    I've stopped seeing doctors because I don't like taking medication everyday for a long period
    Metformin works for me but i need to stick to it
  • AwesomizeRoxi
    AwesomizeRoxi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi. Im Victoria. diagnosed with pcos years and years ago. Its pretty much ignored by Drs, attitude being well you've had kids whats the problem? big problem! low gi diet and millions of exercise helping me very slowly shift the flab, also feeling more me than in the last 15 years x

From my knowledge..most cases of PCOS can be cured after having the first or second child
    Have you talked with a doctor about it?
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited June 2015
    Options

From my knowledge..most cases of PCOS can be cured after having the first or second child

PCOS is not something I've ever heard of being "cured", as it is an underlying hormonal imbalance that is treatable, but not curable. It results in a myriad of symptoms hit and miss to each sufferer.

Regardless, other than irregular and heavy periods, I never really had many symptoms of my PCOS until AFTER my daughter was born. The pregnancy and birthing process literally destroyed any hormone balancing and/or related progress I had made.

Now, nearly a decade and a half later, formal diagnosis around 5 years ago, formal treatment for the last 18-24 months, I'm starting to feel human in a way not related to any memory I have ever of how I've felt.

PCOS is a very individualized condition, as everyone suffers it differently. There is no one treatment or no one outcome. While that is somewhat demoralizing, it is also empowering, because we can learn to take charge of all of the aspects of our own conditions...
  • jaims224
    jaims224 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Regardless, other than irregular and heavy periods, I never really had many symptoms of my PCOS until AFTER my daughter was born. The pregnancy and birthing process literally destroyed any hormone balancing and/or related progress I had made.

This is my experience too, though it is so individualized. I never had any symptoms before kids. The only honest thing you can do with PCOS is manage the symptoms.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    jaims224 wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

This is my experience too, though it is so individualized. I never had any symptoms before kids. The only honest thing you can do with PCOS is manage the symptoms.

I really think you can treat the underlying imbalances, too. Like if I'm heavy in testosterone, I can balance that out with other hormones. Just treating the symptoms is like putting a bandaid on a wound that needs stitches IMO. So there are underlying things to treat, but no matter what I do, even with diet, supplements, and medication, it is unlikely that I can fully repair whatever is causing the imbalance, but I'm sure it **CAN** be done, but not within my current knowledge base and understanding.... So, if you're only treating symptoms (results), get with a doctor about treating the causes, and that will minimize the symptoms to be treated...
  • Kimmie103073
    Kimmie103073 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone, my name is Kimberleigh and I am glad to see that there are other women trying to loose weight while having PCOS. I Just joined MyFitnessPal. I have been working hard lose weight and I have realized that I could use a little extra motivation. I am looking for more friends to join in along the way. I have been obese my whole life, struggling with multiple health issues, and decided that enough was enough. With my doctor's help, I am going to do what it takes to drop the extra weight I carry. I have the support of my boyfriend but he is all I have so if anyone would like to ADD ME as a friend here I would appreciate the extra moral support.

In the past 10 - 15 years my weight and been in a constant flux varying from 330 lbs (my heaviest) to 250 lbs and back up again. I start MyFitnessPal at 316.2 lbs as of my doctor appointment yesterday however 6 weeks prior I weighed in at 320.0 lbs so I have already dropped 4 lbs. I am 41 yrs old and I stand 5'8" tall. I have High Blood Pressure, Arthritis, PCOS and Fibromyalgia all of which I take medicine to treat. I don't have any children however I want a child so my health has become #1 priority now.

I've found that walking and movement in general is a huge challenge for me because of the Fibro but I have been working hard to do it every day. My doctor keeps telling me that it will get better and I keep hoping he is right because right now even after 6 weeks the pain is very intense and my joints are extremely stiff. I know 3 of my 4 health issues will never go away but I am hoping that with the weight loss they will ease up with the pain.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    You should check out the http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group group. The low carb way of eating can help with all of your underlying conditions. It has helped with my PCOS, insulin resistance, and hypothyroidism. Others have used it to treat their arthritis and fibro... So many helpful things there.... And it makes losing weight possible!!!! (Which, I don't know about you, but I always thought it was impossible, due to my experiences!!) There are even tales of women restoring their fertility...though we know for all of us, that isn't always possible, but the potential for great things is there!
  • key101213
    key101213 Posts: 10 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I to am looking for friends on the journey
  • key101213
    Options
    Hello Everyone, my name is Kimberleigh and I am glad to see that there are other women trying to loose weight while having PCOS. I Just joined MyFitnessPal. I have been working hard lose weight and I have realized that I could use a little extra motivation. I am looking for more friends to join in along the way. I have been obese my whole life, struggling with multiple health issues, and decided that enough was enough. With my doctor's help, I am going to do what it takes to drop the extra weight I carry. I have the support of my boyfriend but he is all I have so if anyone would like to ADD ME as a friend here I would appreciate the extra moral support.

In the past 10 - 15 years my weight and been in a constant flux varying from 330 lbs (my heaviest) to 250 lbs and back up again. I start MyFitnessPal at 316.2 lbs as of my doctor appointment yesterday however 6 weeks prior I weighed in at 320.0 lbs so I have already dropped 4 lbs. I am 41 yrs old and I stand 5'8" tall. I have High Blood Pressure, Arthritis, PCOS and Fibromyalgia all of which I take medicine to treat. I don't have any children however I want a child so my health has become #1 priority now.

I've found that walking and movement in general is a huge challenge for me because of the Fibro but I have been working hard to do it every day. My doctor keeps telling me that it will get better and I keep hoping he is right because right now even after 6 weeks the pain is very intense and my joints are extremely stiff. I know 3 of my 4 health issues will never go away but I am hoping that with the weight loss they will ease up with the pain.

• key101213
    Options
    I am in the same place 33 want to start a family
    Didn't think it was possible to loose the weight but I started a new diet and exercise both intense by my standards from my enderchronologist so far almost16 lbs lost