For those down to the last 10 pounds- questions and tactics

Options
janetteluparia
janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
I've now been down to the last 10 pounds for a year. Stalled out, gained a couple back but really still need to get the 10 pounds off to be in the moderate healthy weight range. I am seriously not setting an in-achievable goal. I have tried every tactic I can think of. Increased exercise, increased calories (my TDEE is pretty low), back to low carb, less alcohol (almost none) etc.....
Has anyone else experienced this long term stall? What have you done to successfully start losing again? I really feel like I did before I started 5:2. Frustrated. Albeit 36 pounds lighter for which I am grateful.

Replies

• Runningnorth
    Runningnorth Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    5:2 is what broke my plateau that lasted a year. I was also injured during this time which didn't allow me to run like I had always done in the past. I run a 26 min 5km 3 to 4 times a week even if it lands on my fast day (generally one run does a week). I think that has really helped push things along. I workout fine on my fast day and it even suppresses my appetite a bit. Maybe add another fast day to give that extra push or high intensity workout. Good luck
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Hi jeanetteluparia :D
    Can you please give your full stats ? And describe in more detail what you already tried. The more info, easier to give advice. If you don't wanna post here, you can pm me your info. Oh, and have you changed anything since you last were able to shift scale weight?

As for me I've "stalled" scale weight but gone down several clothing sizes. So that doesn't count as stall. I ramped up calories and exercise considerably.
  • janetteluparia
    Options
    Stats: starting weight 194 (2013) current weight 161 5'7" 51 years old. Goal weight 143. I was at 151 a year ago and have gained about 10 but added considerable strength training so I truly believe there is some additional weight from muscle. TDEE 1394 2 fast days around 500 calories each. I have looked up my food diary from when I was losing and not much has changed.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    That's a really low tdee for that height and weight. Are you sure? Mine is 1600 before exercise and I'm 46 / 5'1'' / 12 lb! Could really be possible you are not eating enough!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »
    That's a really low tdee for that height and weight. Are you sure? Mine is 1600 before exercise and I'm 46 / 5'1'' / 12 lb! Could really be possible you are not eating enough!

hmmm typo..... 125-127lb....

• Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider is whether you now "know" so many of the cals of foods you eat, that you are no longer weighing everything?

Earlier in this year I started gaining weight and I convinced myself that I was eating "the same" as always.

I couldn't figure out why I was gaining, until I started weighing absolutely everything again... turns out that what I was counting as 30g of nuts, was in fact 60g! Other things were affected in a similar way - although the nuts were the worst example!

All these errors amounted to quite a big jump up in daily calories.

I think "portion size creep" can be a big dilemma for those of us who have been doing this diet thing on and off for some years. ;)
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Stats: starting weight 194 (2013) current weight 161 5'7" 51 years old. Goal weight 143. I was at 151 a year ago and have gained about 10 but added considerable strength training so I truly believe there is some additional weight from muscle. TDEE 1394 2 fast days around 500 calories each. I have looked up my food diary from when I was losing and not much has changed.

Ok, just to make sure the basics are covered. Have you taken measurements, pictures of progress, tried on too tight clothes ?

When so close to goal, progress might not be visible in scales. It's shown in better fitting clothes etc. Just to illustrate. I'm almost same weight as in January, but the undies I bought in size 38 (euro) are falling off. New size is 34.

If you have exhausted all the usual more trivial stuff, have you ruled out any medical conditions that might affect endocrine system? Hormones is what signals to cells what to do, if there's disruptions, bad news. If you're post menopausal, I've heard that's also hard on weight loss.

• janetteluparia
    Options
    No menopausal symptoms yet. Cloths and measurements have remained the same. I am not un-happy about my cloths at all and trying not to be so focused on the scales but the photos don't lie, I have work to do. Becoming complacent is what got me fat to begin with so I want to stay on task. Healthy and getting more fit with strength training. I am starting to think that I just can't eat as much as I think. My classic training in nutrition (degree) still creeps in but the reality is that I am not "normal". LOW calories may be my only option and I want to make sure. Thank you for taking the time to respond!!!! X