Does anybody buy Aldi meat?

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
Just curious about anyone's experience. I shop there for some stuff but the one thing I never buy there is meat. They now advertise that they sell usda choice, and organic beef, can I trust that? Does that mean it's from the US? Is there any way to know where it comes from?

Replies

• indychic75
    indychic75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this for years. I have bought frozen chicken and ground beef patties and I'm still alive. :-) The beef was quite fatty. I will stick with my lean beef from my regular store but the chicken was fine. Their pork chops are good as well. Can't beat the price on produce and canned goods.
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't know where it comes from but I have bought their chicken. I love getting my hwc, butter, fair trade coffee, frozen berries, fresh produce and awesome speciality cheeses from there
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I used to shop there pretty religiously, but I don't anymore. The more I started looking at labels for my various low carb staples I realized there were more carbs when bought from Aldi. For example, the brand of HWC they sell at the Aldi by me has 2g carbs per tablespoon. Now I buy a different brand from Walmart which is 0g. It was also too inconvenient having to go to 2 different stores because I couldn't get everything at Aldi. So now I do all my shopping at Walmart. I pay a little more per month, but it's worth it to me. I did however used to buy meat from there. It wasn't bad. I mostly bought frozen chicken and hamburger patties.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I used to shop there pretty religiously, but I don't anymore. The more I started looking at labels for my various low carb staples I realized there were more carbs when bought from Aldi. For example, the brand of HWC they sell at the Aldi by me has 2g carbs per tablespoon. Now I buy a different brand from Walmart which is 0g. It was also too inconvenient having to go to 2 different stores because I couldn't get everything at Aldi. So now I do all my shopping at Walmart. I pay a little more per month, but it's worth it to me. I did however used to buy meat from there. It wasn't bad. I mostly bought frozen chicken and hamburger patties.

FYI, no heavy cream has a true 0 grams of carbs. Food labeling laws just allow them to round down. The lowest I've found is just 1 gram per TBSP, so about 1.5 for 1 oz...

But yes, I notice that too on things like cream cheese, but almost all brands have caught up there. I have a friend who swears by the frozen chicken breasts, but my walmart carries the fresh/thawed ones for the same price, and they are plump... I bought nuts there I liked and other stuff, but I was not happy with the frozen burger patties I got there. Buying the bulk 10 pound tube roll at walmart is better in flavor (73/27)....

On obscure produce though, they do seem to rock. I stop by when I'm close if I can.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    We buy most of our meat there, and its often the cheap stuff. I'm sure there are lots of good, scientific reasons to buy meat grown and processed a certain way but at the end of the day we're a family of four on a budget. We eat the best meats we can.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    We buy most of our meat there, and its often the cheap stuff. I'm sure there are lots of good, scientific reasons to buy meat grown and processed a certain way but at the end of the day we're a family of four on a budget. We eat the best meats we can.

Same here. I don't find that the meat prices are much better than at the Kroger in my neighborhood, but I will buy meat if I'm already there shopping. Pork chops, pork and turkey tenderloins, round steak, ground beef, and frozen chicken... I think that's all I've tried from there. But I don't pay attention to the organic, grass-fed, certified, this and that, because we are a big family on essentially one income.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »

Same here. I don't find that the meat prices are much better than at the Kroger in my neighborhood, but I will buy meat if I'm already there shopping. Pork chops, pork and turkey tenderloins, round steak, ground beef, and frozen chicken... I think that's all I've tried from there. But I don't pay attention to the organic, grass-fed, certified, this and that, because we are a big family on essentially one income.

The prices on meat at our Aldi's are usually $1-2 cheaper than Kroger or Walmart and their packages are smaller. We do buy the thin pork chops but we also get the ground turkey, the big box of hamburgers, the bags of chicken and fish. The burgers are nice to have on hand when everyone else wants pizza or when I get home and am reminded we have to be somewhere in an hour. The organic, grass-fed, I'm sure is good. But, you're right, its expensive. Plus my husband used to work on farms and always questions the "no-antibiotics" label, and I think "organic" is mostly a bogus marketing ploy.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »

The prices on meat at our Aldi's are usually $1-2 cheaper than Kroger or Walmart and their packages are smaller. We do buy the thin pork chops but we also get the ground turkey, the big box of hamburgers, the bags of chicken and fish. The burgers are nice to have on hand when everyone else wants pizza or when I get home and am reminded we have to be somewhere in an hour. The organic, grass-fed, I'm sure is good. But, you're right, its expensive. Plus my husband used to work on farms and always questions the "no-antibiotics" label, and I think "organic" is mostly a bogus marketing ploy.

I find I can buy in bulk and on sale for the same prices or less than Aldi's with the local store that specializes in good meat sales...I was at Aldi's last night and didn't find anything other than cream cheese and hard cheese that I couldn't get at home for the same price or less - and I didn't know how soon we were heading home and didn't have ice to keep it could, so it was a pass for me...
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    Our meat sales in my area are generally a joke. BOGO means they double the sticker price, so you're still paying the same.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to bring myself to purchase anything except thier frozen seafood. Like scallops/shrimp/swai.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My family will not eat meat or chicken from there-- they insist it "doesn't taste right"- I have found their chicken and pork have added water and just are not as flavorful. Beef has not been real great, either. I am willing to pay a little more for better quality food.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen salmon, tilapia and chicken thighs there. No complaints. I like their produce. Not much else there that is on my list.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I buy my meat at Aldi... I get their chicken thighs (both bone/skin and boneless/skinless), I've bought their skirt steak, top sirloin, chicken breasts, chicken wings. None frozen.
  • sass_hole
    sass_hole Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Aldi had grass fed beef but the packaging says it is from the U.S., Uruguay and New Zealand. Why is my beef coming from three different places? So I skip it. I buy dairy and produce from Aldi. Also coconut oil and spices.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your input. I think I'll keep buying my meat elsewhere. I was thinking it would be convenient since I go there for other things already, plus wegmans can get expensive for meat. There is a place nearby that his amazing prices on produce, deli, butcher, and seafood. But they don't have a regular grocery, I'd like to only have to go to one place for food but I don't see that happening yet
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Thanks all for your input. I think I'll keep buying my meat elsewhere. I was thinking it would be convenient since I go there for other things already, plus wegmans can get expensive for meat. There is a place nearby that his amazing prices on produce, deli, butcher, and seafood. But they don't have a regular grocery, I'd like to only have to go to one place for food but I don't see that happening yet

Remember, too, that some places will price match to ads... But yeah, I tend to hit one place for meat and produce, and Walmart for the rest of things...
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Just curious about anyone's experience. I shop there for some stuff but the one thing I never buy there is meat. They now advertise that they sell usda choice, and organic beef, can I trust that? Does that mean it's from the US? Is there any way to know where it comes from?

Ha, this made me chuckle as last week we ate meat out of the dumpster behind a store (it was frozen and wrapped and just put there). You gotta do what you gotta do. Drives me crazy that stores don't just sell it for a buck when it gets so close to being thrown out. Waste of good food, and illegal in France now.

Am I crazy? Prolly. We all lived tho, and that rump roast was delicious! It was perfectly fine.
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I do! We get most of our meat from Aldi...
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I have bought ground beef from Aldi but usually go elsewhere depending on what's on sale. I think their chicken has additives. I can often find quarters below $.50 lb at other places.

USDA means is passes inspection. Most stores indicate on the package the country of origin.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen salmon, tilapia and chicken thighs from Aldi. No complaints.