New to LCHF and ketosis

Options
nvmomketo
nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
I'm new to LCHF. I started changing my diet a few weeks back because I think the inflammatory nature of sugar has affected my health. I have celiac disease and a couple of other autoimmune diseases, plus in the last year I have gained 20 lbs and developed osteoarthritis in my knees and hips that is galloping forward at an alarming rate. I'm only 41, and coach a few sport teams, so this needs to stop. Since doctors can do nothing for me, I thought I better work on my diet.

I eat too much sugar and love pop. Overall I eat pretty well, but my body can't handle the extra sugars so I dropped them entirely and I am following a ketogenic diet. I'm doing fairly well with it so far, but I think I am eating too much of everything even though my weight is dropping and I appear to be in ketosis. My guess is that my appetite will even out once my body finally settles down and accepts that I'm not giving it sugar anymore.

The first couple of weeks were hard but I am starting to feel a bit better. Happily I've already lost a few of the 40 lbs that need to go... That helps keep me steadier through this induction period. ;)

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    That is exactly right. Essentially, in addition to normal functioning, your body is converting it's "fuel" engine back to factory specs, and so it needs extra calories to do that. After your induction period, that leveling out should happen naturally.

Sounds like you're in the best place. :)
  • _Virgo_
    _Virgo_ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! =)
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Well done on what you have achieved so far! I look forward to seeing your successes as you continue. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. :)
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    That is exactly right. Essentially, in addition to normal functioning, your body is converting it's "fuel" engine back to factory specs, and so it needs extra calories to do that. After your induction period, that leveling out should happen naturally.

Sounds like you're in the best place. :)

Excellent! Thank you. It's always good to hear if you are on the right track. ;)

Thanks for the welcomes!
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Keep doing what you're doing and best of luck!!
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Remember this isn't a diet, it is a lifestyle.
    Don't think that once you are back on track, you can start wandering. Won't work.

Soon, you won't miss any of it. So many great substitutes for "sweet" treats.
    Recipes galore.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place. This forum is full of great info and its a wonderful community for advice & support.

Sounds like you're doing great. I really struggled at the start (still struggling to some degree after about 6 wks keto) so you should be really pleased that you're losing weight and starting to feel good. That's what this is all about! Keep up the hard work and dont be afraid to ask questions - everyone here will help you as much as we can. We're in this together!! ;)))
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    @nvsmimketo... question. I am just getting into the whole LCHFMP lifestyle and trying to eventually get into KETO. I started out by lowering net carbs to 75g a day and go on vacation next week. I've opted since 75g a day was so hard for me to achieve to work on that again this week. Did you jump head first into the whole keto lifestyle or make small changes and get there over time. Just interested in how people are getting there and what is and isn't working for everyone!!

Thanks in advance!
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    @carimiller7391 I have never been able to ease into it. For me its all or nothing! 20gms net carbs or under otherwise the 'cookie craving monster' still holds onto my brain. I know by doing that the cravings will go in a couple of weeks and the hunger get easily controlled. Now 4 months in I dont even want anything as a treat! Just not interested. I find if you keep having a higher amount you cant shake it...others have managed to reduce slowly though....dont know how they have done or if they find themselves slipping back to higher levels or not....they dont say,lol.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. :) It seems like a nice bunch around here!
    @nvsmimketo... question. I am just getting into the whole LCHFMP lifestyle and trying to eventually get into KETO. I started out by lowering net carbs to 75g a day and go on vacation next week. I've opted since 75g a day was so hard for me to achieve to work on that again this week. Did you jump head first into the whole keto lifestyle or make small changes and get there over time. Just interested in how people are getting there and what is and isn't working for everyone!!

Thanks in advance!

I started lowering my carbs, which meant cutting out junk food (pop), in early June. I was probably at 75 to 100g carbs because I was still making smoothies with canteloupe or mangos. This was before I joined MFP and I did not realize how many carbs I was getting. I was also eating small amounts of starches, like 1/4 c mashed potatos, at meals but then I was still very hungry as the day went on.

I then cut carbs hard, keeping it below 50g and trying for 20g, but the induction /withdrawal stage was hard on me. I had migraines for days, was tired and cranky, and then I would eat a comfort food (potato) and my headache would go for a day before it came raging back for another 3 days. Yuck. I'm pretty sure that by eating extra carbs here and there that I made my headache/induction phase last longer.

I am into ketosis again after my last slip, and am determined not to do that all to myself again. Too painful! LOL

I can stay in ketosis with carbs between 20 and 50 g. My daily calories range between 1400 and 2300 depending on hunger, and even on the days of over 2000 calories, I am still losing weight. In the last 10 days (which includes a couple of slips and was partially before I joined MFP) I have lost about 7 lbs. I'm really happy with that since I only want to lose another 35-40lbs. I know my weight loss will slow in the next few weeks but even if I lose just 1 lb a week, I'll be at my goal mid winter.

If you are going on vacation, you might want to avoid induction of early ketosis so you can better enjoy your holiday. I'm sure not everyone has a hard patch to get through, but for me, it would have put a bit of a damper vacation. 75g to 50g might be a good place for you to be while on vacation.

... But I'm new to this too, so I could be way off on this. ;)

Best wishes.
  • MelodySmith511
    MelodySmith511 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I hope people will continue to post on this thread & keep me motivated. I've been eating Keto for approx 5 weeks & it's tough. I love eating low carb, but now that I'm really focusing on my macros 75% fat/20% protein/5% carb, I think I'm experiencing Keto flu. I initially lost 10 lbs the 1st 2 weeks, but the scale & my % body fat haven't budged since then. I'm starting to do cardio several times/week. I've been told it can takes months to become Keto adapted. I hope not. I'm ready to feel better & to see some results! Anyone else experiencing something similar?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I had really nice weight loss in my first few weeks too. I'm guessing some was water weight though. LOL

I don't think I am adapted yet either. I think I'm okay and then the headache comes back or I get insanely thirsty or hungry. I'm looking forward to getting through it too. I'm hoping it will just take a few more weeks... Months? Yikes!

I saw on another post that you are on Synthroid. I too have Hashi's. Is your free T3 and TSH at a good spot? If you are hypo that could slow your weight loss down too.
  • MelodySmith511
    MelodySmith511 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    I had really nice weight loss in my first few weeks too. I'm guessing some was water weight though. LOL

I don't think I am adapted yet either. I think I'm okay and then the headache comes back or I get insanely thirsty or hungry. I'm looking forward to getting through it too. I'm hoping it will just take a few more weeks... Months? Yikes!

I saw on another post that you are on Synthroid. I too have Hashi's. Is your free T3 and TSH at a good spot? If you are hypo that could slow your weight loss down too.

I am going to have new blood work done ASAP. I might need a combo of T3/T4. That might be a reason why I'm not losing.

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Melody, I have been on keto for 2 months today and its been a roller coaster. Some days I feel awesome, other days I feel like crap and want to quit. I've been diligent about watching my mag, potassium and sodium the past few days and I feel 90% better.

When I think I've added enough sodium I add another shake. And every time I add salt, I add a shake of lo salt for the potassium. And when I think I'm going to collapse into a puddle cause I've drank so much, I drink another bottle of water ;) I think I've found my stride!
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I find that eating keto really helps with the symptoms I have from inflammation. I tested negative for celiac but I know from experience that any grains cause me to swell and experience pain throughout my body especially around surgical scars. I do not eat any sugars except those in nut butters and I try to keep those to 1g or less. I too have autoimmune diseases and was recommended by doctors to cut gluten and dairy.

@melody-I hope they test you for reverse T3 as well as free and total T3. Sometimes our bodies convert T4 into reverse T3 which is not used by our bodies for metabolism instead of T3.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I am going to have new blood work done ASAP. I might need a combo of T3/T4. That might be a reason why I'm not losing.

For me, Synthroid didn't do the trick. Once my doctor got my TSH down to just over a 2 he declared I was opyomally treated and that my hypo symptoms were coincidental and caused by something else... Uh huh.

From my own research it seems to me that the TSH should be near a 1, and the free T4 and free T3 should be in the 50-75% range of your lab's normal reference range (I find total T4 and T3 don't as accurately refect what hormones are available for use, but I could be wrong on that. Anyway, when I had a TSH in the teens my FT3 was in the bottom 10% of the normal range, and when I was on Synthroid with a 2.5 TSH, my FT3 was in the bottom 15-20% of the normal range... Not enough of a difference.

I found another doctor who was willing to let me try something with T3, so I started on natural desiccated thyroid and that seems to work for me. My FT3 is at about 60% of the normal range and my TSH is suppressed (because I have enough FT3 in my body so my hypothalamus in not telling my pituitary to make TSH) at about 0.1. My TSH looks wacky but when you take T3 it gets low, and I feel good here.

I would try to get free T3 and free T4, with that TSH. The total T4, total T3, T3 or T4 won't tll you as much (IMO - could be wrong). RT3 is a good one to have too, as toadqueen said. If that is high you may need T3 supplementation.

Good luck. I hope it is all fine. :)
    toadqueen wrote: »
    I find that eating keto really helps with the symptoms I have from inflammation. I tested negative for celiac but I know from experience that any grains cause me to swell and experience pain throughout my body especially around surgical scars. I do not eat any sugars except those in nut butters and I try to keep those to 1g or less. I too have autoimmune diseases and was recommended by doctors to cut gluten and dairy.

That is GREAT to hear! I don't swell but I have inflammation because I have joints that get sore and feel flu-ish for no good reason. I know my knees and hips are inflamed from arthritis too, so if I can lower that (and lose some weight) hopefully I can slow the joint deterioration down. I'm just 41 and feel too young to feel this old. ;) LOL

I do eat some dairy but less than most people. Once I get used to this WOE I may try to cut it out again to see if it helps. I was dairy free for over a year when I discovered I had celiac but I reintroduced some cheese, tzatziki, and icecream about a year ago... and I know I feel better without ice cream. Darn it.

Thanks!