New Member Hello

Options
Marillian
Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
I'm so glad I found this group! I recently turned 57, but there are days that I feel 87. Finding my way back to MFP after a long hiatus. It's really hard to "do it" alone when I have so much weight to get rid of. As I get older, I realize how important it is be strong and healthy. I have a few health issues which affect me every day, causing chronic pain. Pain makes me seek comfort, and my comfort is food.

I am following a higher protein/lower carb lifestyle. After trying almost every diet out there, that is what works for me. I eat as organic and natural as possible. I am a sugar addict, and am trying so hard to break it. I've been overweight since a teenager; lots of yo-you dieting. Time to get rid of this excess weight once and for all.

I live in Central New Jersey, but have wanderlust so I like to travel. Married, and my 4 "babies" all have fur and four paws, and were all rescued. (I am involved in animal rescue and welfare). Besides traveling, I am an organic gardener, do my own home canning and preserving. I enjoy cooking, science and nature, going to museums, art galleries, and the theatre.

Replies

• BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Welcome Marillian - so glad you found us!

We have a large collection of past yo-yo dieters here, so you should feel right at home.

Please tell me more about your choice for going organic. I've probably eaten more produce in the past year than the previous ten combined. Other than knowing that organic costs more and is supposed to be chemical/pesticide free, I don't know much about it. I'm rather skeptical about what the stores label as I've seen 'low carb', 'low fat', 'low sugar', 'gluten free' etc. labels on things that never had any of that. Is it a fad thing or can I trust the labels?

Looking forward to your participation in the group!
    Bill
  • Marillian
    Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome, Bill. I rarely buy organic in stores. I grow my own produce, and I also belong to an organic CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm which does not use chemicals. However, the CSA is seasonal from May through the November. I can or freeze a lot of the vegetables. During the winter months, if I have to buy fruit and vegetables from the store, I always buy organic for the "Dirty Dozen" (which has increased).

Apples
    Strawberries
    Grapes
    Celery
    Peaches
    Spinach
    Sweet bell peppers
    Nectarines
    Cucumbers
    Cherry tomatoes
    Snap peas
    Potatoes
    Also:
    Hot peppers
    Blueberries

In my opinion, it's essential to buy organic. The cost of buying organic far outweighs the cost for medical care due to the toxins and chemicals permitted in our food supply. I view the extra cost as an investment in my health. I understand completely that buying organic is not an option for some. If you are unable to buy organic, then please stock up on white vinegar. Let your fruit and vegetables soak for 10 minutes in a mixture of 1 gallon water and 1 cup white vinegar, then rinse. This will help take some of the pesticides off the food and you won't taste the vinegar. Just washing them in water will not remove them.

WARNING: Vegans/Vegetarians, please stop reading now. (I don't want to offend anyone). Others, please scroll down.

As for meat, I do not buy it in the supermarket. I support a small local farm where the animals are free roaming in pastures. The beef is 100% grass fed, which is much leaner, higher in Omega-3s, and does not contain food dyes that supermarkets use to make the meat more presentable. The pork is raised on organic food scraps.

The cost may be expensive for some, but when you break it down pound for pound, it's actually more economical. For example, I pay $6/lb for ground beef, but also $6/lb for filet mignon. I have a large freezer in my basement, so I buy 1/2 steer and 1/2 hog, so I am really only buying meat once a year, poultry more often.

Again, this is not an option for many. If you are able, buy 100% grass fed/organic meat and poultry.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the thorough response. I buy 8-10 of your dirty dozen weekly. I do live in a small farming community. I already buy my meat from a local source too. I'll do some checking to see if I can find a local organic source for my veggies and fruits.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Marilian, welcome! It is fabulous that you can get the foods that you do. Wish I had farms around to buy from too. I do get organic and free range as much as possible, though you can never really believe the marketing unless you have been to where it is grown.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Pleased to meet ya !
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    That was interesting info on organic. I have to give it some thought. Sadly I cannot get meat directly from a farm. Believe me, I would prefer it.
  • skittlsv2
    skittlsv2 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Glad I saw this and joined. Hello everyone. Looking forward to losing weight together.
  • thistimekc
    thistimekc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, I live in Colorado near Grand Junction. I am 57. I weigh 212 and I am 5'2". My plan is to break the 200 lb barrier by 9/6 my birthday. My long term goal is to weigh and be at maintaince on my 60th. I have a long way to go. With this program and everyones support on line and my home town friends I know I can reach this goal.
    Over the last 4 years my husband divorced me as " I was too fat to f...." was the final blow. Stepson said it would be too confusing for his kids, I lost 2 grandkids I had been with for 9 years since they were 1 yr and 3. Move back to my rental house. Started back to work on 12hr night shift. 2 yrs ago I had a miniscus repair. New mgt came in cut nursing staff in have replacing nurses with Techs to free us for paper work, take call and double our case load. I ended up 1 year ago with a nervous breakdown. I no longer have the spark to be a nurse. I now work for the school district as a significant needs paraprofessional. I can still use my skills and work with people with significant needs. I'm am well now off all the mess that kept me here and upright and just need my thyroxine.
    It's been a long journey to get here. I am on the next journey to be healthy, fit, enjoy this world and the life I am blessed to live.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making the best decision of your life! I too started with a vow to be at goal by 60. I did it and have been holding for three years. You can do this.
  • thistimekc
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Thistimekc, you got shafted right and left but you're still here and before you know it you'll be better than ever. You deserve much better than what you had and you wiki find it.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Dear all,
    Here u will find support, friendship, honest advise.
    When we are down... Someone will pick us up
    When we are up .... We are ready to pick someone else up

Welcome to our group ;)
  • thistimekc
    Options
    Here's to a new day. I'm going out to the garden for a quick squash bug check. So far I'm winning. Back to 2wks of summer school. I have my lunch packed and my step counter on. Ready for a new day. How about you?
  • MHTret
    MHTret Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ... and there you have the reason I don't garden -- "squash bug check" indeed -- ewww!! But I do love squash...

Wanted to say a late "welcome" from a really new member of the group. It's awesome here!!

Good luck at school!!
  • thistimekc
    Options
    School was very busy. I came home with12,000 steps logged. My kids are busy autistic kids they swing from being a joy to a challenge at any given minute. As to the squash bugs....have you ever wanted to do someone in? Picture that person as the squash bug......