gaining weight while eating clean?

Options
MyFullName
MyFullName Posts: 5 Member
I'm in recovery (2+ years) from a vicious eating disorder, and am transitioning from an "eat everything all the time, it doesn't matter what it is" mentality to actually paying attention to what I'm putting in my body. I feel fantastic, both physically and mentally, but I've dropped a few pounds. I'm finding it difficult to bounce back without resorting to the same old processed crap I've used for the last two years. Anyone share a similar struggle? I'm new to this community and would love some feedback/advice.

*and please, I don't need to hear how "lucky" I am to have this problem :)

Replies

• genki90
    genki90 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Nuts and legumes! I love adding beans or lentils to my salads :love: Try finding more caloric dense foods that you enjoy eating and add them to your diet.
    Eating healthy is a big step, congrats on making that decision! Good luck with your recovery :smile:
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Anything nutrient-dense: think healthy fats such as avocados, nuts and seeds, olive oil, coconut oil... Hope this is somewhat helpful.
  • LuanaBean
    LuanaBean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Have fun with salads. Try different food combinations. Dark greens with strawberries, walnuts, other nuts, chopped zucchini, tomato, peppers, radishes, onions, blue berries, quinoa, beans, just about anything. Try different dressings that you can make yourself.
  • MyFullName
    MyFullName Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the feedback, everyone!
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My other half is trying to gain weight atm and is scoffing cans of coconut milk in things (like drinks and curries). It may help :)
  • rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi MyFullName and welcome!
    Do you count calories? It may help you to know what your intake is, then you can increase that to avoid weight loss. I've recently been playing around with my calories to find my maintenance calories.

To increase my calorie intake, I add nuts and more fruit to my steel cut oats, an extra 2 ounces of chicken at lunch or dinner, cheese or beans to my salads.

Best wishes!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk is horrid. Leave it out. Just eat more beans and lentils, more fruit and vegies, more nuts and seeds. Olive oil. Pay attention to your nutrition if you are not eat meat or dairy. I've just started with mostly vegan eating. And i've noticed that bean and lentils recipes are very very good for filling you up. I also have recently started making my own pasta. Pasta is not that bad. Its high in protein if you are not eating meat. But eat everything with lots of vegetables. No need to be shy with the olive oil. I use peanut oil for frying. I will have to take a b12 supplement and probably some calcium as i think its going to be too difficult for me to get enough calcium from my food even though its good. I prefer not to eat processed foods. They are more expensive and less healthy but i am making the concession of drinking some soy milk. I eat tofu but you can't eat that all the time. I don't like tempeh or other pretend meat replacements. I make all sorts of lentil and bean patties.

You can follow my blog if you want to see how I make food. There's a link on my profile page. I have only jsut started but i have been eating whole foods for a long time now.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Horrid? FFS. I seriously give up with some people. If the OP doesn't like it that's up to her. Don't be so negative. It's a good source of nutrition and fat and a basis for a lot of recipes.

My other half uses it daily to keep his weight up during chemo and he struggles to eat and it works.
  • slks320
    slks320 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do share the same struggle of recovering /still struggling with an eating disorder, mine is different however the nutritional need is the same and I went vegan almost a year ago now and filling up on various salads with beans, avocado, nuts, and different dressings is a quick easy way to get the nutrition and extra calories and healthy fats. Good luck and stay well!
  • llbennett74
    llbennett74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've increased my protein. For example breakfast used to be just a bowl of steel cut oats. Now I have an egg with a couple of eggwhites scrambled on the side. It keeps me full all morning. I do greek yogurt for one of my snacks and cottage cheese for another. I've cut back on my added sugar wherever possible and it has not taken long for my cravings for processed foods to diminish.