Summertime berry recipes

Options
Teneko
Teneko Posts: 314 Member
Hey guys,

Was just on Trader Joe's website trying to find some contact info for something when I came across a recipe that looks kinda promising! I was thinking this might be easily adapted to be a little more keto friendly.
With the summertime heat coming to the Northern Hemisphere, I figured I'd share:

http://www.traderjoes.com/Recipes/recipe/242

Berry Yogurt Pops
Serves: 10
Prep Time: 35 Minutes
Cooking Time: 6 Hours

INGREDIENTS

1 large tub (32 oz) TJ's Honey Greek Yogurt
1 (1 lb) container TJ's Premium Extra Sweet Strawberries, rinsed
1 (12 oz) package TJ's Frozen Organic Cultivated Blueberries
1 package TJ's Organic Mint
You will also need 10 wooden craft sticks and 10 small paper cups to use as molds

DIRECTIONS
Slice the tops off 15-20 strawberries and toss into a blender with 1/2 cup of yogurt and 6 mint leaves. Blend. Distribute the "red" strawberry mixture into 10 paper cups about 1/3 of the way high. Place cups on a tray and pop in the freezer. If you want clean and distinct layers, it's best to wait another hour or so until you add the next layer. For faster prep, just leave the cups in the freezer to firm up a bit while you prepare the remaining ingredients. Rinse your blender, then add half the bag of blueberries with 1/2 cup of yogurt. Blend. For more texture, stir in the other half of the bag of blueberries without blending. Remove pops from the freezer and carefully spoon in the "white" second layer, the honey yogurt until each cup is about 2/3 full. Lastly, pour the third "blue" layer, the blueberry mixture over the top of the plain honey yogurt, filling each cup almost to the top. Cover each cup with foil and puncture with a popsicle stick down the center. Stick the pops in the freezer for about six hours. Peel the paper away and enjoy!

FOR A MORE KETO FRIENDLY VERSION
Substitute 1 large 32 oz tub of plain whole milk Fage greek yogurt instead of the honey greek.
Use normal 1 lb fresh or frozen strawberries. No need to go with extra sweet!

I plugged the substitutions into MFP's recipe creator and ended up with the following:
calories 71
Total Fat 3 g
Total Carbohydrate 8 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 4 g

These are a little high in net carbs for me, but I'm sure some of y'all have more relaxed macros and might appreciate this. Maybe I'll try it with some heavy cream subbed in for some of the greek yogurt, and reduce the total berries.

Anybody want to try this and let us know how it turns out for you?
Got any other summertime berry recipes to share?

-T.

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Those look great for a treat. I'd try them out but we aren't quite in berry season yet so they are soo expensive here. Another couple weeks and I'll try them!
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    too much sugar. Give me a raw berry off the vine, a bit o' cream cheese and I am good to go. Moderation .
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I would use equal parts heavy cream and sour cream to replace the yogurt if wanting to go lower carb... But berries are off my table for current times, due to the round of binging that came with the last batches.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of sour cream in "sweets", but I think I might try making this some time with less fruit and more heavy cream.

-T.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Teneko wrote: »
    Not a fan of sour cream in "sweets", but I think I might try making this some time with less fruit and more heavy cream.

-T.

The heavy cream and sour cream together have the same "tang" as plain yogurt. That's the only reason I suggested it.