Medical ketosis

hi everyone
I'm new to ketosis attempts as a way of life. I'm on a medically supervised very low calorie diet to lose weight. It's 600 calories per day base and then 2 optional cups of green veggies per day. Here is my question.. The physician group labels this as a fasting ketosis plan.. But can it be if my average carb intake with the optional calories are 59 carbs a day? It seems like too high to work out on a macronutrients level when you are only taking in 600 calories a day and some change. I do feel better. Less foggy. More energy. No blood sugar ups and downs. And my type two diabetes blood sugars have been awesome. I'm losing about 3 pounds per week. Is it possible I'm in ketosis with that many carbs? Thanks for helping to explain. I want to maximize this time of weight loss and relearn food as a fuel. Thanks
Heather

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    You're going to be in ketosis at that calorie and carb level, for sure. What is your protein goal? What is the timeframe for this?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Your doctors are right -- 59g carbs is highly ketogenic. You start making more ketones at around 200g/d, and the level of ketones increases as carbs decrease.

The reason your body makes ketones is to feed your brain in low-glucose conditions since your brain can't metabolize fat. Running your brain on ketones also has some effect on neurotransmitters, which might partly explain why you feel good and clear.

Thank your doctors next time you see them. :)
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Are you doing Ideal Protein? Sounds like the plan my mother in law is doing.
  • heatherandimran
    heatherandimran Posts: 26 Member
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    You're going to be in ketosis at that calorie and carb level, for sure. What is your protein goal? What is the timeframe for this?

This plan averages 72 grams protein/ 11 grams fat/ 59 grams net carb per day ( only subtracting fiber grams not sugar alcohol). They say to stay on the plan until goal weight is almost achieved and then transition. So I've 40 more pounds to go
  • FIT_Goat
    Do you still have a gallbladder? Do you hope to still have one after this?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    When did you get your MD, Goat? :)

It looks like 11g of fat should be fine. Well, they used 12g in this study, and none of the participants had gallstones at that level.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9665682

Trust your docs -- they seem to know what they're doing.
  • heatherandimran

Lol. I had my gallbladder out years ago. I haven't had any ill effects so far
  • heatherandimran
    wabmester wrote: »

It looks like 11g of fat should be fine. Well, they used 12g in this study, and none of the participants had gallstones at that level.

Thank you everyone for the advice. Figuring out what kind of ketosis to stay on after this period will need some research
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member

Just in case you missed my question ;)
  • FIT_Goat

Lol. I had my gallbladder out years ago. I haven't had any ill effects so far

If you have no gallbladder, then the extremely low fat content will be less of a concern. I know you are under doctor supervision, just make sure you follow their advice with supplements and nutrients.

What are your plans for after you lose the weight?
  • heatherandimran
    wabmester wrote: »

Thank you everyone for the advice. Figuring out what kind of ketosis to stay on after this period will need some research

Just in case you missed my question ;)

Sorry I did miss it. I'm on a program through www.betterMD.net