Saving up calories

Options
tazjosh
tazjosh Posts: 88 Member
hi does it work to save up calories? What I mean is. If I eat say 200 calories less than I burn for 6 days a week then on the 7th day eat 1200 calories extra ( eg a night out ). Will I still have the same result weight wise?

Replies

• tazjosh
    Options
    I mean if I do it every week for a blow out every Friday if I'm good the rest of the time
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Theoretically, it should work over the long run (i.e. several months), but your day-to-day weight will probably fluctuate more. Also, I have trouble logging accurately with normal meals at home. Logging a night out is even worse. I only have a big night out once or twice a year and it pretty much guarantees a temporary weight loss setback even if I've theoretically allowed for the extra calories.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    tazjosh wrote: »
    If I eat say 200 calories less than I burn for 6 days a week then on the 7th day eat 1200 calories extra ( eg a night out ). Will I still have the same result weight wise?

Yes. All that matters is your weekly calorie goal.

It's easier to see in the app. Go to More > Settings > Weekly Nutrition Settings & choose Week Starts: 7 days ago. Then go to yesterday's diary & tap Nutrition at the bottom, slide to Calories at the top, and pull down to Week View.
  • tazjosh
    Options
    Is that net not total?
  • tazjosh
    Options
    I didn't mean so much a night out, but a Friday night take away and drink I can log but will take me over the days ( but I wanted to use the ones I'd saved in the week)
  • tazjosh
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    tazjosh wrote: »
    If I eat say 200 calories less than I burn for 6 days a week then on the 7th day eat 1200 calories extra ( eg a night out ). Will I still have the same result weight wise?

Yes. All that matters is your weekly calorie goal.

It's easier to see in the app. Go to More > Settings > Weekly Nutrition Settings & choose Week Starts: 7 days ago. Then go to yesterday's diary & tap Nutrition at the bottom, slide to Calories at the top, and pull down to Week View.

Is it the net calories not the total calories in that graph?
  • ldhara244
    ldhara244 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    yes it should work for your weight goal loss as long as you don't go over your weekly total I sometimes do it if I know I have a function to go to during the week I will eat a little less so I can still enjoy the special day with something out of my usual menu. sometime it is actually good to have a bigger calorie intake one day a week to trick your body so you don't go into starvation mode.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm going to disagree only because you give specific calorie example of 1200 more than eating goal on that day.

So at best you could have a 1000 calorie deficit, and on that day you'd wipe it out and eat 200 extra calories over - so fat storage for the extra if all the numbers were correct.

At worst you have say a reasonable 250 cal deficit, and that blowout is now almost 1000 over maintenance.
    That's a lot.

There's a difference to a big day wiping out the deficit for that day, and another wiping it out and adding surplus on.
    Because now you are talking about 6 days of deficit that are likely unreasonable for amount to be lost.

I'd suggest keep the deficit reasonable almost all week long, don't drop extra.
    Day before drop 200 from eating goal.
    Day of make a hard cardio workout to use up a bunch of glucose stores. Likely the indulgences will include extra carbs - let them go there first.
    Make meals until the big meal smaller than normal.
    Don't let the day go over maintenance in total - wipe out the deficit sure, but don't add surplus, and with hard cardio workout - you increased your range anyway.
    Day after drop another 200 from eating goal.

That way you may have 2 days with lower than desired calories - but you broke them up with perhaps almost maintenance day.

As mentioned above, a weekly basis will get you more from the inaccuracies in logging, and the attempting to offset it by some not great choices.
    Most seem to discover that doing that weekly doesn't work with long term weight loss success.