Coconut Yogurt?

Options
Has anyone tried making their own yogurt using coconut milk? Even full fat yogurt 1/2 cup seems to spike my BS, but I adore yogurt and would like to make a substitute.

Any suggestions or recipes?

Replies

• DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Tried whipping up coconut cream with berries. Tastes great, but too many calories.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/recipe-jello-fat-bombs-731743

This tastes to me like the custard style yogurt. Worth a try if you like that.
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    We make our own yogurt and I really want to try coconut! Just haven't gotten around to it. Will let you know if we do! I'm thinking it would be great! The benefit of sticking to yogurt is the probiotics.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried making their own yogurt using coconut milk? Even full fat yogurt 1/2 cup seems to spike my BS, but I adore yogurt and would like to make a substitute.

Any suggestions or recipes?

I make my own. I use a can of coconut milk (without guar gum or other stabilizers if you can, or I make my own from coconut flakes). Refridgerate it and pour off the liquid portion of you want thicker yougurt.

Place into a mason jar. Add in some yougurt starter culture (either some plain live-active yogurt from the store, or you can buy yogurt culture at health-food stores. I've used the powder from probiotic capsules in the past, too. Or the last 1/4 cup from the prior yogurt jar). Loosely place the Mason jar lid.

Place in your oven with just the light on, or another warm spot with a consistent temperature. Put a tray underneath in case the yogurt overflows. Let it sit there for 48 hours or so, until it has the tartness you prefer. Then refridgerate it and use.

You can add flavoring if you want, I usually just eat it plain.
  • Cheesy567
    Options
    Or if you prefer website instructions, here's a good one:
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/45263391503/paleo-plans-simple-coconut-milk-yogurt

And for making your own coconut milk from flakes:
    http://wellnessmama.com/2447/homemade-coconut-milk/
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm more interested in what you would call it....

Coconurt? Yoconut?
  • ireadlabelsdammit
    ireadlabelsdammit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've tried so delicious plain coconut milk yogurt and had a toigh time eating it. Is the homemade version better?
  • Cheesy567
    Options
    My version tastes like a plain Greek yogurt, nice and tangy. Makes a good substitute for sour cream for dips (I'm dairy-free for now).

I've never tried the So delicious coconut yogurt so I can't compare, they use too many stabilizers and emulsifiers that I'm sensitive to.
  • ireadlabelsdammit
    ireadlabelsdammit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Cheesy567 I'll give it a try!
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    @Cheesy567 That sounds like an easy enough recipe. I will have to try it on my next day off.