Cheap filling recipes?

Options
FatMomma89
FatMomma89 Posts: 81 Member
I am looking for very low cal and low carb recipes that are cheap and will help me lose weight but help my kids maintain or gain. Help please.

Replies

• sodapop22
    sodapop22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Epic nachos: 1 head lettuce shredded, adequately portioned shredded chicken breast (2-3oz per child depending on nutritional needs and 4oz for you) lightly seasoned with low sodium taco seasoning, and black bean and corn salsa (fresh or homemade), plain low fat Greek yogurt and a small amount of goat cheese and cilantro (you can opt out of putting this on chips or can crumble small amount onto top to make a nacho salad), la flavora tortilla chips.
    Easy Homemade black bean and corn salsa: 1 can low sodium black beans drained and rinsed, one large/ 2 small cans low sodium petite diced tomato, 1/2 cup frozen corn, 1 red bell pepper diced small, and half an onion, cilantro and lime juice, cumin,garlic powder and pepper to taste. Sautee onion and bell then add the rest.
  • sodapop22
    sodapop22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Anything you can make into a salad for yourself and keep regular for the kids, also utilizing a wok for fast cooking veggies with a small amount of oil. Modify CHO choices for you by keeping individual servings stored or frozen.
    ie. You make burgers for kids, cook a morning star burger for yourself and either wrap in a delicious looking leaf of curly lettuce or low carb flat bread, no mayo but use mustard and dill pickle relish.
  • FatMomma89
    FatMomma89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    What is cho?
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have this for lunch just about every day and never grow tired of it:

Mexican Crockpot Soup

Ingredients:
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    2 lbs boneless chicken breasts (I used three)
    1 ½ cups chopped red onion
    2 chopped red bell peppers
    chicken broth (amount depends on how soupy you like it)
    ¼ cup chopped cilantro
    1 Tbsp Cumin
    2 Tbsp chopped chipotle chile in adobo (more or less to taste)
    6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
    2 (28oz) fire roasted tomatoes
    1 (4 oz) chopped green chiles, undrained
    2 zucchini, chopped
    Salt and pepper

Instructions
    Heat a large skillet and brown the chicken in the olive oil.
    Add everything except the cilantro in the crockpot and stir it up
    Cook on low for 4 hours. Shred chicken and zucchini and cook on low for another hour.

• conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    bump
    sounds yummy
  • phiguru
    phiguru Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not low carb, but I have to balance my needs against the needs of a growing boy (bottomless pit) and a spouse who needs to eat 50% more calories than I do (minimum) and a ton more protein. The easiest thing I've found, is I will drastically reduce or drop something from the dinner menu for my own plate. If we are having spaghetti with meat sauce with a salad, I can put the meat sauce on my salad (similar to a chili salad). In the winter, I might have some sweet potato with green beans and skip the accompanying meat. However, since this is Recipe Exchange, I offer:
    Three meal chicken (get a big chicken if you have 3 hungry people
    Meal 1: Simple Roast Chicken with seasonal vegetables
    Meal 2: BBQ chicken sliders: cooked chicken, bbq sauce, lettuce or bread (Eastern Carolina sauce ingredients: 1 gallon cider vinegar, 1 1/3 cup crushed red pepper, 2 tablespoons black pepper, 1/4 cup salt)
    Meal 3: Take that carcass and simmer it overnight in the crock pot for stock, use the stock (and any meat bits you may have missed) to make a soup. I like making egg drop soup since it is a different flavor entirely but you might want to make something more hearty or using vegetables on hand. http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/egg-drop-soup/
  • matfatcowboy
    matfatcowboy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey there fat momma I'm with you, I have 3 growing girls but need to be a shrinking me. The best bet on a budget so far for me is Learn to use the cap out of your crock pot. It allows you to buy cheaper cuts of meat (roast anyone?) Because you are cooking it low and slow. Pintrest is full of great low calorie recipes just Google healthy crock pot recipes and surf the wave of goodness that comes at you. I like to prep it all on Sunday and bag it, the I can just pup the bag in when I leave for work in the morning. Frozen veg, cheaper meats, is Friendly on the budget. The hardest part is limiting myself to the correct portion.