Question on Protein Drinks

Options
Cronniss
Cronniss Posts: 108 Member
SoI'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to work maintain my weight as opposed to lose my weight. One thing I need to do, tho, is introduce not only a few more calories but also more protein. I was thinking an easy way to do that might be some Protein Drinks, but I don't know anything about them. I've only heard of a couple of names, like Muscle Milk.

Are there certain brands or types of Protein Drinks that are better suited for Gastric Sleeve patients than others?

89019335.png
(Quote from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams.)

Replies

• cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'd check those described as meal replacements as they might have high amounts of sugar. Look for protein shakes with less than 6 g sugar per serving. I like Pure Protien because it come pre-packaged in individual containers and you can buy it in bulk at Costco and some other big box stores. I also used powdered shakes from bariatric advatage, and Jay Robb.
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have used basically two types of protein drinks/powders. The one I use daily is the Premier Protein shakes (3 flavors-chocolate, strawberry and vanilla). I like them all when chilled to VERY cold. 30 g of protein and 5g of sugar. 160 cals. I buy them at Walmart in 4 packs or at Sams in cases. They are premade but powder is also available. I just haven't tried them.
    I also have tried the Unjury brands and especially like the chicken soup flavor powders. I like this because I can get protein without the sweet flavor of the shakes. I can drink the chicken broth (creamy unlike other chicken broth or boullion).
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I use unflavored Syntrax nectar protein powder in Pacific Foods Organic Bone Broth to get a big boost of protein with great flavor and lower calories.

Bariatric Advantage has a high protein meal replacement that have a full complement of vitamins and minerals. I don't love them, but I mix the latte, chocolate, or vanilla with coffee and it really cuts the sweet.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I like Pure Protien because it come pre-packaged in individual containers and you can buy it in bulk at Costco and some other big box stores.
    The one I use daily is the Premier Protein shakes (3 flavors-chocolate, strawberry and vanilla). I like them all when chilled to VERY cold. 30 g of protein and 5g of sugar. 160 cals. I buy them at Walmart in 4 packs or at Sams in cases. They are premade but powder is also available.

I agree with both (except for Jill's strawberry one) that Premier Protien shakes are a good choice and a great price at Sam's

• Cronniss
    Cronniss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't have a Sam's club near me (I live in "The Valley" in California), but I do have a Costco. (And, of corse, a Walmart - they're everywhere.) When I go in, I'll have to take a look.

I also have GNC & Vitamin World, but GNC always seems overpriced. Vitamin World seems to have better prices than GNC, but they tend to be high than regular stores. But then VW also carries stuff that regular stores don't.

So I'll take the info you've given me so far and look from there. (I like the idea of Unjury for when I have soups & stews.)

Thanks!
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I only like Sytrax protein. I like the chocolate truffle, Caribbean cooler (tastes like a pina colada), Crystal Sky (citrus), Twisted Cherry, Peanut Butter Cookie and Strawberry. I get mine from either BJ's Bariatrics or Amazon on line.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Also you could try Qwest protein bars as those are really tasty and they also make a protein chip that's good. I prefer Sea Salt chips but they have salt and vinegar, BBQ and sour cream and cheddar.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend a protein isolate which is absorbed better. I love Syntrax nectar. I mix the cappuccino in with my black iced coffee daily.
  • mskimpel
    mskimpel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use and like of Atkins 11 oz meal shakes 15g protein , 2g net carbs , 160 calories and 1g sugar purchased at Walmart .
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Premier Protein and Unjury.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm still pre-op, and have been a fan of GNC Lean Shake series. They have a 25g protein series and a 30. The big difference is that the 30 "Lean Shake Burn" is 100% Isolate, which is easiest for the bariatric stomach to process. The "25" is a blend, which is ok, but not as good in terms of absorption. the flavors are mostly great, and they are filling.
    I also really enjoy their "100% Soy Isolate" powders. The chocolate is really good, especially with a shot of Aeropressed coffee. Also , it's non-dairy, which I've heard can be an issue post-op.

Word of warning. Isopure Zero Vanilla is foul. 0/10, would not buy again.
  • brookelayne
    brookelayne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    Word of warning. Isopure Zero Vanilla is foul. 0/10, would not buy again.

Interesting. I just tried that yesterday and liked it. Of course, I made it taste like peanut brittle with peanut powder (PB2) and sugar-free salted caramel syrup, so maybe I won't like it by itself. I rarely drink the powders without doctoring them up somehow.

Isopure has a new toasted coconut that is fantastic in just water. It tastes very tropical.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Was it the zero carb, zero sugar kind? Their regular vanilla is drinkable. This stuff was salty sour milk. :weary:
  • brookelayne
    brookelayne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    Was it the zero carb, zero sugar kind? Their regular vanilla is drinkable. This stuff was salty sour milk. :weary:
    Yes, the zero ones. But I bet my experience was improved because of my additives. ;)
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I like the blue raspberry Isopure drink. I also get Body Fortress power at Walmart and it's very good with ice, skim milk and some fresh berries blended in my Ninja. Good luck
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Cellucor and Quest protein powders. Most powders I mix with soy milk or almond milk, but Quest powders are rich enough that you don't need to, but if you want to add a few calories the milk helps.
  • rnin02
    rnin02 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The "Oh Yeah" cookies and cream shake is really good. I don't like the other flavors, but that flavor is good. I like mixing the bariatric advantage chocolate powder and banana powder with some peanut butter powder, it tastes as good as a milkshake to me.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I really struggle with any of the flavored protein powders, but am loving the Musclegen unflavored protein powder. 30g of protein per tablespoon and it dissolves far and away better than any other protein powder I've tried yet. I add it to my morning coffee with a bit of SF creamer and barely detect it at all. Amazon has it the cheapest I've found.