Loose skin, vericose veins and spider veins, oh my!

Options
Hi folks,

Is there any hope for dealing with these issues, outside of cosmetic procedures? Is there any light of hope from the low-carb experts? Any exercise advice for prevention?

Don't get me wrong, if these are the costs of getting older and I get to live at a healthy weight in a body free from major pain and problems, it's well worth the price. Just wondering if my bikini days are completely over. I did have 3 kids, and I assume some of this is just part of the deal of enjoying these little people.

Thanks!

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    No idea, so I googled. Interesting article here:
    http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm

Basically he says the issue is muscle loss. Don't know if he's right, but I've heard others say that gaining muscle helped.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    There are products on market for scarring that work on spider veins, my mum told me. Mine are way more noticeable now too. Don't know any brand names tho.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    To a point muscle can replace fat volume but losing over 100 lbs of fat would not be something muscle can replace

I have some bad veins from a military thing. They have to be removed. And they can get worse if I do nothing

• mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link @wabmester! Makes sense that preserving lean body mass would help prevent sagging skin. Also, he makes a good point about being careful not to over-restrict calories.

@Sk8Kate, my spider veins (why aren't they called spider capillaries?) are worse since starting LCHF. I wonder whether it's because:

A. I've been exercising, putting pressure on those areas,
    B. burning off fat has revealed previously hidden ones, or
    C. my legs are shrinking, and what's left is LBM and the dreaded spider and varicose veins

Or maybe it's just hereditary, and I'm getting older.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I find mine get really noticeable after exercising & they're not disappearing the way they used to when I was younger. Being very fair skinned I've had them since I was a teenager. (I started waitressing when I was 16 & started noticing them then).
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I had a few spider veins on my outer calf. I covered them up with a great tattoo. :)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    B. burning off fat has revealed previously hidden ones

Thanks for making it easier by giving us a multiple-choice quiz. :)

My veins are more prominent on my arms these days, and I assume it's due to less subcutaneous fat.

• Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have to remember to watch my vitamin C intake. Increased vitamin C apparently helps with bruising.
    I've let it slip and I'm noticing a LOT of bruising. And veins.

With regards to loose skin, I've been working out with weights and trying to build muscles. I played around with my batwings the other day and tried to imagine them filled out with muscle. It was terrifying. I'd have to have these ridiculous "no leg day EVAR" arms to fill out all that loose stuff!

-T.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    My damaged veins from a big chunk of metal going in my leg have gotten more prominent with weight loss.

It is going to cost $$$ but it will be part of going forward.

It is aggravating though. I admit frustration. But it is good to be getting lean.

• Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've lost 130 pounds and look terrible naked. My stomach "flap" hangs, I have the boobs of an 80yr old, I have sagging skin on my arms and legs. I don't care. I look fine in clothes. I'm not interested in surgery.
  • jeannehamby9
    jeannehamby9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sometimes deep tissue massage helps with toning your skin and getting rid of some cellulie
  • jeannehamby9
    jeannehamby9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    sorry cellulite