Acid in food and Acetone

Options
For two weeks I have been tasting and smelling acetone. My breath does not smell like it, but if there is acid in a food or drink it is disgusting. I went around tasting things and the more acid in the item the worst the taste, a coke was like drinking nail polish remover and bugspray. Is there any reason I should not be freaking out? I have been doing a Nutritional Ketogenic diet for now for just over 80 days. Early on I had the metallic taste for a week, and knew what that was. This is a whole other ballgame.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I find that my body prefers more alkaline flavors, and salting most everything helps with that. Aside from that, I really don't know, unless your body just hit optimum keto zone or something.

P.S. Why were your drinking coke at all anyway?
  • DisappearingTwinkie
    DisappearingTwinkie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There was one in the fridge and I was tasting various acidic foods and and drinks. I had a sip I spit out. Depending on the acidity of the food or drink, it seems to correlate with how harsh the taste and smell is. I can smell it in products as well. Things with citric acid are horrible.

I have upped my water intake to hopefully help my body rid excess ketones.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    There was one in the fridge and I was tasting various acidic foods and and drinks. I had a sip I spit out. Depending on the acidity of the food or drink, it seems to correlate with how harsh the taste and smell is. I can smell it in products as well. Things with citric acid are horrible.

I have upped my water intake to hopefully help my body rid excess ketones.

Try salting things. Water is actually acidic when tested, and it can be made more alkaline by adding salt. (It's a GERD treatment thing)...

Your body may be becoming naturally more alkaline. And depending on how long your body took to fully fat adapt, this could be part of the FULL ON TRANSITION...

Are you diabetic? Do you have an endocrinologist for anything? I would consider contacting one, just to ask, and honestly, I don't know much of anything about the condition, but diabetic ketoacidosis can be very bad for Type 1's, and I don't know if it plays out like this, but honestly...I just don't know.

My taste buds in general (nasal less so due to allergies) became far more sensitive and prefer way different flavors now in the almost 6 months I've been low carb. Maybe your whole body is becoming more aware of chemicals in foods? Do you use only whole foods? Or processed stuff???

P.S. Sorry about the coke question, and wasn't trying to be witchy, was just generally curious.
  • DisappearingTwinkie
    Options
    It was a valid question! Thank you for the response. I have PCOS, no diabetes or insuline issues though, all hormonal. I have been eating more whole foods. There have been the occasional processed foods like deli turkey, the occasional Isopure Zero shake or Atkins meal bar for breakfast. I will be monitoring and journaling things. If anything changes for the worse I will see my doctor before my annual.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. smelling Acetone in your breath is a GOOD thing. You should be happy! You don't have to spend $150 to get a meter. That means your in ketosis. There are two reliable ways to test to see if you are in ketosis, by breath analysis and by a ketone blood meter. The breath analysis measures the amount of acetone in your breath. There is a direct correlation of acetone and ketones. Higher acetone = higher ketones.

If you go to the Ketonix website (the breath analyser), they explain it. The article below is comparing the use of a blood testing meter versus the breath analysing meter and the relationship between the two measurements. Its hard to read (scientific) but I copied it:
    COMPARING AGAINST BETA-HYDROXYBUTYRATE IN BLOOD

Ketonix measures the acetone in breath. It is not the same as the beta-hydroxybutyrate in blood. Almost all users of Ketonix are in some way compairing these values and find how they relate. There are not a simple relationship that can be applied for the values, except in certain controlled conditions. There is definitely a big difference between how these values relate in a person not ketoadapted and one that is.

The relationship between acetone concentration and beta-hydroxybutyrate concentration is not always following each other.
    Beta-hydroxybutyrate stays in blood if it is not used as energy. Acetone (which Ketonix indicates) is processed in the liver and expelled in the breath, e.g the concentration decreases over time. The beta-hydroxybutyrate level can be rapidly decreased by ingesting sugar, the acetone level will not react as quick. Example, eating a high protein meal can produce a result of low beta-hydroxybutyrate while still having acetone. If body has enough energy reserve (high beta-hydroxybutyrate) and is in rest (no energy or food ingestion) it has no need to produce more ketones and the ketogenesis process is low. In this situation the acetone concentration can be low and the beta-hydroxybutyrate be high. When beta-hydroxybutyrate is used as energy it does that via the hydroxybutyrate-hydrogenase (turns into acetoacetate) and acetone is released. In this situation the beta-hydroxybutyrate concentration decrease and the acetone increase. One of the situations where there is a relationship between the both ketones is for example when doing a fasting protocol without exercise. This protocol seems to be used in most studies as it is "simple" to do, unfortunately it is not how most of us live.

A way to have high beta-hydroxybutyrate levels in your blood is to not get out of ketosis. This can be achieved by using the Ketonix device and monitor your ketone production. A way to manage your ketone levels could be: during the week, use Ketonix to adjust exercise and food composition to keep yourself in ketosis. And measure your beta-hydroxybutyrate at the weekend. Ketonix indicates your ketosis, beta-hydroxybutyrate tests says how much ketone reserve you have and that depends on your energy consumption and insulin. It is simply easier to know that you are in ketosis than looking at the reserve. Keep the production of ketones up and you will build up your reserve to!
    source: https://www.ketonix.com/index.php/support-3

So, you may have to mask it by doing what others have said, but unless you go OFF of the ketogenic diet, expect it.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

P.S. The test strips that a person uses that you pee on ~ are worthless and unreliable.
  • DisappearingTwinkie
    Options
    Dan thank you. for the read.
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Try salting things. Water is actually acidic when tested, and it can be made more alkaline by adding salt. (It's a GERD treatment thing)...
    Well... not exactly. It depends on the type of salt you are talking about. If you're talking about table salt, then no. Table salt is neutral (composed of the anion of a strong acid and the cation of a strong base). On the other hand, an alkali salt, such as sodium bicarbonate (aka baking soda) will raise the alkalinity of water and is an effective temporary treatment for GERD.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    SteveKroll wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Well... not exactly. It depends on the type of salt you are talking about. If you're talking about table salt, then no. Table salt is neutral (composed of the anion of a strong acid and the cation of a strong base). On the other hand, an alkali salt, such as sodium bicarbonate (aka baking soda) will raise the alkalinity of water and is an effective temporary treatment for GERD.

This was not meant as a TREATMENT for GERD, but rather to make water a factor that does not aggravate the GERD. It does not need to be baking soda. I've changed the alkalinity with Pink Himalayan salt and a few others. Most water is acidic, and most people don't know that in general. It was just for informational purposes. You can also purchase water made alkaline in some stores. I've heard of it being advertised and sold, but I don't know brands. And the water won't taste salty - if it does, that's too much salt.
  • SteveKroll
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I own several pH meters. I would be happy to test a glass of salt water, if you don't believe me. ;)

Look, I appreciate that you are trying to be helpful. But when you tell people that salting your food makes it more alkaline, that's simply not true (unless that salt contains other trace elements that act as a buffer, such as calcium or magnesium). And, I'm sorry, but you did use the phrase "GERD treatment."

Water by its very nature is not acidic. It's neutral. Things dissolved IN water (chlorine for example) can tip the pH toward the acidic end of the scale. But the opposite is also true. Having water with a high calcium content will make it more alkaline.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I apologize, @SteveKroll. I really should not rush my posts (weekend, weird limited access) and morning (brain refusing to function properly today). I can see the points you are making, and I sometimes forget that people have access to decent drinking water and things in different areas. Our water in the town I live in is barely drinkable at the best of times (high chlorine among other things to kill algae and a bunch of old rusty pipe issues and all manner of MESS), and I am speaking to the things that helped with my daughter's GERD, and my limited research into this.

Personally, I've only salted water for electrolyte reasons, and not for attempting to PH balance water, but I'd read that in multiple places. I've also heard that using baking soda is hit or miss for GERD patients, depending on the source/triggers of their conditions. Have you also found that to be true?

Water is so different everywhere... To me it is utterly crazy. Do you suffer from GERD or related issues? Have you found any benefit to this? I personally have *female* imbalance issues related to acidity in my system, and am wondering about this across the board. Interested to hear anything you have to offer.
  • SteveKroll
    Options
    I had bad GERD for several years and at first did the baking soda trick before bed every night. It wasn't always effective, though. As it got progressively worse, the only treatment I used that was 100% effective was Omeprazole (a PPI - I was on the strongest dose) but that has its own risks and didn't address the root cause.

Amazingly, the only thing that completely cured my GERD was this diet. A month after starting on keto, the reflux was completely gone, and I haven't taken a pill in over 8 months now.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I had bad GERD for several years and at first did the baking soda trick before bed every night. It wasn't always effective, though. As it got progressively worse, the only treatment I used that was 100% effective was Omeprazole (a PPI - I was on the strongest dose) but that has its own risks and didn't address the root cause.

Amazingly, the only thing that completely cured my GERD was this diet. A month after starting on keto, the reflux was completely gone, and I haven't taken a pill in over 8 months now.

WOW! That is awesome Steve....

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / Sedentary
  • shrinkinmama27
    shrinkinmama27 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

My boyfriend is on Omeprazole, and a dose of 40mg I think. I'm transitioning myself to Keto for weightloss reasons, but could you give me some info on how you did it for GERD? I'd LOVE to help him get off of his meds!

• SteveKroll
    Options
    My boyfriend is on Omeprazole, and a dose of 40mg I think. I'm transitioning myself to Keto for weightloss reasons, but could you give me some info on how you did it for GERD? I'd LOVE to help him get off of his meds!
    40mg is what I took for about 2 years (I found out later that they aren't supposed to prescribe that high of dosage for more than a few months). Simply cutting way back on the calories and carbs is all I did. Honestly, it was that simple.

Shortly after I went keto, my Omeprazole prescription ran out. Since I hadn't had any flare-ups, I decided to try going cold turkey. With all the fat I was consuming I thought for sure the GERD would come back to bite me with a vengeance. Guess what? Nothing. It was just gone. Prior to that, I had never been able to go a day without taking my pill.

To this day, I haven't had a single GERD attack since being on a ketogenic diet.