July 2015 Challenge ~~ Jul 6th - Jul 12th

Options
cpanus
cpanus Posts: 19,419 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
KETTLEBELLSKETTLEBELLSKETTLEBELLS!!

Start by picking up the weight of your choice—Aim for 2 sets of 12 to 15 reps with good form.

1. Russian Kettlebell Swing

How to: To do the perfect kettlebell swing, stand up straight, with feet a bit wider than hip-distance apart. Grab the handle with both hands, keeping the palms face down and arms in front of the body. Maintain a slight bend to the knee and drive the hips back, lowering the body—but not too low (this isn't a squat!). Then, in a fluid motion, explosively drive the hips forward while swinging the kettlebell, keeping the glutes and core engaged. Remember: The motion should come from the hips, not the arms, as the body returns to standing. Lower the weight back down between the legs and keep this swinging motion going for 12 to 15 reps.

2. Single-Arm Kettlebell Swing

How to: This movement is just like the two-handed swing, but uses one hand at a time. Swing the kettlebell up with one arm, but still swing the other arm to help drive momentum. Alternate hands when the kettlebell is behind the legs; aim for 10 to 12 reps with each arm.

3. Two-Arm Kettlebell Row

How to: Grab two kettlebells for this one. (Double the pleasure, double the fun, right?) Place them in front of the feet and bend the knees slightly. Next, bend over to grab both kettlebells and pull them towards the stomach, keeping the elbows close to the body and the back straight. Lower the weights, repeat for 12 to 15 reps max, feel like a champ.

4. Kettlebell Figure-8

How to: Start with legs a bit wider than hip-width distance apart, and lower yourself into a quarter-squat position. (Keep that back straight and chest up!) Grab the kettlebell with the left hand and swing it around the outside of the left leg and then back between the legs. Next, pass the kettlebell to the right hand and swing it around the outside of the right leg. Keep this motion going, similar to the classic basketball drill! Can you do a minute straight? (Be sure to switch directions half-way through!)

5. Kettlebell Goblet Squat

How to: What’s a squat without a kettlebell in hand? Stand up straight, holding the kettlebell in front of the chest with both hands, keeping the elbows close to the body. Start squatting by driving the heels into the ground and pushing the hips back until the thighs are parallel to the ground or just below. Return to standing, and repeat for 12 to 15 reps.

Hope you like these!!

Let me know what you think.

Chris

Replies

• KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,267 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells...yeah!!! I will complete this challenge...something different is always motivating and I need motivation! Thanks Chris.
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,893 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The figure 8 is often dangerous! :wink: I am still working on doing the JM 30 Day Shred. I hate her I tell you! B)

And Chris it was good of the author to surprise you! B)

Shelley
  • lcarls71
    lcarls71 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Finished one set and added the skull crushers with it. Hubby and I got our walk in after the rain so my steps are at 17k for the day. Now to do some legs and rest.

Lynnette
  • KAR1959
    Options
    Finished one set...working on good form. It's been a minute since I worked with kettle bells.

Shelley - happy you found Cooper and hope he's doing well.
  • cpanus
    Options
    We walked this morning and that was all I could muster. This is our last night with Bean. The kids come home tomorrow. We will still get to walk with him in the morning but now I'll have to go pick him up instead of waking him up!

I managed 6.27 miles and 13,695 steps so far.

See you all tomorrow.

Chris
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Chris that was perfect. Pick him up instead of wake him up. Love it.

Kathy glad you are working with the kettle bells. They are awesome. Cooper is doing better. I have to get his adrenal gland meds working again. Really takes alot out of the little guy running for all those hours. But we are expecting a full recovery.

Lynette I love skull crushers. They are better than burpees!

Had the morning off. Did the 30 day shred. Walked the boys, carried Cooper most of the way. Did some laundry and had peanut butter toast for breakfast. Zumba tonight. It has been a great morning. Even took a nap while the clothes were washing. o:):sleeping:

Shelley

• claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    My brother passed away suddenly. On my way to New Orleans. Funeral on Friday. So sad.
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Clara I am very sorry for you and your family. Take care and as much time as you need.

Hugs,
    Shelley
  • cpanus
    Options
    Oh, Clara, I'm so sorry. Please take care.

Chris
  • cpanus
    Options
    We walked this morning. The kids got home early afternoon. I was so glad to see them. We are giving Bean the day off tomorrow so he can stay home with his mom. We'll sleep in!!!

6.77 miles...14,794 steps

I hope everyone is doing okay.

Chris
  • KAR1959
    Options
    Clara so very sorry for your loss...prayers for you and your family.

Tennis practice for 90 minutes yesterday evening. Have match on Sunday.

Have a great Wednesday everyone.

Kathy
  • cpanus
    Options
    TOTAL REST DAY!! Our 32nd Anniversary. We hung out w/DDD for a bit.

TTYT

Chris
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,700 Member
    Options
    Clara, I'm so sorry. ((hugs)) :cry:

Paula
  • KAR1959
    Options
    I took a 60 minute lesson from a new coach at the tennis center. Interesting...the first lesson from a woman. Yes it was a little different...we just think and explain things. She was really good and I scheduled another lesson for next week. Practice with the team tonight.

Chris - happy anniversary!
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Oh yes Chris Happy Anniversary! Mine is the 15th. I will take a rest day also. :sunglasses: Glad the kids are back.

Paula how is that knee coming along? Are you thinking of doing the other?

Kathy they had a special day at the range for just the women when I was at the academy. We do think differently! I just wish that someone would have pointed out that a low rise holster was the way to go. :drinker: Would have saved me some trouble.

Zumba tonight! :smile: I did get my 30 minute shred in last night. Then went to buy more plumbing for the tank. We figured there would be lots of changes at first. Kind of like doing your own sprinkler system while the wife keeps adding and moving gardens! Oh, that was me! :laugh:

Shelley
  • cpanus
    Options
    Thanks, Shelley! Good going on the workouts. ...and garden moving!

We walked early this morning with the pup then I hit the gym w/DDD this evening. It was a good day!

Hope everyone is doing okay.

Chris
  • KAR1959
    Options
    Tennis practice tonight - 90 minutes. Match on Sunday...I'm going to rest Friday and Saturday...stay away from the courts. Will probably walk and complete the challenges.

Ron's birthday is August 1st and I've reserved a condo for the weekend in Destin, Fl. We both loved the beach in Mexico in May for my birthday so I decided I wanted to do something special for him. He was surprised when I sent him a link with pictures of the condo. It will be a nice 5-6 hour drive. Arrive on Friday and return on Monday. Can't wait :)

Goodnight!

Kathy
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,700 Member
    Options
    Chris, Thinking of you. :flowerforyou:

Kathy, Your trip sounds so sweet and romantic and blissful. Ron is a lucky man.

Shelley, Sounds like you're getting some serious workouts. I have this visual of you jumping and sweating and pumping and grimacing and grunting...

I myself have no workouts to report. Last week's last PT was anticlimactic... everything is so close to normal. It was like "why am I here?" Felt like the right time to leave. I rushed thru the workout and was a little too sore the next day. But now exercise needs to be back in my normal routine.

Best wishes to you all,
    Paula

• zumbaforever
    Options
    Shelley, Sounds like you're getting some serious workouts. I have this visual of you jumping and sweating and pumping and grimacing and grunting...

Best wishes to you all,
    Paula

[/quote]

Paula that is exactly what I am doing. :blush: Now get back to your workouts! :smiley:

Kathy I am so envious. You have a great time. Wish I could stow away with you.

Chris you keep walking that lucky dog and have a great workout with DDD. :smiley:

I am off this next week. Going to pour some concrete. So first I must get rid of some grass. But at least my concrete table will have a place again. Then I must replant a large climbing plant. The name is out running me. :wink: I am only digging it up to get rid of a really invasive weed growing at its base. Hope I do not put it into shock. I so wish I was going to be having as much fun as Kathy and Ron. :blush:

Back to work for me.

Shelley

• cpanus
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Paula, I'm glad you're back with us! Just modify where you have to...I'm always modifying...laying on my back...full body on workout pad, head on squishy ball...you know, that kind of modifying... :p

Shelley, it sounds like your week off is pretty full of work and fun.

Kathy, I hope you and Ron have a great weekend!

Walked w/DH and Bean this morning. Bean was having so much fun!! The workout last night was great. Our trainer is terrific. She's on vacation the next two weeks, so DDD and I have to make it to the gym on our own both weeks. It'll be fine. We can do this...however, DH has hip surgery this coming Tuesday, so we'll have to see how things play out.

I have 6.79 miles and 14,787 steps today.

I hope you are all doing well and happy!! :)

Chris