It's complicated - extremely high A1C

Options
blueimp
blueimp Posts: 230 Member
I lost my job and my insurance in March. I finally got Medicade in June.
I had Jardiance (Metformin didn't work for me) through mid-June, but it isn't covered by Medicade. I have an appointment with my doctor on July 17 to discuss what meds are available on Medicade and what would be best to switch to. In preparation for that, I had labs done a week ago. The results came in today: FBG 178 (I've never seen in that high, even before meds) and A1C is 7.5 which just freaks me out. Even being very careful of sugars and carbs, my FBGs are still high 130s to 150s (and they were never down to +/- 90, even on meds).
Do you think I should try to move my appointment up (it's two weeks away, so I don't know if they can move me up during the summer); or if I stay careful, is it okay to wait?

Replies

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your heath insurance situation. I can't remember whether or not you test your own blood glucose. If not, then this is something which you can consider. It would enable you to identify and eliminate problem foods. A number of people in the States have reported good results with blood meters they got from Walmart. Unless you are having particular problems, waiting two weeks shouldn't cause you undue problems. I hope you get some help soon.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    For all the terrible complications that can arise from diabetes it isn't often a 'crisis' condition ....the really bad stuff is small damage that accumulates over time, (and is rarely reversible). So two weeks one way or the other isn't likely to tip the balance.
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thank you both.
    Yes, Robert, I do self test.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It would be nice to see your diary. How many carbs and proteins do you eat a day?