Keto induced TOM?

Options
yablomx10
yablomx10 Posts: 34 Member
Hello!

Has anyone else on Keto experienced spotting in between TOM. I've been on Keto for a month and have been spotting for two weeks continuously and it has not stopped. Anyone else with a similar experience? Will it stop? Is this normal?

Replies

• Cheesasaur
    Cheesasaur Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My TOM changed up a lot when I started keto and took a few months to even out. The first few months it was like 3x heavier than it's ever been! Now it's lighter than ever before [18 months on keto now]. I haven't had a lot of trouble with spotting but check on /r/xxketo, I know shark week is a common topic there!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Fat helps regulate your hormones, so it can mess things up a bit. Before I started doing LCHF, I would have major cravings 1-2 days before I was supposed to start, go crazy with peanut butter or something similar, and start the next day. It was like my body needed that extra fat to be able to do it's thing, might have to do with my history of ED. While I had regular times, I would only have light spotting for one or two days. Last month, right after I started trying to do LCHF seriously, I had spotting for almost 10 days straight, so you aren't alone.
  • Sarasayshi
    Sarasayshi Posts: 12 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have been keto for 3 months and normally I have a period every 5-6 weeks due to my birth control pill but then last month I had one 3 weeks since my previous one and Now I am having one again after only 2 weeks since my last one. So it's definitely making my body a little whacked out.
  • yablomx10
    Options
    Ugh. I'm on my placebo week and definite experiencing a normal type TOM now. Before
    it was just light spotting. How long till you guys stopped spotting or even out somewhat? This is really annoying :(
  • LittleMamaVas
    LittleMamaVas Posts: 35 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So weird that you just posted this and I JUST scheduled a doc appointment for this very reason! I didn't even think there could be a connection to keto. Hmmmm. Thanks for posting. I started spotting about a week and a half after I started Keto. A week after I finished my TOM, I potted light red/pink for just over 24 hours and then brown for another two days (still going). Relieved to hear that you guys are also experienceing this but somwhere concerned also. My TOMs have always been super regular and now this is throwing things off. Anyone heard of things levelling off and becoming regular again?
  • LittleMamaVas
    LittleMamaVas Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sarasayshi wrote: »
    I have been keto for 3 months and normally I have a period every 5-6 weeks due to my birth control pill but then last month I had one 3 weeks since my previous one and Now I am having one again after only 2 weeks since my last one. So it's definitely making my body a little whacked out.

I wonder if that means you're also ovulating each time?
  • yablomx10
    Options
    I also wonder that as well. I also wonder if switching to a pill that only gives you your period 4 times a year would help?
  • Sarasayshi
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sarasayshi wrote: »

I wonder if that means you're also ovulating each time?
    Since I last posted this, I have had 3 more periods. I was starting to get a bit concerned but then I posted in the fb group "ketogains" and many women responded to my post with similar multiple period stories. Some said they bled for weeks; 2-3 weeks straight. I am thankful that my body is at least giving me one week between periods but dear lord it is annoying. I find myself carrying my feminine products with me at all times in case it starts.

Anyhow the women on the forum were saying that most of them experience this happening the first few weeks of Keto. I was concerned because I am now Keto for 4.5 months and really this started for me at about 2 months into Keto. I do believe the theory about fat cells holding onto estrogen is plausible. And maybe because I was about 40% body fat when I started, I just am taking a bit longer to deplete those estrogen stores. I will be sure to update you all in another month or so. I am so tempted to go off my mini bc pill but scared to.

Oh and one woman commented that at my age (39) it isn't uncommon to see higher levels of estrogen present which could present heavier and longer periods I guess. Not sure about that one.
  • Sarasayshi
    Options
    I am happy to report it has now been 2 whole weeks in which I haven't had a period. Yay! Sounds so goofy to say that but after having a period every other week there for 2 months, this feels like a milestone. I am hoping my hormones have leveled out and my estrogen stores have been dumped.