Water and/or food/gel during longer runs?

Options
FitFitzy331
FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
Hi, I'm new to runs lasting an hour and more but I've been running more often and plan to run my first half marathon this year.
How long are runs where you bring water with you? What about food or gel? Do you have any preference?
I have searched for some information on this but a lot of it sounds like personal preference. I'm just wondering what some experienced runners have to say on the topic. Thanks!

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Your body is hydrated enough and also has plenty of stored glycogen to get you through a 2-2.5hr long run without any additional intake.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Your body is hydrated enough and also has plenty of stored glycogen to get you through a 2-2.5hr long run without any additional intake.

I concur. I only take water and/or sports drink and gel when I'm testing for a marathon. I'll do that once or twice on a long run during a marathon training cycle. Every other run, up to 22 miles, is done fasted and without additional fuel or fluids. Physiologically speaking, you just don't need them.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I won't worry about any type of fueling until after I've completed a couple half marathons and move onto marathon training.
  • der1004
    der1004 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The assumption is you are referring to road. But if you are thinking of Trail rather than Road then they take longer to complete. Usually about 25% over the same distance. But either way the most important thing whether road or trail is that you do the same thing on race day as you did in training. i.e. if you never tried to eat a gel in training, especially while running, it wouldn't be a good idea to try that on race day.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks! I won't worry about any type of fueling until after I've completed a couple half marathons and move onto marathon training.

Training runs and races are not the same thing. If you plan on racing a half marathon you will want to have a topped up tank at the start and refuel ~every 45 minutes.

For hydration, different people have different needs. I'm like Carson; anything under 15 miles I don't even consider taking water with me but that might not be you. I'd suggest bringing a hand-held for your long runs even if you don't use it. After a few weeks if it becomes clear you won't need hydration you can leave it at home.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    A bit late to the party, but with a different perspective: I'm in the long and somewhat slow crowd, so I take water with me on double digit runs. I don't take any gels unless I'm running more than 12 miles & doing marathon-training mileage, but when I first started half-marathon training years ago I would take 1-2 gels with me as well as water. You probably won't get as dehydrated running in the winter (depending on where you live), but as it warms up, you might want to consider water or at least including drinking fountains on your route just to be safe until you get used to the warmer temps!
  • lada009
    Options
    Everyone is different. I have completed 3 marathons....i always take water and/or sports drink if i am running over an hour because i am a poor hydrater in general. I just dont drink enough fluids in general. I tend to bring a gel or sugary snack (skittles, starburst, etc.) if i am running double digits and eat if/ when i feel hungry, and have another every 45 minutes after the first.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've had runs where I don't need gels for 15 miles and runs where I start to crash at 8. I like to take a gel with me for anything double-digit just in case. I also design my routes in warmer weather so I have water available, either through drinking fountains or a couple out-and-backs from my car.
  • alane267
    alane267 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ya I'll see lots of people fueling up before half and full marathons with gels and protein. I would suggest this as you're going to be running a faster pace than training runs and will need more nutrients. I would probably only do one gel pack in the middle of the race and make sure to drink water at every station you see. A problem with the gel packs is that they can dehydrate you. Avoid any sports drinks as you won't need them and the added salt can cause cramping problems. Hope this helps and good luck with your races this year.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    alane267 wrote: »
    Ya I'll see lots of people fueling up before half and full marathons with gels and protein. I would suggest this as you're going to be running a faster pace than training runs and will need more nutrients. I would probably only do one gel pack in the middle of the race and make sure to drink water at every station you see. A problem with the gel packs is that they can dehydrate you. Avoid any sports drinks as you won't need them and the added salt can cause cramping problems. Hope this helps and good luck with your races this year.
    So much wrong with this.

Protein before a race is not a good idea. Too hard to digest.
    Gels don't dehydrate you. You just need water to aid absorbtion.
    Salt doesn't cause cramping.
    Sports drinks give you fuel from the sugars.
  • wtgrey
    wtgrey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do not require any water or nutrition for runs up to about 14 miles. On training runs longer than this, and in the marathon, I consume 4 ounces of a sports drink, and one glucose gel, every two miles starting with mile 12. I have never depleted my glycogen stores when following this plan.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Do, however, be mindful of the temperatures. This past weekend was the first day this season that we had temps in the upper 70s. I was routinely doing runs between 12 and 14 miles in this type of weather last fall without any fuel or fluids. On Saturday I went out for 11 miles without anything and I was completely dehydrated by the end of my run. I think it takes your body a little bit of time to adjust to changes form the norm. It may be because I have not been drinking as much water throughout the day and I need to up that now that it's getting warmer. But it's just something to be aware of.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    The "everyone is different" method is tried and true. I went to see a Q&A with the sports medicine doc at UCLA and she mentioned this. Listening to some of the long distance runners from Boston this week, many fuel every 5k with gels or food. For me, I listen to my body. I need water every 2 miles, even if it's just to "wet my whistle". I also carry salt packets with me. I use Honey Stinger products which are all natural and don't hurt my stomach. For me, the colder it is, the less I need to hydrate but for the warmer races, I use a Nathan's Hydration pack with 1.2L bladder. It's super helpful.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've just started carrying a handheld on anything longer than 10 miles, not entirely for hydration but because sometimes I just want to "refresh" my mouth. I'll also carry one packet of Honey Stinger Chews and eat a couple every 45 minutes or so simply as it's "something to do", LOL.