"Diet food" is not your friend!

Options
AliceNov2011
AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
If you're the least bit interested in cooking, you can do this whole "diet" thing without eating any "diet" food. No low cal, low fat, fake processed crap. I'm so, so sad for my friends who eat an abundance of junk in the name of "health" (Taco Bell is not a vegan choice), just less of it than they used to. They'll lose weight, but gain it right back as soon as they take their eye off the ball, and will have learned nothing. The trick, I think, is to learn to love good foods in proper proportions. I know nobody wants to "deprive" themselves, but truly, donuts and retried beans are nobody's friend.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Donuts I would agree with you, but refried beans are just beans prepared a specific way (basically mashed). Beans can certainly be part of a healthy diet. I'm not speaking of Taco Bell beans because God knows what's in those, but otherwise, refried beans are totally doable and can be prepared very healthfully.

I agree, btw, on "diet foods". My own dear sibling won't eat avocado because it's "fattening" but eats lots of packaged diet foods, and what not. In fact, she pays for Jenny Craig packaged foods. What happens when she stops paying Jenny?
  • AliceNov2011
    Options
    My Texas experience is that retried beans are full of lard. If they're just smashed, then I totally agree, and I'll have some!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    My Texas experience is that retried beans are full of lard. If they're just smashed, then I totally agree, and I'll have some!

Yes, some of them have lard. Not a good choice for a vegetarian I suppose. But they don't have to be prepared with lard. You can even get canned, organic refried beans that are vegetarian.

fwiw, I'd rather my mexican foods have lard than HFCS (which many are switching to for tortillas etc.) but that's just my own preference.

• AliceNov2011
    Options
    Agreed!

Truth is I wrote this post out of frustration because several friends who claim to be vegan eat virtually nothing but fast food garbage. I don't get that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Agreed!

Truth is I wrote this post out of frustration because several friends who claim to be vegan eat virtually nothing but fast food garbage. I don't get that.

I have a couple of friends who are vegan who eat only garbage as well. One of them won't even drink water, only soda. I guess soda is vegan.