FRUIT and SUGAR for weight loss

Options
tina4kids
tina4kids Posts: 24 Member
I'm in Week 12 of Low Carb and as of today, I've lost 35 pounds!

During the first 10 weeks I had no fruit, but the past couple weeks I've had a few strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. By adding fruit, my sugar count has jumped to the 20s. Is that too much sugar for weight loss?

What fruits can be eaten and how much sugar for continued weight loss?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I love berries and I eat them daily. As long as your hunger and cravings don't increase and you're losing weight, be berry happy. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    That's an individual determination. If you eating that way and still losing, run with it. If you stop losing, reduce or stop the fruit.

Lowest carb fruits are berries and stone fruits (peaches, plums). Everyone reacts differently. Enjoy if you're in the lucky few!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Funny topic

Nuts are worse for me than a kiwi fruit or blueberries

I get satisfied with one kiwi, fur on.

I can eat two handfuls of almonds and still want more. 10 times the calories

I guess it is about satisfaction and food triggers and how you handle it.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    @professionalHobbyist - Kiwi with the fur ON?! Hardcore! ;)
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    It is so messy otherwise

I can't eat passion fruit

I make a huge mess although I love that stuff passionately!!

• CoconuttyMummy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @professionalHobbyist - I (used to) eat Kiwis like a boiled egg. Just slice the very top off and scoop out the flesh with a teaspoon. Not messy that way :)

Tell you what is messy though ... Pomegranates :)
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    No wonder it is more filling, if you are eating our national bird ;-).
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Tweet, tweet ;)
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    @professionalHobbyist - I (used to) eat Kiwis like a boiled egg. Just slice the very top off and scoop out the flesh with a teaspoon. Not messy that way :)

Tell you what is messy though ... Pomegranates :)

Now aren't you the clever one.

Yay You!

I saw a dragon fruit at the store and just looked at it. What the heck?? Very cool purple thing with squiggly lines thru it.

All this talk of peeling and eating is making me eye an avocado that is sitting innocently on the kitchen window ledge.

Moderately messy but I can deal with it.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Uhuh, ye'sir, but not clever enough to know how to tackle a dragonfruit ;)

Give me an avocado now any day, Mmm lushness.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Mmm Dragon fruit... We cut ours into wedges and the kids eat it like a melon. The Fruit is white and speckled with black seeds... Like a dalmatian fruit.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    @professionalHobbyist - Kiwi with the fur ON?! Hardcore! ;)

My thought exactly!
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    You know those little hairs tickle your tongue!

Gotta be a tough guy and power thru that

But I won't eat raspberries. Those little seeds are like big pieces of sand...

A man has to draw a line somewhere!

• msmi1970
    msmi1970 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Funny topic

Nuts are worse for me than a kiwi fruit or blueberries

I get satisfied with one kiwi, fur on.

I can eat two handfuls of almonds and still want more. 10 times the calories

I guess it is about satisfaction and food triggers and how you handle it.

:) i know exactly what you mean...
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Almonds can be way too easy to over eat!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    tina4kids wrote: »
    I'm in Week 12 of Low Carb and as of today, I've lost 35 pounds!

During the first 10 weeks I had no fruit, but the past couple weeks I've had a few strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. By adding fruit, my sugar count has jumped to the 20s. Is that too much sugar for weight loss?

What fruits can be eaten and how much sugar for continued weight loss?

It depends on your individual goals. I tend to end up getting most of my carbs each day from veggies and berries. I LOVE my berries!

• tina4kids
    tina4kids Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What I'm trying to find out is........ how much fruit & sugar can be had to lose weight?

I haven't done a lot of research on low carb dieting (or keto) yet, so I don't know what numbers I need to be at. I just decided to cut way back on carbs and sugar, and so far its working great! For the most part, I have been staying under 50 carbs. For the first 10 weeks, I stayed well under 10 sugars. During the past 2 weeks, I've been around 20-25 sugars on days that I have berries. I love fruit, but don't want to stop losing weight for it!

I'd love to have some expert advice on low carb & keto dieting!

Thank you!

:)

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    That sounds reasonable for low carbing in general. I'd lower it a little more if you want to go Keto. But, that being said, as long as your carbs are in margin, and you aren't having sugar cravings, the details don't matter as much to some folks. If you're not diabetic, sounds like you're good to go.

The reason we all keep saying this is because like for me - I can't have berries and stuff. They make me want to binge eat all day long all the junk food. But I can eat 50 grams of carbs worth of broccoli and be fine. Someone else can eat the berries but not bread. Everyone is different. There is no ONE RULE FOR EVERYONE.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I agree with Knit... again :smiley:

I personally cant eat ANY fruits at the moment, and i have no intentions of including them in the near future either. I find they are far too high carb - i see them basically as candy with a few vitamins & minerals. You can get all those vitamins & minerals from veggies & the rest of your foods, (plus supplementation if you like just to ensure you're completely covered). Fructose (fruit sugar) is the worst type of sugar for your body. It can easily cause sugar/carb cravings, and for me there are many other foods i would choose to spend my carbs & calories on.

Im Keto & have to keep my carbs low below 20g (total) to remain in ketosis. I aim for as low carbs as possible, often settling around the 10g total mark. Others do fine with a few more carbs - sometimes 50g for example. I dont count sugar, so i cant comment on that. Personally id just stick to counting carbs, protein, fat, calories & maybe fiber, and keep your total carbs as low as you feel able.

YMMV, but i say beware of the fruit! Some people are fine with a few berries, but others do much better fruit-free, like moi.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I miss pomegranates. I wish they were always in season.

That being said, I'm too scared to try fruit until I'm closer to goal. But maybe I'll be there by pom season?