Low carb.....not for me?

Options
hkann76
hkann76 Posts: 12 Member
My husband, 14 yr old daughter and myself all started low carbing it 3 weeks ago. They are having great results. My husband is down 15 pounds and by daughter is down 8. I'm down 3 pounds and getting super frustrated. Is it possible that it's just not for me? The reason I did it is because I'm a carb-a-holic. Pasta being my biggest downfall. I was also told by many people that giving up soda would make me drop weight fast. I was a Diet Coke addict for around 15 years. Drinking it from the time I woke until the time I went to bed. I haven't had ANY soda for 3 weeks a long with the low carb. Three pounds doesn't sound right :(

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It's mostly about calories, but a lot of people will naturally eat less on a low-carb diet.

If you were a carbaholic and were gaining weight because of it, low-carb is definitely for you.

Share your macros, calories, and vital stats, and people will chime in with their opinions on how you can tweak. :)
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is normal and healthy weight loss. It is a good, sustainable rate, less prone to stalls and plateaus, and is gentler on your skin. I know it is difficult not to compare your success to others when they are losing comparatively more on the scale, but they have gender and youth on their side, and as long as you are feeling good or better than before, and you feel like this is a sustainable way of eating that you are not hungry and miserable on, you should stick with it and see where it takes you. Reevaluate at the two month mark and give your body some time to do its thing.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Also need more info. How much do you want to lose? If you are close to your goal you will lose more slowly. What are your carbs set at? Fat? Calories? Are you exercising? Drinking enough water?
  • dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've lost 12 lbs in 4 months while my husband has lost 42 pounds in 8 months. It's frustrating sometimes, but our metabolisms are different. I have some underlying autoimmune issues and he does not. My body is holding onto this weight and his isn't. It can be so frustrating to think that I've "only" lost about 3 pounds a month but that was more than I was losing doing anything else.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I just want to give you some food for thought. In the last 14 months, I've lost about 14 pounds. I gained some back right before I went low carb, so since going low carb, I've dropped 18 pounds (it's actually likely more, but I haven't weighed in since 6/18 due a challenge, and I gained about 4 pounds of water weight two days before I stopped weighing - which is what prompted the challenge...). But I've dropped more than that in inches. These pictures here are of a 14 pound difference. That is it.

95tyikuy1j0u.png

g18fx5l73f2r.png

If I can change my appearance this much with each SLOW 14 pounds, I'll take it! Every time. Because you know what, that's a pound a month, and you're already ahead of me there.... I just wanted to offer some tangible visible evidence that numbers aren't everything.
  • hkann76
    Options
    According to the Keto Calculator my carbs should be at 35g, protein at 81g and fat at 70g. My profile says 11 pounds lost, but that is with a start weight from 2 years ago (I don't know how to change my current start weight). I hate water, so I drink a lot of crystal light and I usually have 2 cups of coffee in the morning. Exercise is my downfall. I despise sweating....lol. I haven't found one form of exercise that I like. I know that is something I just need to get over, suck it up and do it. If I can give up diet coke then I can learn to like exercise?!?
    I'm not even close to my goal weight. I started at 246 and am at 243 right now.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'd give it some more time, some people just take longer to adjust I think. Are you meeting those macros? How are you feeling? I'd also recommend that you take measurements. I haven't lost a lot of scale weight, but I keep having to move to a different notch on my belt, so even though the weight loss isn't dramatic, changes are happening.
  • hkann76
    Options
    WOW! Those pictures are inspiring! Thank you everyone.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I definitely think your fat needs to be a lot higher. Make your fat macro more like 70%
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing 3 pounds!!! I too am a carb addict (or was) Thats enough reason for me to eat LC every day even if I werent losing weight

Instead of comparing your results to others, ask yourself if you now consider yourself a carb a holic? Or did you lose those awful cravings?

Men always lose more and much easier. Your daughter is younger. You all have different metabolisms,

It would be sad if you gave up a chance to heal just due to comparisons to others. You mayneed this a lot more tham they do. This may be your best chance to be a healthy weight with no carb addiction!

So for your sake, please try following the advice kindly left by others to fine tune your diet etc and give yourself a break.

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Protein grams are actually probably good, depending on body fat and such, but that seems like calories will be low. Keto carbs generally are 20 grams to start, though some folks can be more flexible. I don't know about you personally, but I try to stick to that 20-25 gram range. If I was at 35 grams, it would have to come almost all from veggies - high fiber veggies... Right now my carbs mainly come from dairy with less veggies.

And: Diet (aka food consumption) is for weight. Exercise is for fitness. Technically you never have to move a muscle sweating to lose the weight you need, but you'll want to get moving eventually to keep muscle tone up. But sincerely, at 250 or so, I think my calories are around 1800 at a deficit. I don't honestly know because I don't track them anymore. Just carbs. For me, with my metabolism in repair, they take care of themselves so far...

Learning to enjoy exercise will come more easily as you start losing inches!!!

Weight, inches, and pictures. All required to keep sane while on your journey to better health!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady, congrats on your loss!!

I would suggest you cut the crystal light for a little while and see if that helps. A lot of people are really sensitive to sugar substitutes, so maybe if you cut it for a week or so you'll see an improvement.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Hi @hezrene --There are plenty of us who are learning that slow and steady will will the game! I just recently learned that it's important to eat an amount of calories that's at the level of your BMR. Your calorie goal is probably way too low, which will shut down your metabolism. The keto calculator will tell you what your BMR is; I suggest you hike your calories up to that level and adjust your macros like Knit suggested.

I'm preaching to myself here, too: patience and perseverance, patience and perseverance, patience and perseverance! You can do it! :)
  • Syleyna
    Syleyna Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm with you there Hezrene.
    I was definitely a carb addict, possibly even a food addict. Coming up on my 3wk Low Carb High Fat lifestyle change and my cravings are gone. I eat when I'm hungry, which is nowhere near as often as it used to be.
    It feels like I'm doing such an excellent job and the weight should just DROP OFF because I'm doing so well. It's frustrating when it doesn't. So even though I have lost what others would consider a good amount in the time, I still feel like it's not enough. It'll never be enough. But I'm in this for the long term, because I FEEL so much better without the carbs.
    How about you?
  • jmarton1977
    jmarton1977 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest cutting the Crystal Light - I am really really sensitive to artificial sweeteners. Not only do they make me really hungry, but if I go overboard it directly impacts my weight loss. I've been stalled for months now, but I've not been super diligent about counting carbs and calories (I actually have to keep an eye on my calories as well). I just got back from vacation where I gained 3 pounds, and within two days of being super strict and pushing water that weight immediately disappeared. I also struggle with slow loss and am prone to comparing myself to other fast losers. It's so so very hard, but consistency is key.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I definitely think your fat needs to be a lot higher. Make your fat macro more like 70%

This! I just looked at your food diary. Up those fats! And maybe up your calories for a few weeks until you're fully keto adapted. 70-80% for fats is a good range.
  • _Virgo_
    _Virgo_ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hydration is super important in all this as well. Along with upping your fat intake it's extremely important to stay well hydrated with water while on this diet. I myself before going Keto was NEVER a big water drinker(or any kind of liquids) really, just never thirsty..or it always made me feel over full. Since starting this WOE I've noticed that has changed so much. I find myself thirsty quite a lot, (most likely due to the sodium intake) and water isn't the big drag it used to be. I've also read stories where people drank diet coke religiously on low carb...so it really depends on your body. Losing weight is probably 80% diet and 20% exercise. I waited until I was doing Keto for about 3 weeks before I began exercise. Didn't want to stress my brain or body out with too many changes at once and end up failing. It took time to gain the weight, it will take time to lose. Try to focus more on your journey and less on theirs. It's hard but it's probably for the best. No two bodies are the same, and us women do have it a bit harder in the losing weight department. Either way gratz on the 3lb loss!! Adjust your diet...make sure your deficit is appropriate for your body and you and you will get there!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I highly recommend for the first week to three weeks to not count calories - or rather not restrict them - because your body needs extra to convert the system and repair your metabolism. Artificially restricting your calories without adequate testing is what causes many folks to fail at going low carb in general. Now, if your metabolism never repairs to the point where you can hear that true hunger voice, calorie restriction does come into play, but remember, due to hormonal fluctuations, stress, activity, and a million different factors, it is literally impossible for your caloric requirement to be identical in any two given days... So just something to keep in perspective when evaluating calorie restriction, hunger, and all of that. My basic theory is that if it is body or stomach hunger, I eat. if it is a craving or my head/mouth telling me I'm hungry, I work hard to ignore it and change the subject until it forgets!
  • luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The first time I did low carb to lose baby weight years ago, I was missing a key component- fat. I was so focused on making sure I didn't eat carbs that I just ignored the fact that I needed to increase my dietary fat. I am one that believes that exercise is good for you mind and body- but not for necessarily for weight loss. At least for me- exercise tends to fan the hunger pangs and if I'm not careful I can eat way more then what I just burned. I eat a ketogenic diet- and I do not need to exercise to lose weight (I do need it to get fit and toned- just not to lose). I am an exercise junkie- but have chosen to not do strenuous exercise until I feel I am fully adapted to this new life style. I am making sure I stay active though- keeping my steps up, playing outside with my kids, gardening, etc.

Maybe make some dietary tweaks and give it a few more weeks. If you have trouble getting your fat intake up, look up recipes for "fat bombs" on pinterest. Don't let the name put you off- they are low carb treats and a good way to get your healthy fats.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    _Virgo_ wrote: »
    Hydration is super important in all this as well. Along with upping your fat intake it's extremely important to stay well hydrated with water while on this diet. I myself before going Keto was NEVER a big water drinker(or any kind of liquids) really, just never thirsty..or it always made me feel over full. Since starting this WOE I've noticed that has changed so much. I find myself thirsty quite a lot, (most likely due to the sodium intake) and water isn't the big drag it used to be. I've also read stories where people drank diet coke religiously on low carb...so it really depends on your body. Losing weight is probably 80% diet and 20% exercise. I waited until I was doing Keto for about 3 weeks before I began exercise. Didn't want to stress my brain or body out with too many changes at once and end up failing. It took time to gain the weight, it will take time to lose. Try to focus more on your journey and less on theirs. It's hard but it's probably for the best. No two bodies are the same, and us women do have it a bit harder in the losing weight department. Either way gratz on the 3lb loss!! Adjust your diet...make sure your deficit is appropriate for your body and you and you will get there!!

Actually, losing weight is 100% diet. Fitness is about exercise. Exercise can affect your weight loss, but you can burn 1,000 calories a day and if you're still eating 4,000 calories a day, you won't lose weight (unless you're some weird metabolic exception). So losing weight is about what you put in your mouth. You can affect your metabolism and all that, but I don't formally exercise, at all. Just normal activities like grocery shopping and cooking...