30 pounds of beets

Options
AngInCanada
AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
We just harvested 30 pounds of beets from our garden. I obviously have to freeze some of them but what else would you do that is keto friendly?

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Do you know how to can them? I don't, lol, but there is surely a website somewhere. I have ancient booklets on canning pickles and strawberries, but not beets.
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Pickling and canning would also be good should you wish for variety.

Carbs are not terrible: 13g carbs and 3.2g of fiber per cup. Completely doable as a side dish or a bake even on keto, assuming that you don't react to it.

I saw a recipe floating around the internet recently for a beet based pizza crust. Maybe it was from The Kitchn? It looked awesome.

I have done creamy blends of beet with other vegetables before, whipped cauliflower and beet could be quite tasty.

Oven baked beet chips or even kettle chips could make a crunchy addition to things. I went to a fancy mexican fusion restaraunt that served caramelized beet slivers on a taco salad instead of corn chips or a shell and it rocked.

Don't let those beet greens go to waste either! They are great when treated like spinach or cabbage or collard greens! Beet greens in a creamy cheese sauce are really stellar!

Good luck!
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    I could can then but its so hot here lol.

Ooh arete, all of those sound awesome. Never thought of beet chips! Will Google.
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I canned a bunch of pickled beets last year, but ended up not being able to eat them due to the sugar that was one of the ingredients used. Guess what? A lot of friends and family got pickled beets for the holidays. :D
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I looked up several Keto Beet Recipes when I bought some from a farmer's market, but I didn't get around to making any. Honestly, I just ended up putting them in my last batch of stock. Didn't make it pink or anything....looked normal. Flavor was good, too.
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Beets roasted in the oven are amazing. When I was veggie, we used to make beet burgers....shredded beets mixed with grains etc, so not keto, but a big thick slab of roasted beet makes a kinda yummy bacon cheese "burger".

I saw you make that eeew face lol !!!

• AngInCanada
    Options
    Beets roasted in the oven are amazing. When I was veggie, we used to make beet burgers....shredded beets mixed with grains etc, so not keto, but a big thick slab of roasted beet makes a kinda yummy bacon cheese "burger".

Lol wasn't it you who told me about another recipe that sounded eww but was really good? I'm trying to remember what it was now.
  • azcowgirrlup
    Options

Lol wasn't it you who told me about another recipe that sounded eww but was really good? I'm trying to remember what it was now.

Yes! It was grilled Romaine....
  • AngInCanada
    Options

Right! Lol. Mmm i should BBQ that tonight again too. ;)
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Are beets those purple things? I remember having something called beetroots as a kid and never again...good luck eating that many ;-)
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I like to make make bloody-beetroot dauphinoise....

Slice your beets thin and mix with double cream (heavy cream) and season with salt & pepper.
    Pour into a shallow dish and bake for about 1-1 1/2 hours on low heat (about 150C/300F).
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Are beets those purple things? I remember having something called beetroots as a kid and never again...good luck eating that many ;-)

Lol yes. We love beetroot ;) I am chopping the greens and freezing for later use in smoothies :)
  • AngInCanada
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    I like to make make bloody-beetroot dauphinoise....

Slice your beets thin and mix with double cream (heavy cream) and season with salt & pepper.
    Pour into a shallow dish and bake for about 1-1 1/2 hours on low heat (about 150C/300F).

Yum!!! Sounds good!
  • azcowgirrlup
    Options

Right! Lol. Mmm i should BBQ that tonight again too. ;)

Yrs! Its so simple and so yummy!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I love making a kind of coleslaw with shreds of raw beet. I used to put some raw beet in juice, but I'm not eating beets and carrots right now.

Last year I did make the best pickled beets, using a very slight amount of sugar. I can't remember which website I got the recipe from, just googled and changed the recipe anyway. I did give a lot of pickles away as gifts, and everyone loved the beets.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Send them my way!

I love cold beets, walnuts and feta salad.
    I love roasted beets.
    I love beet chips.
    I love woked beet greens.
    Basically, I love beets (and all root vegetables).